Librarium Online Forums banner

Bladestorm and Fleet

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Lost Nemesis 
#1 ·
If a unit of Dire Avengers uses Bladestorm, can they use Fleet in the next turn?

#3 ·
There isn't a rule under the sun in any form of game or law code that is worded worse than Fleet*...

I've always played that I could fleet after bladestorming but I'm not so sure that's correct for the reasons Lost Nemesis stated. It really is instead of shooting and that means you need an instance where you could shoot normally.

#5 ·
Honestly, unless you'd be willing to let him have the Fleet, the ruling could be considered clear, using RAW - Fleet takes the place of shooting. Using Bladestorm means you can't shoot next turn, so, putting those two together:

If you can't shoot, you can't replace the shooting (there is no shooting to replace), so you can't Fleet.

If you want a fluff explanation, your men are too busy shooting and reloading their weapons to go sprinting across the battlefield. :)

#9 ·
That's true, but in that case there is another rule that prevents movement (it's in the details of the Deep Strike rule). In this case we have no such separate prohibition. I'd say that Fleeting is tied to shooting, and if you can't shoot, you can't Fleet.

Personally, though, I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as he didn't shoot next turn. In my mind I'd have no problem with them Bladestorming one shooting phase, Fleeting away the next shooting phase, and reloading the shooting phase after that. It doesn't seem right that they should be able to reload on the fly, though, does it?

-H

#10 ·
Genestealers have no ranged weapons, but can fleet of foot - It's safe to say it would be silly to suggest that genestealers can't FoF because they have no shooting to replace {goofy}.

So not being able to fire doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't be able to fleet. At the moment, if the unit doesn't shoot, it can fleet. So technically I'd say dire avengers could fleet after bladestorming (particularly as there is no "reload" action in 40k).

Going further than this, pinning would throw up an issue. If a DA unit bladestorms then gets pinned in the enemy turn, do they reload? As I've just said, there is no reload action, so in theory that turn of being pinned could act as the turn they spend not firing.

It's a funny old world.

#11 ·
OK. The "reload" fluff is revolving around not being able to bladestorm EVERY TURN. Its why they put that in there as an explanation. Bladestorm states they may not fire, not that they do not get a shooting phase. The PHASE is still there for them, they just may not elect to use that phase to fire their weapons.
And fleet states under the stipulations on turns they do not shoot.

Turn 1 shooting phase: Bladestorm

Turn 2 shooting phase: *cannot shoot* so NOT shooting, meeting the fleet requirement so fleeting is a-ok.

Turn 3 shooting phase: *check to see if bladestorm was used last turn... no? Squad able to shoot.

Nowhere does it say in the bladestorm ability that the squad forfiets its NEXTshooting phase, or any shooting phase where otherwise he would be able to shoot. It simply states that they cannot shoot(as I said, the phase is still taken, it just cannot be used by shooting).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.