Mini VW round 3- battle 4- Tau vs Space Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Mini VW round 3- battle 4- Tau vs Space Wolves

Please see the battle's and breakthrough's recruitment thread on how to participate in these games. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything.

Mission Type- hold at all costs

Special Rules- deep strike; random game length; infiltrate; reserves

Note-due to slight problems with the tau list before and it having to be altered; the tau will take on this battle with one automatic vote in favor of the space wolves.

Defender:
    The Tau Empire

HQ-

Commander Crisis Battle Suit Shas'el
    twin-linked plasma rifle, missile pod,
    hardwired multi tracker.

Elites-

Crisis Battle Suit
    Plasma rifle, Missile Pod.
    Multi-Tracker.

2 Crisis Battle Suit
    Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod.
    Multi-Tracker.

Troops-

Fire Warriors
    12 Fire Warriors with Pulse Rifles.
    Transport, Devilfish:
    Burst Cannon, Pair of Gun Drones.
    Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers.

Fire Warriors
    Transport, Devilfish:

Fire Warriors
    Transport, Devilfish:

Heavy Support-

Hammerhead Gunship
    Turret-Mounted Rail Gun, Pair of Burst Cannons.

Hammerhead Gunship
    Turret-Mounted Ion Cannon, Pair of Burst Cannons.

Attacker:
    Seed list
    Wolf Priest
    bolt pistol; power weapon; iron wolf amulet; healing balms&potions
    independant character; true grit

Venerable Draednought
    assault cannon; dreadnought close combat weapon; extra armour
    old&wise; hard to kill; leader

Grey Hunters (10)
    true grit
    9x bolters; meltagun; 2x power fist
    rhino
    extra armour; smoke launchers

Grey Hunters (10)
    true grit
    9x bolters; meltagun; 2x power fist
    rhino
    extra armour; smoke launchers

Blood Claws (15)
    head-strong; berserk charge
    3x power fist

Whirlwind

Whirlwind

Last edited by darkreever; February 12th, 2007 at 06:55.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

Im leaning tau.

The tau have great anti tank, in all the burst cannons/rail gun/ion gun

This will probably be able to sink one of the rihnos even if it has smoke launchers. The turn after, the rhino will defiantly die. That will strang troops for a while, making it difficult for the wolfs to get to the objective, and very difficult for the melta guns to find range against the tau tanks.

The whirlwinds could be countered by the deep striking crisis suits, 4 plasma rifiles, and 4 missile pods can probably take them out - although not all the tau will arrive at once.

The dreadnought is a nice tank, but not much for a rail gun.

The blood claws are gonna be slow, i think they can be ignored till the end.

Ill see what others have to say however.

So leaning tau at the moment.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

I'm going to vote Space Wolves for now. Could easily change though.

Every space wolf squad has tank killing power (a lot of power fist attacks bring down skimmers well). The fire warriors are going to be terrified of the whirlwinds as vengeance missiles will just take out the entire squad due to close deployment out of the tank.

2 railguns are going to make the dread suffer...

Space Wolves also have more bodies to throw onto the objective and I think tau just lack the power to stop them.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

Every space wolf squad has tank killing power
    What do you mean?

Powerfists are horrible against skimmers - compared to every other target in war hammer.

While the tau tanks are all faster then the wolfs, so it makes little sence that the wolves could get into CC with them, in the unlikely event they do, suppose both squads of gray hunters where to attack.

They would get 8 power fist attacks: 1.28 hits, .42 glancing hits - on a hammer head.

So thats less then 1 glancing hit per turn.

Secondly, the WW will either have to give the tau LOS, or not fire first turn.

The Tau will obviously stay inside their tanks, to avoid being bombed, untill the WWs are destroyed.

I think the tau will win.

Especially considering they have great anti MEQ firepower.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I don't see how the Tau list was changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Why would the space wolves chase hammerheads? once those things blow the dreadnought the railguns don't do much. I guess they can flush out whirlwinds turn 3 or so.

a glancing hit is all you need against a devilfish. There are 3 devilfish and 3 space wolf squads so a glancing hit means a 50/50 chance of screwing it over (stunned, immobilised, destroyed). There are also the 2 meltaguns.

I don't think tau can really stop the wolves from holding the objective. The squads are all fairly large and if a fish comes down the wolves simply assault whatever comes out. Entangled will hurt those fire warriors.

So how do tau plan to stop the wolves achieving the objective?

60 pulse rifle shots-30 hit-20 wound-6.66 wound.

So even under IDEAL tau conditions (which isn't going to happen) they kill less than 1 wolf squad.

Devilfish can't keep running from the wolves as they have to stay on the objective. Empty devilfish can't hold the objective.

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

Why would the space wolves chase hammerheads? once those things blow the dreadnought the railguns don't do much. I guess they can flush out whirlwinds turn 3 or so.
    One has a Ion head, which is 3 shots, and 7S. Basically, it kills marines, and rihnos.

Rail guns also kill rihnos quickly, or can go end the existence of some WWs. Or use submunision shots to smash the large squad of blood claws.

a glancing hit is all you need against a devilfish. There are 3 devilfish and 3 space wolf squads so a glancing hit means a 50/50 chance of screwing it over (stunned, immobilised, destroyed). There are also the 2 meltaguns.
    Immobilized is rerolled, all of these require the wolves to get withen 12 inches. How do you propose the rihnos survive the tau firepower?

I don't see how the Tau list was changed.
    The plasma rifles are no longer twin linked.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

228 (x8)

I'm proposing the Grey Hunters walk. They only have to get to the objective.

The railgun will be tied up killing the dread rather than rhino's.

So 1st turn: Rhino's go 12" and pop smoke. Dread gets hammered by the railgun (probably won't die).

Next turn Space Wolves can get out and walk if they fear for the rhino's or keep driving. Tau can't run too far as they have to keep the objective by the end of the game.

Fire Warriors aren't shooting the Wolves at this time as they are waiting for the whirlwinds to die. Devilfish don't put out to much firepower. The ion cannon can score a few kills but I doubt it will stop the Wolves.

Tau firepower against the rhino's isn't that big. The whirlwinds and dread need to die (the assault cannon can kill any hammerheads in range). Fire Warrior's won't be shooting much in the 1st 2 turns or so. The crisis suits have limited range but can dish out some damage.

It doesn't really matter if Wolves can catch devilfish. They only need to get unit's onto the objective by the end of the game.

A lot of your arguments Forged seem centred around the railgun. The lone railgun still needs to hit and it can't shoot all the targets at once. It only has the crisis suits to back it up and thanks to venerable on the dread, smoke on the rhin'o's and indirect whirlwinds makes them quite resilient.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

So 1st turn: Rhino's go 12" and pop smoke.
    Are they grey hunters inside?

If not, it will take 3 turns to get in melta range.

probably one rihno can be destroy even though they have smoke:

Without using the rail gun, math if i have time.

Dread gets hammered by the railgun (probably won't die).
    .67 hits, .56 penetrating hits.

So the dreadnought will be damaged on a 2+, all of which reduce its effectiveness quite a bit.

Even though it gets a reroll. If it survives first turn, it wont survive second.

fire Warriors aren't shooting the Wolves at this time as they are waiting for the whirlwinds to die. Devilfish don't put out to much firepower. The ion cannon can score a few kills but I doubt it will stop the Wolves.
    So why not send the devil fishes after the Whirlwinds, it would only take the tau two turns to get in range:

Devil fish + warriors: 2.37 glancing hits. .78 effective destoryed results (includes weapon destroyed)

So three squads should easily be able to sink the WWs.

This of course lets the wolves have the objective. Thats completely fine as the victory condition is to have the closest scoring unit to the object. Well the tau can lay back, and plast the wolves for 3 turns, that will remove quite a few wolves.

Say on turn 4 and 5 the tau kill rougly 6.67 wolves, by firing every thing they have at them. Thats still both squads of grey hunters below scoring strength.

Finally the hammerheads can fly in, and tank shock onto the objective. Since the wolves have almost no hope of killing them.

A lot of your arguments Forged seem centred around the railgun.
    Actually my argument focuses around how everything in the tau army is good at killing tanks, and MEQs. While the hammerheads are nearly invulnerable. Making it incredibly difficult to stop the tau from getting the objective - even if the wolves has 3 infantry squads above 50%, which seems highly unlikely.
    Last edited by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar; February 13th, 2007 at 19:34.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

I'm going to have to go with the Space Wolves on this one.

In a normal battle I think the Tau would have the win, but the mission is take the objective and I think the SW can accomplish it. I think the SW tactics would depend a lot on the terrain. If they can move up and stay in cover on turn 1, then the troops will stay embarked, then burn out 12 in round 2, pop smoke and take cover behind the rhino. Otherwise I see them moving up 12 in round 1 poping smoke and getting out to avoid being pinned.

As to the whirlwinds I think what they do depends on the Tau player. If the firewarriors are all deployed in the objective, then by driving the whirlwinds, the dread and the rhinos into LOS (hopefuly hull down), the Tau will have to many targets to kill them all in the critial first two turns while every thing in the SW army shoots and/or advances. If the Tau player is beind coy and has everything embarked and hidden, then the SW can afford to do the same with the whirlwinds.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast