40K VWMkV - Round #6 - Battle #61 - Necrons versus Siam-Hann Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

40K VWMkV - Round #6 - Battle #61 - Necrons versus Siam-Hann Eldar

Please see this thread on how to participate in these games. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything. He who stands the best way to score Victory Points should be the winner. All missions have the Infiltration, Deep Strike, and Victory Points special rules.

Mission Type - Cleanse

Necrons

Necron Lord:
    Staff of Light; Resurrection Orb; Veil of Darkness

10x Warriors
    Gauss Flayers

10x Warriors
    Gauss Flayers

7x Immortals
    Gauss Blasters

7x Immortals
    Gauss Blasters

10x Flayed Ones
    Infiltration; Deep Strike

5x Destroyers
    Gauss Cannons

9x Scarab Bases

Phase Out: 12

Tactics:
    Warriors
    I set my Warriors up on the front line. They move most of the time to get into firing position, so I like them as close a possible to start out with. I keep the squads within 6" whenever possible.

Immortals
    I line the Immortals up behind the Warriors to give them cover fire as the Warriors move forward. They also stay within 6" whenever possible.

Flayed Ones
    These guys stick behind the main force of Warriors/Immortals and will either charge units that are preparing to charge me or let the unit get charged and the Lord Veil them away, then charge the enemy unit left in the open.

Lord
    He stays near the Warrior/Immortal core and provides Res Orb support. If any of the units get charged, I'll Veil them out and let the remaining guns/Flayed Ones clean up. I also use the Veil for last turn Objective moves.

Destroyers
    I let these guys cover one of my flanks (preferrably the one with enemy armor pointed at it). They use cover and are not afraid of Dangerous Terrain tests. I'll also sacrifice their shooting for last turn Objective moves with TB

Scarabs
    These guys will cover the opposite flank than the Destroyers. If needs be, I'll TB them out in the open for target priority checks or speed bumps for incoming charging units. I'll also chase down heavy support squads with them.

General
    I try to keep the main core of my army (Warriors/Immortals) in a group. I spread them out when facing template guns, but maintain 6" coherency for WBB purposes. Also, when given the choice I'll go last. This gives me one extra round of WBB (to get back scoring units, prevent Phase Out, etc.)

-----------------

Siam-Hann Eldar

HQ 103
    Elites: 0
    Troops: 0
    Fast Attack: 1185
    Heavy Support: 210

Farseer:
    Mindwar; Singing Spear; Eldar Jetbike w/ Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults

3 Vypers;
    3x Starcannon and Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults

3 Vypers;

3 Vypers;

3 Vypers;
    3x Bright Lance and Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults

3 Vypers;
    3x Bright Lance and Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults

3 Vypers
    3x Dual Shuriken Cannons (Not Twin-Linked)

Falcon:
    Pulse Laser, Starcannon; Shuriken Cannon; Holo-field; Spirit Stones

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Saim-Hann take this one hands down.

I have no doubt forged and some others will come up with statistics about how quickly vypers die to immortals and destroyers but with sheer numbers of ap2 shots the necrons will be melted incredibly fast. The necron lord will be wetting himself over mind war as that could effectively remove the res orb and veil of darkness.

Necrons will be gutted down to the point of phase out relatively quickly.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Actually, im with you on this on.

Unlike the space wolves, only one squad of necrons can teleport to get in range of the vypers.

Secondly, the glancing hits special rule of the necrons is wasted on vypers.

Third, the vypers have a good mix of weapons-

AP 4 masses shot weapons for the scarabs.

8 strenght weapons to cut down necrons not near the lord.

Massed AP 2 weapons to cut down necrons who are near the lord, and would come back no matter what, so your best off just killing them with less then instant death stuff anyway.

Unlike the space wolves, the vypers have a fair chance of getting shots off before the necrons do.

starcannons: 30 shots, 15 hits, 12.6 wounds, WBB 6.3, (rerolled?) --> 3.15 Thats still good if its immortals..

The skimmers can take table quarters easer then the necrons, who will be fighting for there lives.

Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

shuriken cannons are only ap5. Makes no difference to scarabs.

WBB isn't rerolled, thats only while going through a monolith and this list doesnt have one.

7 man immortal squads is a weakness. They have to stay side by side, one of them cant go off in veil of darkness. If they do split up Saim-Hann will concentrate firepower on one squad and kill it completely not allowing WBB.

Range will cripple the necrons in this case. Saim-Hann don't even have to keep moving so stunned and immobilised doesnt kill them.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink
    shuriken cannons are only ap5. Makes no difference to scarabs.
    Yeah, scarabs have a 5+ save.

I agree with forged. Every Eldar unit has a purpose in this mission. Massed firepower will kil the crons.

starcannons: 30 shots, 15 hits, 12.6 wounds, WBB 6.3, (rerolled?) --> 3.15 Thats still good if its immortals..
    Only re-rolled if the Necron player has a monolith. And if the Eldar can concentrate firepower to knock out one unit at a time, the Necrons won't get we'll be back. If the whole unit is downed by shooting then they can't get WBB without a tomb spyder.

Cheese-Hann

As an aside note, Eldar players yes I called it cheese because there's almost 20 vehicles, one of which has a holofield, and it has 10 starcannons. I've never seen a 10-starcannon list lose to anything except IG and Ravenwing. For this reason I am putting my fluff vote into the Necron list. If you think that it's fluffy because Sian-Hann and they're supposed to be vehicle mounted well GW did a good job making a rediculous excuse to field that many very-mobile starcannons. I'd be happier if Ravenwing was allowed to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar

While that math holds up against regular Necron Warriors (with the exception of the two WBB rolls), Immortals have a higher toughness value, so the math would end up being -

30*(1/2)*(2/3) = 10 wounds, half of which will stand back up, so in total five kills if every Starcannon shot at an Immortal squad. However, if all firepower was directed at a single Immortal squad, it'd be wiped out completely, and the Necron player would need the other Immortal squad within six inches in order to claim the WBB rolls.
    Last edited by Caluin; July 23rd, 2006 at 20:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    30*(1/2)*(2/3) = 10 wounds, half of which will stand back up, so in total five kills if every Starcannon shot at an Immortal squad. However, if all firepower was directed at a single Immortal squad, it'd be wiped out completely, and the Necron player would need the other Immortal squad within six inches in order to claim the WBB rolls.
    He'd also need a tomb spyder, mind you. If the Starcannons are concentrated, the necrons are doomed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel1990
    He'd also need a tomb spyder, mind you. If the Starcannons are concentrated, the necrons are doomed.
    Tomb Spyder is not needed, though it does help. The Tomb Spyder only extends the range of friendly unit WBB rolls from six inches to the entire battlefield, so long as the Spyder is within 12 inches of the downed Necrons.

But even without the Tomb Spyder, Necron models may WBB if there is a like type model within six inches, even in a different unit. They'll simply join up with that unit if they stand up. So it is possible, though unlikely, that the Necron list could have 14 models in their Immortal squad.

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

As much as I hate to see my list out, I'm going to have to go Eldar as well. All those starcannon shots on bikes that can zip around outside the Immortal effective range is going to be the death of my list. While the Destroyers will be able to drop a squad of vipers a round (if they can see them) I don't see them surviving the first round of Eldar fire.

At least I can take solace in the fact that the Falcon will most likely die.

I see this match ending in Phase Out for my golden toasters.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Gojiratoho
    As much as I hate to see my list out, I'm going to have to go Eldar as well. All those starcannon shots on bikes that can zip around outside the Immortal effective range is going to be the death of my list. While the Destroyers will be able to drop a squad of vipers a round (if they can see them) I don't see them surviving the first round of Eldar fire.

At least I can take solace in the fact that the Falcon will most likely die.

I see this match ending in Phase Out for my golden toasters.
    Well look at it this way, it took 10 starcannons and a holofield to stop you! Nothing can realistically beat that, consider yourself just a bit unlucky that you had to face it this early.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast