Meltabombs, Krak grenandes... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Meltabombs, Krak grenandes...

Okay so after a few years of playing with SMs and never really having a use for krak grenades or meltabombs, I have yet to understand how they work. Now that I'm fielding an IG army with some drop troops, I'm wondering if Meltabombs are worth it. It would help a lot if someone could reference me a page or something that tells me how a meltabomb works. I've looked everywhere and I can't find a profile for it or really any indication of how to use them.

So yeah. Can somebody point me in the direction of some rules on meltabombs/krak grenades?

Much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Krak grenades and melta bombs allow your soldiers to damage vehicles with decent chance of actually doing something in close combat, but if your using IG then those points are better spent on anti-tank guns seeing as how IG normally aren't too effective when it comes to assaulting enemy tanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

page 72.
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Duo_Sonata View Post
    <SNIP> but if your using IG then those points are better spent on anti-tank guns seeing as how IG normally aren't too effective when it comes to assaulting enemy tanks.
    Surely IG are as effective (or ineffective) as anyone/thing else when it comes to assaulting tanks? The likelihood of achieving a "hit" is dependant on how far the target vehicle moved, not the actual skill of the attacking troops. In fact, IG might be seen as more effective given that they have an advantage in numbers, leading to an increased likelihood of more damage being done. Of course, you'd need to have a steady nerve to attack tanks with guardsmen, but if you did their chances are at least as good as anybody elses. An Armoured Fist squad with a meltgun and grenades makes a good AT option, and it has the advantage of mobility, which dedicated AT heavy weapons don't.

~ Ravenscraig ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't say the exact page number, but in the "Vehicles In Assaults" section of the Big Grey Book, there is a "Grenades" section and a sidebar that lists the Strength and Armor Penetration dice of each type of bomb- frag/photon, krak, plasma, melta and tankbusta. Basically:

-A model with equipped with a type of grenade gets ONE attack with it, regardless of its Attacks characteristic/two weapons/charging, etc. If you have two types of grenades, choose one.

-Your to-hit number is based on the speed at which the vehicle moved last turn, also on a table in the "Vehicles in Assaults" section. If a vehicle has been Stunned or Immobilized since it moved, then it counts as stationary. Skimmers always count as having moved more than 6" due to their elevation. If a vehicle has a WS (Dreadnought, some Chaos vehicles, etc.), then you can ONLY roll against its WS if it has been Immobilized.

-The grenade uses the Strength and Armor Penetration die or dice in the Grenades sidebar. As far as I know, Meltabombs don't count as having AP1, unlike Meltaguns.

Watch out for penetrating hits! Exploding a vehicle by charging it is dangerous...though it often means you can block transport exits and eliminate entire transported units.
    "HQ, my LOS is blocked by a soda bottle. I'm moving to unmask my guns."
    "Negative! The soda bottle is the Carnifex!"
    "Dang proxy models!"
    -Cmdr. Kren, www.tsoalr.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duo_Sonata View Post
    Krak grenades and melta bombs allow your soldiers to damage vehicles with decent chance of actually doing something in close combat, but if your using IG then those points are better spent on anti-tank guns seeing as how IG normally aren't too effective when it comes to assaulting enemy tanks.
    as mentioned earlier grenades has no bearing on the actual user but on the tank and its movement instead. Which to be makes since sense the old saying goes "with grenades you only have to get close."
    Last edited by DarkKnight; August 26th, 2007 at 04:49. Reason: poor grammer
    "Ah, but the truth is like an expensive whore, Jerek. She comes in many dresses and will bend over for any with the money to pamper her." ~ Konrad von Carstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

This thing about IG being as good as everything else at using grenades, is simply a lie.
    IG have a knag and capacity for dying, not matched by spacemarines! so accually they are not as good.
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by cebwj View Post
    This thing about IG being as good as everything else at using grenades, is simply a lie.
    IG have a knag and capacity for dying, not matched by spacemarines! so accually they are not as good.
    Well, to take it a little OT, IG also have the ability to field 200+ models in 2000pt games. Marines can't get anywhere close to that. Straight numbers run about a 2:1 for IG vs SM. Sure, in a fire fight the SM will win, but when you throw 10 SM vs a tank, and 20+IG, the numbers are in your favor for the IG.

That, and the fact that IG grenades are much cheaper to take IIRC than their marine counterparts.

Back on topic, I am saddened by the fact that only one unit in the game can use grenades against non vehicles in CC. Throwing a krak grenade vs an MC makes total sense, and used to be part of the rules....alas.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by tarzen View Post
    Back on topic, I am saddened by the fact that only one unit in the game can use grenades against non vehicles in CC. Throwing a krak grenade vs an MC makes total sense, and used to be part of the rules....alas.
    HA! That is actually another reason why I started thinking about this! I remember awhile back my 5 assault marines were fighting a Carnifex and I was having a hell of a time laying a wound down. Luckily so was he due to some seriously bad dice rolls. But then a friend I played with said "Hey, chuck a melta bomb at him." Of course, due to a rookie mistake I couldn't find the page on which meltabombs are described and even though I had taken them (probably because I was just starting out and saw the word MELTA) I didn't know how they worked.

Along the same lines as the non-grenade throwing ability: It also seems like a drastic understatement of a frag grenade's power that the only thing it does in the game is basically raise initiative. You'd think it would at least give you an attack bonus on the charge or something.

But yeah. Even though it is tempting to take a grenades for everyone, I think if I do, I'll probably just let my Kasrkin Vet Sergeants take meltabombs since those are the guys doing most of the anti armor work.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Last edited by SimulatedSnowman; August 27th, 2007 at 18:11. Reason: adding stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like a good plan
    "Ah, but the truth is like an expensive whore, Jerek. She comes in many dresses and will bend over for any with the money to pamper her." ~ Konrad von Carstein

+ Reply to Thread