about skimmers and jumpack infantry - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

about skimmers and jumpack infantry

ok i have 2 questions:

1)If a skimmer lands in difficult terrain,and passes his dangerous terrain test,Does he have to pass another test in his next turn if he wishes to move out of the terrain?

2)Basically the same question for jumpack infantry

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

1) If by land you mean 'moves into' (instead of hovering above), then I would say (from a common sense POV) yes, you do need a difficult terrain test, but I'm afraid I don't know what the rules say off the top of my head.

2) No. Jump infantry only take dangerous terrain tests for landing (ending their move) IN dangerous terrain, not for moving through it.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

i know you must take a test when you 'move into' terrain with a skimmer,but my friend tells me i must also take ANOTHER test the next turn if i wish to move out of the terrain,is that true?
    -A tau, dark eldar and slaanesh csm player
    -vassal player
    -And always on LO chat..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I know that bikes and jetbikes have to take a dangerous terrain test any time that they move in cover, whether it is into, out of, or whatever. So following that line of logic I would say yes. . . but just a question, I thought that skimmers were never allowed to actually be IN cover (area terrain). I thought they always had to be on top of it . . .
    "There will never be enough peace in the universe unless first there is enough war." - Farseer Eleuflin

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

The section on skimmers (page 61, vehicle movement, little book) says they ignore terrain, being able to move over it. However it doesnt say they may not move through terrain, and im pretty sure they can if they want to as ive seen and heard about it being done before.
    Just above th skimmer section, under 'dangerous terrain tests for vehicles' it answars your question. Put simply, Yes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by YunaXXX View Post
    ok i have 2 questions:

1)If a skimmer lands in difficult terrain,and passes his dangerous terrain test,Does he have to pass another test in his next turn if he wishes to move out of the terrain?

Hi,
    skimmers never land in difficult terrain because they have the rule to ignore terrain altogether when they move, so no dangeous terrain test is ever needed. This lack of testing is often balanced out by the lack of cover save that could be given to them.

Jump infantry on the other hand has free movement over difficult terrain but must take a dangerous terrain test if they finish movement in difficult terrain because they land in it. This is often balanced out by the cover save that could be given to them.
    (Not all difficult terrain will be awarded as giving cover, page 16 BG.
    Cheers.
    P.S. Skimmers never move through terrain, always over it.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by YunaXXX View Post
    ok i have 2 questions:

Re Q1: P.61 BGB, Terrain Effects, line three. Skimmers don't enter, move through or out of Difficult Terrain, so no Dangerous Terrain is ever taken. However, if it were any other vehicle (except a Walker) then yes, to leave the Difficult Terrain would indeed require a Dangerous Terrain Test. See P.61 BGB, Dangerous Terrain Tests for Vehicles, lines 1-2.

Re Q2: P.55 BGB, Movement Phase, last sentence. Also under Morale, last two lines.

Pretty much what others have said.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only time a skimmer can enter difficult terrain is if it has tau sensor spines, in which no test is needed. Ever.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

And by RAW, only jump infantry can move over friendly models, skimmers can't.

There are ways for jump infantry to enter terrain without being hurt, checking the jump rules will clarify all this.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by tarzen View Post
    And by RAW, only jump infantry can move over friendly models, skimmers can't.

There are ways for jump infantry to enter terrain without being hurt, checking the jump rules will clarify all this.
    Yes, if you look really hard there is no explicit permission for skimmers to move over friendlies at all. They can move over "obstacles" (read as terrain) but not your own troops. There is permission worded for Jetbikes and Jumppacks but this is missing for skimmers. Now you might say that it is intended and just plain common sense and I would allow it in most games but as Tarzen has stated RAW does not support it at all.
    Tarzen are you talking about the assault move by jump infantry when stating "There are ways for jump infantry to enter terrain without being hurt, checking the jump rules will clarify all this?"
    Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast