Cheesefest Votewar: Round 1, Battle 5 - Armoured Company versus Speed Freaks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Cheesefest Votewar: Round 1, Battle 5 - Armoured Company versus Speed Freaks

Mission: Cleanse

Special Rules: infiltrate, deep-strike, victory points, dawn

Note: it will be night-fighting on turn 1

Armoured Company

HQ:

Tank Comander: Lemon Russ
    +HB and HB sponsons

Elites:

Inquisitor with BP and CCW

Vindicare

Tank Ace Vanquisher
    +Lascannon, Heavy Bolter sponsons and Extra armour.

Troops:

Conqerer
    +HB, sponson flamers and extra armour

Lemon Russ
    +HB, HB sponsons and Extra armour

Heavy Support:

Destroyer

Destroyer

Lemon Russ Demolisher

Tactics: Kill anything that can hurt 14 armour. Vindicare kills Lascannons and Missile launchers, Destroyers kill tanks. Once those have been eliminated (most likely 2-3 turns to heavily decimate the anti tank forces) roll up and unload the heavy bolters on anything still breathing.

Daft Blitzkreegaz

HQ

Big Mek (Joins 1st Skarboyz mob)
    Choppa; Kustom Force Field

Elites

9x Skarboyz
    6x Slugga & Choppa
    3x Burnas
    Nob w/Choppa; Power Klaw; Frag Stikkbombs
    Wartrukk w/Rokkit Launcha; Red Paint Job; Grot Riggers

9x Skarboyz
    5x Slugga & Choppa
    3x Burnas
    Nob w/Choppa; Power Klaw; Frag Stikkbombs

Troops

10x Trukk Boyz
    6x Sluggaz & Choppaz
    3x Rokkit Launchaz
    Nob w/Choppa; Power Klaw

10x Trukk Boyz
    6x Sluggaz & Choppaz
    3x Rokkit Launchaz
    Nob w/Choppa; Power Klaw

10x Trukk Boyz
    6x Sluggaz & Choppaz
    3x Rokkit Launchaz
    Nob w/Choppa; Power Klaw

2x Wartrakkz
    2x Twin-linked Rokkit Launcha; Red Paint Job; Grot Riggers

2x Wartrakkz

2x Wartrakkz

Fast Attack
    Fighta Bomba Raid

Heavy Support

Looted Basilisk
    Indirect Fire: Grot Riggers;

Guntrukk
    Kannon; grot riggers; armour plates

Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

wow, what an...unorthodox AC list. ill reserve my vote until i hear some arguing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

Orks

Night fight first turn is a huge boost for the orks as it will make much of the long ranged fire from the AC useless first turn. The orks on the other hand need to get close anyway so night fight doesn't bother them too much, plus the indirect Bassie doesn't mind night fight too much either. Once the orks get close they've got 20 or so rokkits (a few of them TL'ed, and one of them is a kannon that gets +2D6 for AP) plus a bunch of burnas and PK's that'll make short work of any tanks unlucky enough to get stunned or immobilized.

The IG have quite impressive anti-tank but none of it works well in the dark and they can only move 6" and still fire, while the orks can move 13" and still fire all weapons giving them a descent chance at side armour with all those targets on the board.

I think the AC list would be cool to see in action. All those tanks rumbling around and then a lone inqusitor running behind trying to keep up.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Armoured Company

I don't think it's going to be that simple...

My vote is for Amoured Company.

Yes, night fight on turn 1 is a big bonus to the orks, however, they still have to see the tanks too. Furthermore, the tanks will only have to see ~18 inches (the average sight range is going to be 21") To that end the guard will almost certainly (assuming turn 1) be able to fire at least half their weapons.

Even at only half the weapons that's going to do very bad things to the orks. Every tank has a main weapon that (most likely) will destroy (or at least heavily dmg) an ork vehicle. 4 shots from the amoured company at the trukks on average 2-3 hits (depending on if the ace\comander can see), on average 1 dead 1 dmged trukks.

on turn 2 the tanks will unload fully (having lost at most 1 of their number) and most likely deal a large amount of dmg to the ork trukks and traks.

(that's assuming tanks go first) if the orks go first it gets even worse for them.
    assuming average rolling the orks will stun or shake 1 tank (ork BS is so poor only about 6 rokkits will hit needing 6s to glance). Then all the tanks will return fire, now you're looking at 7 return fire shots, 4 should hit, and that should be 2 dead trukks and 2 imobalized\armament destroyed trukks.

Once the orks are out of the trukks the russes turn their heavy bolters on them and now bye bye orkies. I really think that orks are going to have a rough time taking out enough armour whereas the tanks are going to be able to drop 1-3 vehicles on turn 1 and after that they should have no trouble rounding up the remaining rokkit launchas and boyz.

I do have to say, I feel bad for the Vindicare. He's going to be sitting there with nothing to shoot at all game. (or at least for the first few turns.)
    Last edited by paul_Harkonen; March 23rd, 2007 at 19:27.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Orks

Paul, you may want to look at the ork list again because even if you were to silence one or two trukks and force the boyz to run up the field, thats still leaves you with three more trukks, the guntrukk, the bassy, and all three squads of buggies. (Up to eight rokkits and two power klaws get stopped, but that still leaves twelve more plus the kannon and the bassy as well as three more power klaws.)

Now if the armoured company were to use their main cannons then they do have the chance to scatter. Now even if they scatter, they can still destroy the trukks if they clip them but it makes the chances much worse. (To bad there doesn't look to be enough points for armour plates on those vehicles, wouyld make hurting them slightly harder.)

Don't forget the effect the mek's forcefield has on the trukk of skarboyz he's riding with, always counts as obscured target if I believe.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Additionally.. doesn't kult of speed getting bonuses for the boyz jumping out of their trucks when they're blown up?

In my experiences smashing the vehicles does very little for killing the boys - in fact, it just tends to give them cover..

uuh.. i dunno how this really would affect things though. I think i'm seeing green.. but i'm not sure.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

The problem with the ork list (to me) is that orks are all BS 2. Their rokkits are only hitting on 5s. So even if they have 20 something rokkits, only about 7-8 of those are going to hit (taking into account the TL on the tracks). 8 St8 shots will glance 14 armour about once (on any given turn), so you're looking at about 1 glance on the tanks. Most likely that will be shaken off. When the tanks return fire (on turn 1) there are going to be at least 2 dead trukks. (the chances of a centered blast scattering completely off a trukk are fairly low). so now (assuming the comander chose to do this) you're looking at 2 sets of rokkit troops sitting on the dirt with no ride. Turn 2 the boyz glance a tank again, let's say (just to be nice) that they either kill a weapon or destroy it. They are still going to be looking at losing 10 orks from heavy bolters alone, couple that with the battle cannons and you're looking at a fair amount of hurt for the orkz.

As to the Kannon, that won't make it to turn 2. Period. The tanks are going to focus on it first, and there is no way that thing is going to survive 2 st 10 shots, and a st 8 +2d6 shot. At that point the tanks are looking at taking a glance a turn, so (statistically) they'll lose 1 of their number.

The bassie is going to hurt the tanks, no doubt about that. The problem is I don't see it hurting enough. At best it drops a tank a turn, at worst it does nothing. I see it being a pain, I don't see it being enough to really take down the tanks facing the orkz.

I just don't see the orkz having the firepower to really take out the tanks, yes, they have lot of rokkits, however that doesn't garuntee that they'll be able to do heavy dmg to the tanks. Orkz don't hit well, and it still takes 6s just to glance the front armour (which the tanks should be able to keep facing at least the majority of the orkz.

I see the tanks taking out 2-3 trakks turn for the first 2 turns and then 2-3 (most likely more since the HB will now be in play) trukks for the turns after that. The tanks have so much anti-tank firepower I just don't see the ork vehicles surviving, and once the orkz are on the ground the HB and flamers will do rather mean and nasty things to them.

Oh, and on the mech forcefield thing thing, I don't know precisely what it does for tanks, but if it obscures or something to that effect the tanks can basically ignore it (and the 2-3 trukks it will cover) for turn 1-2 while they take out the soft tanks.
    Last edited by paul_Harkonen; March 23rd, 2007 at 18:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

All of the rokkits against the front armour of the tanks would amount to about 1.35 glancing hits; though all of the rokkits against the side armour of those same tanks amounts to 4.07 glancing hits. (When your BS is as low as the orks, your aiming for the side armour to begin with.)

Once I get home I'll be able to check this out in the rulebook, but can't vehicles like trukks move 12"( 13 for the trukks) have everyone jump out 2" and then charge another 6" if they are close enough? Meaning that your gun gets an effective rangeof about 27" and your charge range is 33".

So if the above is true, then by turn one you'd have a very good chance of causing up to four glancing hits and possibly charging with powerklaws. (Which would give between three and five attacks per nob wielding the klaw.) Those would definately take out more than one or two tanks in one turn.

Though even if the orks only took down two tanks a turn, that reduces the total tanks to five after the first time and three after the second. After that will the armoured company have enough firepower left to stop whatever orks are left?

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

the answer is I'm pretty sure the orkz can do that (any open-topped vehicle should allow that). However, the orkz hop out and attack with the power claw, even if they destroy a tank they'll still going to be exposed to a lot of first the next turn, the remaining heavy bolters, blast weapons, and potentially 2 side sponson flamers are going to unload on any exposed troops. That's going to be a number of dead orkz, and since a lot of the squads that would be assaulting also have rokkits the orkz are going to lose their ability to fire on the tanks the turn after that. So yes, the orkz likely could take out a tank or two, once they do that they have to weather at least a turn of fire, and I can't see a way for the squad to survive that (at least not intact).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Just to point out, if the orks got in a charge at whatever they didn't destroy with five power klaws, thats four or five attacks each, with either half hitting if the tanks moved or all hitting if they didn't. those one to two tanks that were taken out goes up to three or four if not higher if the orks reach with a charge after the rokkits. That cuts the firepower down even more, of which if they use the remaining tanks to focus on the forty nine boyz they ignore the basalisk, guntrukk, and six rokkit totting warbuggies.

As you said before Paul, the bassy should drop a tank a turn at best, and between the seven other anti-tank wielding vehicles they should be able to take down another one. That would potentially leave one or two tanks left. (And seeing as those heavy support tanks have no sponsons on them, I'd be willing to bet that you would not focus fire on them when possible, leave them for last since their return fire is much less than the elite tank, HQ tank, or troop tanks.)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast