40K VoteWar MkVI - Round 1 - Battle 12 - Dark Angels versus Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

40K VoteWar MkVI - Round 1 - Battle 12 - Dark Angels versus Tyranids

Please see this thread on how to participate in these games. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything. He who stands the best way to score Victory Points should be the winner.

Mission Type - Seek and Destroy

Mission Rules - Victory Points

Dark Angels Deathwing
    Deathwing From Above

Codicier Librarian (Attached to Command Squad #1):
    Terminator Armour; Stubborn; Force Weapon; Fear of the Darkness

4x Deathwing Command Squad Terminators (#1):
    Stubborn
    1x Storm Bolter & Power Fist; 2x Assault Cannon & Power Fist
    Sergeant w/ Storm Bolter & Power Weapon
    Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Launchers

Codicier Librarian (Attached to command squad #2):
    Terminator Armour; Stubborn; Force Weapon; Power Weapon; Veil of Time.

4x Deathwing Command Squad Terminators (#2):
    Stubborn
    1x Storm Bolter & Power Fist; 2x Assault Cannon & Power Fist
    Sergeant w/ Pair of Lightning Claws
    Drop Pod w/ Twin Linked Storm Bolter

Dreadnought:
    Plasma cannon; Extra Armour; DCCW; Heavy Flamer

Dreadnought:
    Plasma cannon; Extra Armour; DCCW; Heavy Flamer

5x Deathwing Terminators:
    Stubborn
    2x Storm Bolter & Power Fist; 2x Assault Cannon & Power Fist

5x Deathwing Terminators:
    Stubborn
    2x Storm Bolter & Power Fist; 2x Assault Cannon & Power Fist

-------------------------

Hive Fleet Wyvern
    Tyranids

Hive Tyrant
    2x Scything talons; Adrenal Glands (WS); Adrenal Glands (I) ; Toxin Sacs; Wings

Broodlord
    Extended Carapace; Feeder Tendrils; Flesh hooks;
    6x Genestealers (Broodlord Retinue)
    Extended Carapace; Scything talons

4x Warriors
    Enhanced Senses; Extended Carapace
    1x Venom Cannon & Scything Talons; 3x Deathspitter & Scything Talons

Carnifex
    2x Twin-Linked Devourer; Enhanced Senses; Flesh Hooks

8x Genestealers;
    Extended Carapace

15x Hormagaunts

10x Termagaunts
    Fleshborers

15x Spinegaunts
    Spinefists

15x Spinegaunts
    Spinefists

16x Gargoyles
    Fleshborer; Bio-plasma

2x Zoanthropes
    Warp Field; Synapse; Warp Blast; Toxic Miasma

Carnifex
    Venom Cannon; Barbed Strangler; Reinforced Chitin; Extended Carapace; Enhanced Senses

Carnifex
    2x Scything Talons; Bonded Exoskeleton; Extended Carapace; Reinforced Chitin; Spinebanks; Tail Weapon – Mace; Tusked

Last edited by Caluin; November 30th, 2006 at 22:41.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

As a Deathwing player who goes up against Nidz fairly often I feel fairly well qualified to make a judgement here.

This is an interesting DW army. However I wouldnt have selected many of the uinits shown here.

First DW turn will see 1 Termie, 1 Command Termie and 1 Dreadnought land. Hopefully as close to 24" away from the Tyranids as possible, though the Dreadnought might be sacrificed to clear some Genestealers.

The Termies can probably shoot the rest of the Genestealers down (4 AC's is a fair wack of firepower with some Storm Bolters on top.

The Tyranids advance, given scatter some gaunts might even reach combat where they'll tie up but not destroy a Term squad. It's also likely that the Dread will be killed.

At this stage the game turns into a general melee with 'Pod reinforcements coming in, Tyranids being shot and then Assaulting but,

The Monstrous Creatures are near untouchable. With the Assault Cannon pounding on the Gaunts or trapped in combat (given the precariousness of scatter) The Tyranid MC's ought to be nearly untouchable (2 Plasma Cannon not likely to achieve much.)

If it was a 'terrain' based game the Nidz ought to win fairly easily with the DW unwilling to approach the Behemoths and Nidz holding the objectives.

So after all that meandeing Tyranids
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Looking at the lists, and then at Silver Wings' post, I have to say that I agree on pretty much all of his points.

Though the intial landing, with the Deathwing coming in and filling some Genestealers and Gaunts with hot lead, the Terminators are going to find themselves bogged down by the hordes of little guys, leaving them helpless to stop the Monstrous Creatures from doing as they like.

The only chance I can see for the Dark Angels is that if they're swarmed by enough Gaunts, the MCs won't be able to fit into base contact with any of the Terminators, which will stop them from causing any damage for a bit. Once they have room, though, the Terminators will probably be taken down pretty quickly, since they'll likely have already lost a model or two to massed numbers of Gaunt attacks.

I'm going to vote for the Tyranids.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Well, it seems to me, the deathwing player has an all or nothing chance to cut the nids head off in the intial landing, and then pop off fear of the darkness - which will either have a super awsome effect, or be the greatest failure in in the history of the death wing, as they send 30 of there finest to their deaths.

Anyway:

Terminator squad firing at the tyrant: 2 ACs: 1.33 rends, 4 hits, 2 wounds, .88 failed (3+), Total: 2.21 wounds.

Even if the storm bolter scored a wound - which it wont, thats not enough fire power to cut through the tryant, and thus the nids wont be bothered by fear of the darkness.

Nids win.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    Well, it seems to me, the deathwing player has an all or nothing chance to cut the nids head off in the intial landing, and then pop off fear of the darkness - which will either have a super awsome effect, or be the greatest failure in in the history of the death wing, as they send 30 of there finest to their deaths.

Anyway:

Terminator squad firing at the tyrant: 2 ACs: 1.33 rends, 4 hits, 2 wounds, .88 failed (3+), Total: 2.21 wounds.

Even if the storm bolter scored a wound - which it wont, thats not enough fire power to cut through the tryant, and thus the nids wont be bothered by fear of the darkness.

Nids win.
    Even if they did (somehow) bag the HT there's still a Broodlord at the bottom of a Genestealer unit and a squad of Warriors to provide synapse, not an argument I know but I really do feel that if two DA players (myself and Forged) can vote against this DW list it hasn't much chance.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

gaunts stand no chance against terminators. They will just be chewed up easily (admittedly that what gaunts are meant to do). I think dark angels have a good advantage.

However 3 monstrous creatures on the board makes them very nervous. I'm going to with-hold my vote until someone wants to argue the deathwing can deal with those 3 monsters.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink View Post
    gaunts stand no chance against terminators. They will just be chewed up easily (admittedly that what gaunts are meant to do). I think dark angels have a good advantage.

However 3 monstrous creatures on the board makes them very nervous. I'm going to with-hold my vote until someone wants to argue the deathwing can deal with those 3 monsters.
    Don't really want to go into the mathhammer portion of Votewar, as I think it's kind of silly, but Terminators don't have that many attacks... when in CC, how do you think so many attacks will go? They won't all bounce off that beautiful Terminator save, and the Terminators will always be outnumbered. Just killing two or three Terminators may well pay for the entire unit of Gaunts.

With the presence of a swarm (by Deathwing standards), immunity to Fear of the Darkness (I think, due to synapse.. correct me if I'm wrong, please!), and so many Monstrous Creatures around, I think the 'Nids will be able to eat the Deathwing alive.

Tyranids for the win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

228 (x8)

Gaunts are weaker than guardsmen in cc (actually don't they have more initiative?). If that was 15 guardsmen charging the terminators would you think of the same outcome?
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

252 (x0)

Gaunts are weaker than guardsmen in cc (actually don't they have more initiative?). If that was 15 guardsmen charging the terminators would you think of the same outcome?
    They have better Iniatitive, yes.

30 attacks, which hit on a 4+. That comes to 15 hits. Needing 5+ to Wound, that comes to what, 5 Wounds? That's just under 1 dead Terminator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

They're actually quite comparable to each other.

Gaunts have the same Weapon Skill, Strength, and Toughness as Guardsmen, but have higher initiative and have the benefit of being Fearless when fighting. It is true they have a slightly worse save, but that's sort of a moot point against enemies that field only Powerfists/weapons.

It's not so much that the gaunts are going to do damage - it's the fact that they can't be broken once they get into combat.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast