Carnifex VS Dreadnought - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carnifex VS Dreadnought

Hi all.

Maybe this is a stupid question but i'm gonna ask it anyway!! I've been into Warhammer for about 18 years and started playing 40k when it first came out. I stopped playing when the old Epic system died (for want of a better word) and for the last few years i've just been painting.
    Now my 8 year old son is enjoying all my minitures and last month i bought the 'Battle for Macrage' box set and have since bought loads of extras. We both bought Codex's, he's collecting 'Nids and i'm sticking to good 'ol Ultramarines.

My question is this: Everytime his Carnifex with Venom cannon hits my Dreadnought it usually blows it up?!?!
    'Fex with Venom Cannon is max strength 10 and the 'Noughts front armour is 12 so any score of 3 or more is bad news (even a roll of 2 for a glancing can sometimes be nasty).
    So is this right? Am i missing a really obvious bit of the rule book?

Also, how many to hit dice do'es the Fex roll, it says attack X so if he has 2 attack is that 4 dice?

Any help is much appreciated.

Steve.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

The venom cannon only gets 2 attacks when wielded by the Carnifex. The 'X' in the weapon profiles means that the weapons use the number of attacks in the creature's profile.

And the Venom Cannon can only ever cause glancing hits (unless vehicle is open topped) as per the weapon's profile. A roll that would normally be a penetrating hit is a glancing hit instead, unless the vehicle has "open-topped" in it's profile, such as with a IG sentinel or Tau Pirhana.

So your son would roll 2 dice which hit depending on the Carnifex's ballistic skill (average 1 hit if BS3), then roll damage. If it hits the Dread's front armor (AV12), on a damage roll of 2 or higher, it causes a glancing hit.

The venom cannon is a great weapon, but it's not as all-powerful as it would be the way it sounds like you were resolving it.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by s0m3b10k3 View Post
    Hi all.

Maybe this is a stupid question but i'm gonna ask it anyway!! I've been into Warhammer for about 18 years and started playing 40k when it first came out. I stopped playing when the old Epic system died (for want of a better word) and for the last few years i've just been painting.
    Now my 8 year old son is enjoying all my minitures and last month i bought the 'Battle for Macrage' box set and have since bought loads of extras. We both bought Codex's, he's collecting 'Nids and i'm sticking to good 'ol Ultramarines.

My question is this: Everytime his Carnifex with Venom cannon hits my Dreadnought it usually blows it up?!?!
    'Fex with Venom Cannon is max strength 10 and the 'Noughts front armour is 12 so any score of 3 or more is bad news (even a roll of 2 for a glancing can sometimes be nasty).
    So is this right? Am i missing a really obvious bit of the rule book?

Also, how many to hit dice do'es the Fex roll, it says attack X so if he has 2 attack is that 4 dice?

Any help is much appreciated.

Steve.
    You're not missing anything, based upon the weapon profile and the stat-line of the 'Fex (I'm avoiding actual numbers per the forum rules) he gets 2 shots. Based upon the 'Fex's BS, he should be hitting at 50% and with a high Strength weapon that is going to really put a hurt on your Dread.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by kore View Post
    Based upon the 'Fex's BS, he should be hitting at 50% and with a high Strength weapon that is going to really put a hurt on your Dread.

Yes but those hits can only be glancing hits against a Dreadnought. Still effective, but not assured death. Now close combat between the two... That would be more more definite doom for the Dreadnought.

-Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

X means it only gets one shot per base attack. Also note that venom cannons can only glance close topped vehicles, so no penetrating hits on your dread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that cleared that up.

Thanks a lot guys, i might last a bit longer now!! It was getting a bit depressing, we had a couple of small skirmishes the last 2 nights when i got in from work and the Dreadnought was dead before he'd even warmed up his assault cannon.

Thanks again.
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by s0m3b10k3 View Post
    Well that cleared that up.

Thanks a lot guys, i might last a bit longer now!! It was getting a bit depressing, we had a couple of small skirmishes the last 2 nights when i got in from work and the Dreadnought was dead before he'd even warmed up his assault cannon.

Thanks again.
    Steve
    Don't worry too much, we don't like the assault cannons warming up anyways.
    Last edited by Errors; December 20th, 2007 at 15:49.
    Tyranid and Eldar player....don't ask me how I ended up playing these two armies, just smile, nod, slowly move away and don't make eye contact!

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

If your son is outfitting his Carnifex as a standard Sniperfex, he's also taking a shot with a S8 barbed strangler, which CAN penetrate the dreadnaught (on a roll of a 5 or 6). The info's out there, so the answer is pretty much done, but all in all the Sniperfex is doom for dreadnaughts ... just, yeah, not *quite* as bad as it's been for you so far.

You've gotta play your dread like a smart 'Nid plays his fexes and other models ... keep it from getting shot at until it has a chance to dish out some hurt of its own first.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

I play both nids and marines. I've found the only way to keep a dreadnought alive is to take two of them. Not sure what size games you're working in, but a single dreadnought just dies to easy for my tastes. The moment I put a second dreadnought in the game I was having at least one survive the game, sometimes both. Many players will divy their shots up between the two dreadnoughts.

Another thing is to make one of the dreadnoughts venerable. I've had massive amounts of Tau firepower poured at my ven. dreadnought once. It took 3 turns (and some lucky dice rolling) before it fell. In the meantime, the other dreadnought was free to run around and shoot it's cannony goodness. Even with the Venerable upgrade, expect your dreadnought not to shoot for several turns. Even the lowest glancing hit results in not being able to shoot.

One final thing, Extra Armour. Never take a dreadnought without this cheap upgrade. You get a low glancing hit and you can at least walk to some cover. Extra Armour + Venerable makes for a really tough bugger to kill.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Gardeth View Post
    X means it only gets one shot per base attack. Also note that venom cannons can only glance close topped vehicles, so no penetrating hits on your dread.
    Ah, I forgot that. This is the most important point of the thread somebloke.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

+ Reply to Thread