Mini VW Teams: Round 2, Battle 10: IG & DH VS. Death Guard & World Eaters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x2)

Mini VW Teams: Round 2, Battle 10: IG & DH VS. Death Guard & World Eaters

Please see this thread to find out how to participate in Votewar: Teams. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything. He who stands the best way to score Victory Points should be the winner. Unless it's Night Fight, Rescue, or Patrol, all missions have the Gamma rules set.

Mission Type - Seek and Destroy (Neither dusk nor dawn will occur)

Imperial Guard

Doctrines

Close Order Drill
    Light Infantry

HQ 1

Junior Officer
    4x Guardsmen
    2 w/ Autocannon
    =55 points

Troops 1

Junior Officer
    4x Guardsmen
    2 w/ Autocannon
    =55 points

10x Guardsmen
    1 w/ Plasma Gun
    2 w/ Missile Launcher
    =85 points

10x Guardsmen
    1 w/ Plasma Gun
    2 w/ Missile Launcher
    =85 points

10x Guardsmen
    1 w/ Plasma Gun
    2 w/ Lascannon
    =95 points

10x Guardsmen
    1 w/ Plasma Gun
    2 w/ Lascannon
    =95 points

Troops 2

Junior Officer
    4x Guardsmen
    2 w/ Autocannon
    Light Infantry
    =65 points

10x Guardsmen
    1 w/ Plasma Gun
    2 w/ Lascannon
    Light Infantry
    =105 points

10x Guardsmen
    1 w/ Plasma Gun
    2 w/ Lascannon
    Light Infantry
    =105 points

Elites 1

10x Veterans
    2 w/ Plasma Guns
    2 w/ Lascannon
    =125 points

Heavy Support 1

1x Basilisk w/ Indirect Fire
    =125 points

Total - 1000

Tactics - Pretty straight forward. The Veterans and the 25 other Infantry will Infiltrate if permitted to take objectives and harass the enemy close-up (getting into fire lanes otherwise blocked) while the rest of the army sits tight and uses their long-ranged weaponry to shoot. The Basilisk will be placed out of LOS whenever possible to use the Earthshaker cannon.

Daemonhunters

Main Force
    HQ

Inqisitor Lord Velis with Retinue
    -Inquisitor Lord
    -Psycannon
    -Auspex
    -1x Heavy Bolter Servitor
    -1x Plasmacannon Servitor
    -2x Sages
    -1x Mystic
    -2x Acolytes
    Cost: 189 points

Elites

Death Cult of Imardis
    -2x Death Cult Assassins

Troops - 256

Mounted Inquisitorial Stormtrooper Squad Alpha
    -5x IST
    -2x Meltaguns
    -3x Hellguns
    -Targeters
    -Frag Grenades
    -Rhino
    -Extra Armor
    -Smoke Launchers
    Cost: 128 points

Mounted Inquisitorial Stormtrooper Squad Gamma
    -5x IST
    -2x Plasmaguns
    -3x Hellguns
    -Targeters
    -Frag Grenades
    -Rhino
    -Extra Armor
    -Smoke Launchers
    Cost 128 points

Fast Attack

Grey Knights Squad Imri
    -8x Grey Knights
    -Storm Bolters
    -Nemesis Force Weapons
    -1x Grey Knight Justicar
    -Storm bolter
    -Nemesis Force Weapon
    Cost: 250 points

Grey Knights Squad Arcai
    -7x Grey Knights
    -Storm Bolters
    -Nemesis Force Weapons
    -1x Grey Knight Justicar
    -Storm bolter
    -Nemesis Force Weapon
    Cost: 225 points

Total: 1,000

Tactics - the Assassins and Fast Attack GK units can be infiltrated/deepstruck forward in support of the guard infiltrators, or held back as countercharge units. The HQ will sit with the more static guard elements and add to fire support, and the mobile IST units will move to claim objectives/find targets as needed.

VERSUS

Death Guard

HQ
    Chaos Lt.
    The Fourth Horseman
    MoN, Manreaper, CSM Bike, Aura, F. Charge, Rot
    Cost: 145 points

7x Plague marines.
    Infiltrate, 2x Plasma guns
    Champ
    P. fist, Mutation, Visage, Rot
    Cost: 206 points

7x Plague marines.
    Infiltrate, 2x Plasma guns
    Champ

7x Plague marines.
    Infiltrate, 2x melta guns
    Champ

7X Havocs
    4x Plasma
    Infiltrate
    Champ w/
    P. Fist, Rot
    Cost: 234 points

Total: 997 points

World Eaters

Bloodthirster

8 World Eaters
    1 Aspiring Champion w/Axe of Khorne, Bolt Pistol, Demonic Chains
    1 w/ Chaos Icon
    6 w/Bolt Pistols and CCWs
    Cost: 187 points

8 World Eaters
    Aspiring Champion w/Power Fist
    1 w/ Chaos Icon
    6 w/Bolt Pistols and CCWs
    Cost: 167 points

8 Bloodletters 208

8 Hounds of Khorne

Total: 935 points

signature pending

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Well, I definately see an army that just found a battle where it wasted a lot of points on infiltration..

I'm gonna vote Nurgle and Khorne because the khorne aspect of the chaos team throws off the gaurd infiltrating and the nurgle part of the team provides a fairly decent speedbump for the berzerkers to get in close.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

No, the infiltration is still usefull. Guard, I would suggest, get just as much benifit from infiltration as close combat armies. One of the biggest mistakes is assuming that infiltration means that they're going to be closer.

The biggest advantage to infiltration on a shooting unit is the when, aspect of it not the how close.

It lets the guard set up in such a way as to counter the deployment of the enemies troops. In this case it could potentially allow them to set up in cover with really nice firing lains to the oncomming bezerkers: as far as they can get from them. But they can't get away from the plague marines very easy due to them also infiltrating.

That said I'm still going to have to vote for Chaos The plague marines are well suited for tying things up, and will be devistating to the guard lines with rot & bolters & getting into CC where the guard wound on 6's

The bloodletters can be summoned in responce to the FAGK, tearing them to shreds & the Bezerkers can just walk through pretty much the entire enemy force besides the FAGK, wich if I recall is a comperable opponent on the model for model basis. It should be pretty close, but I do give Chaos this win.
    Votewar MKV 2nd place. . .

Back from internet limbo, and glad to be here.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

The IG dont need to hide from the nurgle at all - they will be sournding with greyknights - who are much better then plauge marines - if anyting the IG will be a shield.

The IG will advance, if the nurgle get first turn, rapid firing into them. If the nurgle so second the IG hold there ground and blast into the plague marines.

The greyknights will follow suit.

In a fire fight the IG will come out on top. The greyknights will finish off the plague marines in CC, with 6S, and sevial powerweapons.

This will leave the nugle army cut off from its reservers, as i feel the demon hunters can very quickly deal with the nurgle.

Therefore this battle willl play out 2 VS 1 and then 2 Vs 1 - instead of 2 v 2 the entire battle - because basically the korn army is out of the fight for the first 2-3 turns.
    Last edited by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar; September 2nd, 2006 at 21:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar
    The IG dont need to hide from the nurgle at all - they will be sournding with greyknights - who are much better then plauge marines - if anyting the IG will be a shield.
    I think that's a misconception. They're pretty even in all respects, IMO.

Shooting wise, Bolters = Storm bolters at close range. Nurgle has an edge since they have the 2x Meltas and are harder to wound. GK have an edge since they can get their shots off earlier, and have an extra marine. However, I'm willing to bet that the GK will have to close into combat or risk being shot to death.

CC wise, the GKs wound on a 3+, but the Nurgle only wound on a 4+. However, the Nurgle Champ has a PFist, so wounding on 2+, with an extra attack over the GKs, and Nurgle's Rot, which might claim a GK or two.

But what will be real funny to see is the Rot effecting the Guard. Watch 'em die in droves!

The GK in no way can stand up to the Berzerkers. They'll have to be taken out via shooting.

The thing that bugs me most about the WE list is that there is no ToBB on the Champs. This makes the Bloodletters almost useless. Chances are they'll arrive on turn two, at least by three, and I highly doubt either unit will be close enough to allow the Bloodletters a chance at getting into combat that turn. This means they're stuck out in the open, relying upon the Hounds and Plague Marines to clog firing lanes so they're not shot to pieces.

The Bloodthirster isn't so bad, since it can fly. That in itself will probably destroy the entire IG/DH army. No GK Master to Force Weapon it, and no real combat unit that can stand up to it. The GK Justicars do pretty good, but I'm positive they're going to be far too busy dealing with Berzerkers and Plague Marines to have a chance. They can't be everywhere, and they can't do everything.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

I think that's a misconception. They're pretty even in all respects, IMO.
    hah.. wow, i was tried. I thought this was the list with 30 grey knights + that whicked HQ.

So i think ill remove my vote for now, and reevaluate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos

Hard one here.

1. The IG have two choices, concentrate on shooting down Nurgle or shooting down Khorne. With BS of 3 IG must mass their firepower to have any hope of taking down T5 Marines. Though with the IST from the DH list the amount of AP2 weapons rises, I don't think that there will be enough firepower per target Plague Marine units to keep them from getting into CC. Once there the Guard firing lanes will be disrupted and Rot will begin to take it's toll. Forgot to mention the fact that a bike riding Man Reaper armed HQ will move from unit to unit cutting them down in droves...

2. In this game Khorne is on the short end. Having to run into the guns is never a good thing. That being said, the setup conditions are favorable to the World Eaters. No closer than 24in and no further than 15 from their table edge means that the WE will arrive in combat on either turn 2 or turn 3 with their demons out and ready to go. If any of the guard were foolhardy enough to deploy closer then the body count will start early.

3. the Deep Striking Grey Knights have the greatest chance of disrupting the battle plan by teleporting behind the khorne lines and tempting or forcing the berzerkers to run backwards. But since the greay knights are so expensive this could very well go against them if they are caught in a wave of ever-returning demons in the Chaos backfield. S6 is nice but Grey Knights are still Marines and Berzerkers were meant to cut them down with their Khornate Chainaxes and Power Fists.

4. It all comes down to whether or not Chaos can land a coordinated well timed blow with the Plague Marines asorbing insane amounts of firepower and both armies assaulting at roughly the same time. Even if only an aspiring champion from each unit makes it to the guard it should be enough to roll the line back and clear the way for the Bloodthirster to eviscerate that pesky shooty inquisitor.

CHAOS for the win

Closed Thread