Mini VW round 3- battle 2 Lost and the Damned vs Imperial Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Mini VW round 3- battle 2 Lost and the Damned vs Imperial Guard

Please see the battle's and breakthrough's recruitment thread on how to participate in these games. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything.

Mission Type- Blitz

Special Rules- Special Rules- deepstrike; fortifications; hidden set-up; infiltrate; obstacles; preliminary bombardment; reserves; victory points

Defender:
    HQ:

2x Aspiring Champions:
    2x Mark Undivided; 2x Demonic Mutation; 2x Powerfist; 2x Bolt pistol

Elite:

8x Deamonettes

8x Deamonettes

Troops:
    30x Mutants:
    25x Close combat weapons; 2x Icon bearers CCW; 2x Flamer
    Mutant Boss
    Powerfist; CCW

30x Mutants:
    25x Close combat weapons; 2x Icon bearers CCW; 2x Flamer
    Mutant Boss
    Powerfist; CCW

5xTraitors
    infiltrate
    4x Las Rifles; 1x Las Cannon

5xTraitors
    infiltrate
    4x Las Rifles; 1x Las Cannon

Heavy Suport

Leman Russ Battle Tank:
    Turret-mounted Battle Cannon; Hull Heavy bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters

Leman Russ Battle Tank:
    Turret-mounted Battle Cannon; Hull Heavy bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters

Attacker:
    Unit Key:
    DT = Drop Troops, coming in via deep strike
    INF = Infiltrating
    REG = Regular Set up

Doctrines:
    Drop Troops
    Veterans
    Light Infantry
    Special Weapon Squads

HQ
    JO
    Plasma Pistol; PFist; Honorifica
    4X Meltaguns
    Doctrines (DT)

Fire Support Alpha
    3x lasguns; 3X Heavy Bolters
    Doctrines (INF)

Demolitions Team :
    3x lasgun; 1 Demo; 2X Meltaguns
    Doctrines : 85 (DT)

Bunker Buster Team
    3x lasguns; 1 Demo; 2X Meltaguns
    Doctrines (DT)

Troops
    1st Platoon, Drop Infantry:
    HQ:
    JO,
    Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon
    2X Plasmaguns; 2X Meltaguns
    Doctrines (DT)

1SQD:
    7x Lasgun; plasma gun; missile launcher
    Vet Sgt; bolter
    Doctrines: (INF)

2SQD:
    7x Lasgun; plasma gun; missile launcher
    Vet Sgt; bolter

2nd Platoon, Drop Infantry:
    HQ: JO, stormbolter, 4X Plasmaguns, Doctrines : 95 (DT)
    1SQD:
    7x lasgun; Missile launcher; grenade launcher
    Vet Sgt; bolter
    2SQD:
    7x lasgun; Heavy Bolter; grenade launcher
    Vet Sgt; bolter

Fast Attack
    "Lone Wolf" Recon: 1X Sentinels;
    1X Multilasers; Improved Comms: (INF)

"Solus Lupus" Recon: 1X Sentinels;
    1X Multilasers; Improved Comms: (INF)

Heavy Support
    Field Artillery Battery: 1X Basilisk
    Indirect Fire: (REG)

Unit Types: 5 DT, 7INF

Mission: If the mission allows DS, then the teams marked with a DT will DS in, the Demo teams going for tanks/armor, the HQ squads working together to take out high T targets, HQs, Termies, etc. If the mission also allows infiltration then the rest of the army infiltrates. If the missions doesn't allow DS, then the troops marked DT will infiltrate in, assuming it is allowed. If Infiltration isn't allowed, they all set up normally.

The Sentinel with the INF/DT designation will DS in (if allowed) if going against more static opponents or opponents with lots of armor (Guard for example). Otherwise it will infiltrate.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Interesting battle, especially since this Guard army played the same mission last round.

Only this time I fear the battle is a little more even, and may slightly favor the LatD.

Let's see:

Pro's for Guard:
    - Can infiltrate almost entire army into position and set up good fire lanes
    - Good AP weaponry means dead mutants
    - DS teams have ability to cause massive havoc

Cons:
    - No CC ability to mutants will overrun them in CC
    - Little long range AT ability so Russes will be a problem. Granted the DS teams COULD knock out the russes, I just think it may be a little difficult

Pro's for LatD:
    - Armor. 2 pie plates a turn against the guard = lot's of ptentially dead grunts
    - Mutant Hordes. CC ability will overrun the guard once they get there.

I mean This one looks even. IF the guard manage to DS their teams early and near the Russes, I say the game is pretty much theirs. Furthermore, if they DS 1 of those Sentinels, it may swing the game even more in their favor. S6 against S/R armor of a Russ is potentially deadly.

If they fail to DS soon, then the LatD will inflict enough casualties that forces the Guards hand.

Undecided right now
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

OMG what happed to my post

Well im sure the deep striking metlagun squads can take out or damage the Leman Russ tanks and these squads will come in fast thanks to the Improved Comms. Same story for the command squads who will slow down the Mutants and kill a few and that meltagun command squad will help kill the russ's.

The Demo charges and the Basilisk will have a good chance who covering a lot of Mutants with pie plates while the other guard troops with no other real targets will kill off the Mutants. They will get to the guard lines but not before they have taken heavy damage.

I need to go to work now
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Guard suffer from morale and LatD don't. That clinches it for me.

Mutants will make it to cc (or the daemonettes) and the guard will get chewed up. The russ can spend the last few turns driving forwards for the objective (and once the IG anti-tank is locked up/dead).

It's going to be a bloody, messy battle but I think the pair of russ can claim the objective and take out to many guard. The aspiring champions are a huge help here.

Lost and the Damned
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

The only problem I see with the LatD is they have to march forward across obstacles to reach CC. Plus, is it the attacker who has prelim bombardment or was it defender? I don't have my 'Dex handy at the moment.

Anyway my issue with LatD is the Guard can infiltrate almost the entire army into good positions early on. With addition of fortifications, most are guaranteed a decent cover save (5+ most likely...but hey that means they still get a roll against AP5 weapons)

The bassie can sit out of LoS and danger and lob shells the whole game on a fairly packed mutant horde.

The Russes will be threatened from turn 2 on and will have to keep moving to keep away from the DS melta/demo teams. Which increases their scatter.

The HQ squads will make short work of any rear armor they come upon or remaining mutants.

2 Sents w/ MLs are death to guard and mutants alike, I see a lot of mutants falling to those. (and by a lot I figure a combined total of 3 a turn at most )

Anyway I say as of now it's a draw, but leaning Guard. Just like last round where this Guard list played this mission, the mission favors them slightly.

EDIT: After discussing this case with some friends and weighing strengths/weaknesses, I'm throwing it in with Imperial Guard. By the time the LatD reaches the guard lines they'll be severely thinned. And I don't think the Russes will last past round 4.
    Last edited by Roland Durendal; February 14th, 2007 at 13:57.
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

I'm goign to toss in with the LATD.

I do think the mission gives an edge to the guard on this one, but it also makes it quite clear where the guard are going to be deploying. The guard just don't seem to have enough firepower to handle all the mutants and then the deamonettes. The Russes will probably be using their bolters to attack smaller squads for more reliable kills unless the guard bunches up.

Also I'm nor sure how many of you have played with/agaisnt LatD before, but 60 mutants takes up a lot of table space which can make DSing near them not good for a safe landing.

Furethermore those two infiltrating trator squads can and will be competeing for the infiltration spots and will be used to force the guard into a small tight area ripe for consolidation.

Closed Thread