IC with Retinue in C/C... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

IC with Retinue in C/C...

In the DH Codex it states for both HQ Characters (both =][= and GK Hero) are only Independent characters if not accompanied by their retinue (or retinue is killed).. so by this reasoning they are are not IC's while they have their retinue and then can not be targetted in close combat like you could a normal IC, until of course the retinue is destroyed..

A friend tells me otherwise.. saying that he can be targeted in c/c...

Please let me know what you all think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Welcome to the 3rd ed 4th ed crossover.

I say they can be targetted since the rulebook is newer than the codex thus has the most up to date IC rules.

That entry sounds a lot like the 3rd ed ones which basically meant IC's lose their IC status with a retinue.

These days they are IC's in CC but not vs shooting.

So, follow the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that you (OP) are correct; the rules explicitly say that those two characters are IC unless accompanied by a retinue. They are treated as equals in their respective units as long as the retinues are still in play.

EDIT: The_Outsider brings up an excellent point. I still think the wording of the special rule allows it to supercede the rulebook without compromising the rule's integrity, but that might just be personal opinion.
    Last edited by skyfish; August 13th, 2007 at 02:13.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Well it is worth remembering when the DH codex was wriiten it was written to abide by (now) non existant rules.

Its the same thing for some old codices (like orks) they say powerklaws strike last, however we clearly know now (due ot the newer rulebook) that they now strike at inititive 1 - not last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    Well it is worth remembering when the DH codex was wriiten it was written to abide by (now) non existant rules.

Its the same thing for some old codices (like orks) they say powerklaws strike last, however we clearly know now (due ot the newer rulebook) that they now strike at inititive 1 - not last.
    Again, excellent point! Are there any other ICs in the game that lose IC status with a retinue? Only one I can think of is Hive Tyrant/Tyrant Guard, but I could see that as being a special advantage not available to DH. Looks like we've wandered deep, deep into RAI...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Okay, so its a 3rd to 4th edition problem... okay.
    I may have to agree with The Outsider... though I would rather Skyfish
    It seems like its a pretty universal rule, the way that they have written it in the codex.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

As it sits now, there are 2, and only 2 types of Characters. ICs and upgrade.

Some of the OLD codex state that they lose the IC rule if in with a retinue, but this is overwritten by the BGB, which came out after them.

That said, IC's in CC are still IC's, even with a retinue.

So Outsider has it 100%.

Oh, and on a side note-Skyfish, the tyranids have 1 and only one IC in their whole list now, and it isn't the Hive tyrant 9you're thinking 3rd ed)
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tarzen View Post
    Oh, and on a side note-Skyfish, the tyranids have 1 and only one IC in their whole list now, and it isn't the Hive tyrant 9you're thinking 3rd ed)
    I am just striking out in this thread, aren't I! :) I'd forgotten that it isn't the IC but the MC rules that allow the Hive Tyrant to be elected as a target. In light of this, the DH special rule is even more soundly defeated by the BGB. Thanks for the correction!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by skyfish View Post
    I am just striking out in this thread, aren't I! I'd forgotten that it isn't the IC but the MC rules that allow the Hive Tyrant to be elected as a target. In light of this, the DH special rule is even more soundly defeated by the BGB. Thanks for the correction!
    Sorry skyfish, that's three strikes, as the tyrant guard have shield wall, making it impossible to target the HT with shooting=)
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tarzen View Post
    Sorry skyfish, that's three strikes, as the tyrant guard have shield wall, making it impossible to target the HT with shooting=)
    Right, but since it doesn't nullify IC status, my using it as an example was not sound. This rendered Shield Wall a moot point, which is why I didn't mention it. You're absolutely correct, though!

+ Reply to Thread