'08 Orks questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'08 Orks questions

Hello, I was reading my new Ork Codex when I came accross some questions.

#1) This question is concerning the Looted Wagon 'Don't Prees Dat' special rule and the Trukk 'Ramshackle' special rule. When you Trukk blows up/Wagon moves forward, can it go off the table? Or does it just stop at the edge?

#2) This question can only be awnsered by people who have the '08 Ork codex. For the Warbikes, which Dakkagun profile should we use? The one with all the fluff, or the one in the back of the book with all the other weapons? Because they have diffrent stats.

#3) Question just to double check something. For the Shokk Attack Gun. If you roll 6,6 on a speeder, and it moved more than 6". Is it downgraded to a glanceing. Because the Shokk Attack Gun says "vehicles take an automatic penetrating hit".

Last edited by Orange Dragon; January 10th, 2008 at 22:18.

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

I'll take a stab at these:

It is not a fall back, so they cannot move off the table afaik. Nowhere in the rule does it say they'd move off thet able, and it is referred to as a move as far as possible. Unless you can simply move off the table in 40k if you wish (and I don't think you can), the trukks/wagons can't either.

Offiical dakkagun rules are on page 46

All penetrating hits are reduced to glancing hits. When working with skimmers moving over 6", you resolve the hit, then adjust if a penetration occurs. So it is not that a skimmer "cannot be penetrated" and then is "automatically penetrated." You penetrate or roll to penetrate the skimmer as normal. If you happen to actually pull off the penetration, it is then reduced to a glance. The double 6 SAGun shot does indeed automatically penetrate, and then the moved over 6 skimmer rule changes the penetration to a glance b4 you roll on the dmg charts.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MVBrandt View Post
    I'll take a stab at these:

It is not a fall back, so they cannot move off the table afaik. Nowhere in the rule does it say they'd move off thet able, and it is referred to as a move as far as possible. Unless you can simply move off the table in 40k if you wish (and I don't think you can), the trukks/wagons can't either.
    Ok, I guess that makes sence.

Offiical dakkagun rules are on page 46
    Ok so ignore the stats on the gun in the back of the codex?

All penetrating hits are reduced to glancing hits. When working with skimmers moving over 6", you resolve the hit, then adjust if a penetration occurs. So it is not that a skimmer "cannot be penetrated" and then is "automatically penetrated." You penetrate or roll to penetrate the skimmer as normal. If you happen to actually pull off the penetration, it is then reduced to a glance. The double 6 SAGun shot does indeed automatically penetrate, and then the moved over 6 skimmer rule changes the penetration to a glance b4 you roll on the dmg charts.
    Yeah I though so, just double checking.

Thanks! Rep for fast reply!

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x2)

There is actually a compendium of all of the questions that have been proposed in the new Ork codex due to typos, miscommunication, or sheer lack of rules over at the-waaagh.com in the Goff Fortress. The specific link is http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/ind...howtopic=28673

I personally agree with the first two rulings, although it's still unclear as to whether or not the auto-pen would be downgraded to a glance for the 3rd. It could go either way, hence why it's on the faq (although the other 2 questions are also on said collected FAQ). On the one hand you have the rule stating that pens get reduced down to a glance, and on the other you have a very specific situation causing a very specific outcome. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only a glance, yet I also wouldn't consider it unfair if it causes a penetrating hit either (I mean, read the description of the event!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorfang View Post
    I personally agree with the first two rulings, although it's still unclear as to whether or not the auto-pen would be downgraded to a glance for the 3rd. It could go either way, hence why it's on the faq (although the other 2 questions are also on said collected FAQ). On the one hand you have the rule stating that pens get reduced down to a glance, and on the other you have a very specific situation causing a very specific outcome. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only a glance, yet I also wouldn't consider it unfair if it causes a penetrating hit either (I mean, read the description of the event!)
    On the other hand, though, every other weapon that causes a penetrating hit through abnormal means (such as EMP or Haywire grenades) and even AP1 weapons are downgraded to glancing hits on Skimmers when they move more than 6", so I'd have to go with MVBrandt on this one.

Well, there's my two cents anyways .

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

The main rulebook FAQ makes it pretty clear that you cannot score penetrating hits on a skimmer moving fast, ever, for any reason. The weapon automatically scores a penetrating hit without the need to make further rolls, and then SMF downgrades that hit to glancing. The whole newer codex overruling the rulebook thing is rubbish. That would only apply if the two rules were in conflict with each other. They work together fine with each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 (x2)

Wait, aren't haywire and EMP grenades close combat attacks? In that case the SMF rule wouldn't apply at all anyways.

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Untrue, Gorfang. Skimmers moving fast are simply skimmers moving fast ... just like if you immobilize and then assault a vehicle on the turn it moved over 6, it still counts as having moved over 6.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 (x2)

Ah, so I guess it does apply to CC. I still insist that Double 6's, as well as Haywire and EMP would be able to penetrate a skimmer:

"Any hits that beat the Armour Value of a mobile skimmer moving more than 6... count as glancing hits instead of penetrating hits."

There's no beating armor values involved, so they would in fact be penetrating hits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

If you still need a precedent in order to believe everyone on the "auto-penetrate downgrades to glance", take a look at how the Apocalypse rules handle Strength D weapons and SMF...
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast