Tactica: Sportsmanship and being a fun player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactica: Sportsmanship and being a fun player

There are some great guides on this forum that can be used to better your chances of winning games. Everyone likes to win and everyone likes to be respected as a good player. I would submit, however, that the larger part of being a good player is being fun to play with. So, here's some cardinal rules for having fun and enjoying Warhammer 40k.

1. Love your army. Play an army you are proud of, know the fluff, like the paint scheme, the models, etc... Take the time to paint your models. If you feel really adventurous, break out the green stuff and extra bits and customize some one of a kind minis. The more you get into your army, the more fun it is to play them. Also, as an opponent, there is nothing more fun than playing someone who brings some of the fluff and story of their army into the game, even if a bit crazy. I have a friend who does great orc voices and he always draws a crowd when he plays.

2. Respect your opponent. It doesn't matter if it's a 9 year old girl or a 40 year old war veteran, give them some respect. A condescending attitude is the biggest turn off and will make people want to avoid playing you. Tough talk, talking trash, and jeering your opponent is all good, but only if you know them well and it is a mutually accepted practice. Don't go overboard.

3. Know the rules, especially the ones of your army. If someone challenges something you have done you can do a few different things.
    a. Accept that you might have made a mistake and move on. Depending on the opponent, this could encourage him/her to challenge more in the future.
    b. Look up the rule. I've seen a lot of people go to their local expert to get a ruling on disputes and I really don't agree with this. GW employees are generally very busy and asking too many questions inflates their egos. Look it up in the book, then maybe you'll remember in the future. This also shows the opponent that you have some humility and respect his challenge.
    c. If it isn't a game changer, make a quick compromise and continue the game.
    d. Fly off the handle, act like they have insulted the honor of your ancestors, call them names, pack up your army, and leave the store. This can have dramatic results, but if done in character is very entertaining.

4. Know the rules of your opponent's army. This will let you know if they are trying to cheat, are just uninformed newbies, or are min-maxing their lists. This one can be extremely tricky. Noone likes to play against a rule-mongerer. If they are doing something that is totally ruining the game for you, then politely challenge them. If they react badly to this, consider either leaving the game early (make an excuse like your on a bad date), play out the game and act like you are so amazed at the skill and uberness of you opponent, or my favourite, make a dramatic and heartfelt ending dramatizing the death of every mini. Whatever you do, don't get angry. If you start to get angry, go have a smoke or buy a soda or talk to a friend. I've known people who will watch the game and obsess over every move and piece of gear on the table, and it absolutely ruins the fun for them.

5. Be friendly and helpful, but never give unsolicited advice. Most men and a lot of women detest being told how to improve themselves. It's condescending and sometimes insulting.

I hope this helps. May the emperor protect.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaileint View Post
    b. Look up the rule. I've seen a lot of people go to their local expert to get a ruling on disputes and I really don't agree with this. GW employees are generally very busy and asking too many questions inflates their egos. Look it up in the book, then maybe you'll remember in the future. This also shows the opponent that you have some humility and respect his challenge.
    Also, most GW employees have big gaps in their knowledge - it's impossible to know all the rules to all the armies in all the games off the top of your head. No disrespect to them (I used to be one), and that's not even taking to account the fact that some staff are morons who don't know their boltguns from their bolt throwers.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Employees in most stores in general dont know a thing.They read the books a couple of times and go figure.Our own dont have the slightest idea about FAQs and updates everytime i go I show them...

Not to mention cheating.The owner of the store i used to hang out,was using the khorn berserkers in a way that they had 15 attacks on the charge each!!!When confronted him and we played a normal game and he used an all berserker army that i blew up with vindicators he told me:Where's the fun in that?The fun would propably been only if he could chop me up.

I dont agree with 3d.There is no way packing up and leaving the store and calling your openet names even with houmorous nature is going to be fun.Ridiculus yes fun no.If you cant agree with an oponet best to cancel the match and find others to play.

Rep for you sir for touching up the subject.I think that while we all know how to use the strategies you propose we need to be remined of them fro m time to time!
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by pilot00 View Post
    The owner of the store i used to hang out,was using the khorn berserkers in a way that they had 15 attacks on the charge each!!!
    Is this a GW store? 0_o
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Is this a GW store? 0_o
    No they are lincenced retailers but they operate preatty much the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

Ah yes, one of the places with even less quality control on their staff than GW. Good times! \o/
    My Deathwatch Campaign

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Ah yes, one of the places with even less quality control on their staff than GW. Good times! \o/

Gw has quality work?Scares me more than the nids!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

There are a few legendary employees there. Not many, thanks to the low pay, but they do exist
    My Deathwatch Campaign

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pilot00 View Post
    I dont agree with 3d.There is no way packing up and leaving the store and calling your openet names even with houmorous nature is going to be fun.Ridiculus yes fun no.If you cant agree with an oponet best to cancel the match and find others to play.
    Yep, 3d is definitely not the preferred course of action. I put it in to just round out the possibilities. Although, I have seen it happen more than once.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Perhaps a better option for 3d would be to accept that not everybody gets along with everybody, and it's okay to refuse a game. "It's not you; it's me; but I don't want to play with you (or that army) again for awhile."
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast