Retinue Wounds question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retinue Wounds question

Hello all, sorry if this seems like silly question, but what Information I found in the rulebook seemed to confuse me more.

My girlfriend and I just started Warhammer 40k a month ago. We were playing today with her Tyranids vs my Necrons.

She had a Broodlord with and 11 genestealer retinue. They had just murdered a unit of my warriors and had consolodated. luckly for me they were far enough away that my 10 immortals could fire on them before she could get to me. Since the genestealers were the majority of units we assumed that the broodlord and egenstealers would all be rolling a 5+ save. I managed to get 13 wounds with my immortals str 5 AP 4 blasters. So this means they would not be able to save. she took a wound on all her genestealers first which killed them all and left three wounds for her broodlord to take which would have killed him. i was under the impression thats how it would have worked. But a guy watching us play stated that since it was a retinue that before i could place the rest of the wounds on the broodlord i would have had to done enough wound to give two wounds to all the genestealers first before he could take the wounds, since they were his retinue. So I would have needed something like 24 wounds before I could have killed the whole brood. I was not sure if it worked that way and the rule book seemed fuzzy in that area, so I wanted to post the question here.

Sorry for the long post, but any information on how to asign the would would have worked, or even our saving throws would be helpful.

Thanks much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Well, you've found a lovely situation here... Let's see...

First off, since the stealers are the majority, all wounds are made against their (presumably lower) toughness. (Multiple Toughness, Pg. 23)

Since you made more wounds than there were models, you then get to apply the "Torrent of Fire" rule (paragraphs 4 and 5, page 26) - basically you get to force a model to make a save. Assuming you pick the broodlord, he proceeds to make whatever save he can manage against one shot of his choice (take a bolter shot instead of a Lascannon, for example). The rest of the shots are resolved as normal.

Now, for the rest, we go over to the Mixed Armour section. (Pg. 76) The stealers armour is in the majority, so the first round of wounds is applied to them - 11 stealers, 11 wounds. Then things work out nicely, as there's only one stray wound left and it goes to the lord.

So in summary, you've got one shot forced to any model you like (broodlord, almost always), 11 shots into the stealers, and the last shot into the broodlord. AP4, so stealers all die, and the Broodlord is left to make saves and fend for himself.

Your outside advisor probably meant that everybody must take a wound before anyone takes a second, and everybody needs two before anybody takes three. So if you made 20 wounds, you couldn't apply 11 to the stealers and then stack 9 on the Broodlord alone. It would be 11 to the stealers, 1 to the Broodlord, then 8 more to the Stealers.

I think that just about covers it, but I'm not claiming to be an expert, here... Anybody got anything else to add, or corrections to what I've said??

EDIT: Oh yeah, and welcome to LO! Hope you like it around here.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Your first assumption was where the big error happened, mixed armor does not work like majority toughness. A model always gets to use his own saving throw against wounds applied to him. He won't automatically die without a save because his friends had weaker armor (although he may have to save wounds from a weapon that normally couldn't even hurt his toughness!)

I do disagree on the point about how torrent of fire works. The rule doesn't allow you to force a wound to be assigned to a particular model or rearrange how wounds are allocated based on other rules. It just lets you make one of the saving throws within a group of allocated wounds be taken separately for a specific model.

If you do a search for mixed armor you can find dozens of arguments about the precise mechanics of whether the broodlord takes one wound or two in that situation. (or one wound or 9 in the 20 shots situation.) Either way he always uses his own save against them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

With the Torrent of Fire rule the shooter gets to nominate a model.
    The shootee gets to nominate what attack he saves from (i.e. bolter of lazcannon for example). This can kill models like heavy weapon troops, champions etc.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all! That help clear it up a bit for me. After reading the posts and going back to the pages in the rule book it helps see where we got confussed and gives me a better understanding of the wounding.

Just seems so hard getting all the rules right being so new to it all, but thanks again for the quick responses!

+ Reply to Thread