Ig Drop Troops Doctrine - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mods: This post does contain minimal quoting from the IG Codex. It's just the absolute minimum needed to make my point, and it's just parts of sentences. I *think* it's within the guidelines - I'm not reprinting any whole rules, and it's a hard point to make without quoting the phrases that are confusing me.

From the IG codex (p.56) for the Drop Troops doctrine: "Any Guard Infantry unit..may Deep Strike.." The definition of Guard Infantry (p.55) includes "normal Infantry Platoon squads." (my emphasis)

Now, previous posts here have declared that when calling an IG Infantry Platoon, the entire platoon is rolled for at once and deployed simultaneously, though the squads do not have to maintain coherency with each other. It's also been said that when DSing an Infantry Platoon, each squad is placed and scattered seperately. (Just all within the same turn/phase)

The definition of Guard Infantry says "squad", though, which is what's confusing me.

If I Deep Strike a normal IG Infantry Platoon, do I:

- roll once for DS availability, then must Deep Strike every squad in the platoon

- roll once for DS availability, then can choose whether to DS or deploy at the table edge as per normal reserves for each squad in the platoon

- roll for DS availability for each squad separately (if so, what happens if some squads make the roll and others don't?)

- something else I haven't thought of

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You roll for each Platoon for reserves once. If you get the required dice roll you get the entire platoon because it is a single troop choice. You must DS each squad individually because they are separate units within in the same troop choice (imagine trying to fit 5 squads and a command squad on a template).

I am not sure about deploying at the edge or not. I dont have easy access to my Codex, Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That makes sense. The Drop Troops doctrine is very clear, because of the definition of Guard Infantry, that it applies individually to each squad in the platoon. That's what makes me unsure if I have to drop the whole platoon in, or if some squads can choose to deploy normally when they are *eligible* to drop in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rule kind of implies that all units are gonna be deepstrike unless they are tanks or in a transport and then set up normally and non guard infantry set up normally as well.

I looked through the FAQ at GW and it didnt cover it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it says that Guard Infantry units _may_ Deep Strike. It doesn't say that all GI units _must_ do so, which I read as saying that it's player's option.

My best guess at this point is that you declare in advance which squads are drop troopers, and which are normal reserves. Then you roll for reserves, and when they come up you DS the drop troop squads and the normal squads enter as per ordinary reserves. The whole platoon still enters at once.

Does that sound correct? It still seems awfully clunky to me..

Closed Thread