Ummm...Partial unit firing and selective Rapid Fire - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm...Partial unit firing and selective Rapid Fire

Yeah, not too sure how to title the thread. Here's the situation.

A unit of DA bikes is 6" from a weak but large CC unit. The DA wants to charge, and is afraid that his torrent of rapid weapons fire will annihilate the unit before he can assault.

So this turns into 2 questions:

1) Can you choose to fire with only a portion of a unit, leaving the rest of the models inn the unit to pick their nose and watch?

2) After moving, within 12" of your target, can you shoot just once?

Oh, and for good measure, when measuring the range of a turret mounted weapon, where do you measure from?

What do you do when it's 5 in the morning, you're exhausted and you only have 3 hours until your alarm clock goes off?

Troll :)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

1) yes, you can choose to have some models fire and some not, but you have to declare how many up front. No going one at a time until you've killed just enough.

2) an argument for the ages. In the special case of bikers, I would say yes, as their rule explicitly states they are allowed to fire once even if they moved. For infantry... well, yeah, do a searchy on it =)

Range is measured from the muzzle of the gun as per main rulebook FAQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by RoughWaves View Post
    1) Can you choose to fire with only a portion of a unit, leaving the rest of the models inn the unit to pick their nose and watch?
    Yes.

Yes. As IA pointed out, this isn't an issue for Bikers. To expound on this concerning Infantry, for them to only fire once after moving would imply they are firing at maximum range for an RF weapon. By the implication I would say they cannot forego the second shot if they moved. But to argue this may be pointless as you can choose who fires, in which case you could just have half your Infantry fire their weapons. Am I going off-topic? 0:
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by kore View Post

Yes. As IA pointed out, this isn't an issue for Bikers. To expound on this concerning Infantry, for them to only fire once after moving would imply they are firing at maximum range for an RF weapon. By the implication I would say they cannot forego the second shot if they moved. But to argue this may be pointless as you can choose who fires, in which case you could just have half your Infantry fire their weapons. Am I going off-topic? 0:
    Regarding infantry:
    It would still make a difference when using things like plasma... two plasma weapons firing once is different from one plasma weapon firing twice.

To look at the question from another angle, can a pistol which remains stationary fire once instead of twice? If not, then a pistol which remained stationary cannot charge. If a stationary plasma weapon overheats in the forest after firing twice and the model using it dies, can the rest of the unit charge? Etc...

It's kind of an ugly situation. Personally, I recommend reaching a consensus with your opponent as to how you would prefer to play it before starting the game.
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitorAffe View Post
    1)

Range is measured from the muzzle of the gun as per main rulebook FAQ.
    I'm not so sure on that, these are not vehicle models and as a result the measurement is made from the base of the model in question
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

If you take a page out of the eldar codex then the range is measured from the gunners because it explicitly states that the anti-grav turret is only their to remind everyone that the unit has a heavy weapon.
    Could this be the way things are heading?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Yeah, not too sure how to title the thread. Here's the situation.

A unit of DA bikes is 6" from a weak but large CC unit. The DA wants to charge, and is afraid that his torrent of rapid weapons fire will annihilate the unit before he can assault.

So this turns into 2 questions:

of course. First part of the shooting section says each model selects individally whether or not to fire, but all dice MUST be rolled at once.

as it sits currently, there are arguements for allowing it. Talk it out pregame, but strictly RAW, yes, yes you may.
    Oh, and for good measure, when measuring the range of a turret mounted weapon, where do you measure from?
    Bikes and ALL other NON vehicles measure from closest base edge to closest base edge. VEHICLES follow a seperate set of rules, outlined in the FAQ.

Any other questions we can help with?
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

188 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by 40k rule book FAQ
    Q. When a stationary firing unit targets an enemy unit
    and only some of the firing unit’s rapid fire weapons fall
    in the 12" range, what happens?

A. Solve them separately, as above. All firing models
    within 12" fire two shots (these shots can only hit
    members of the target unit within 12"). The firing models
    outside 12" fire a single shot (these can hit all members
    of the target unit within 24"). It is more practical to
    resolve the closest shots completely first (including
    removing casualties), and then resolve the long range
    ones.
    So stationary infantry don't really have a choice. If the plasma gun is within 12" it must fire twice.

As for bikes, I'm unfamiliar with the wording for them. If they count as stationary when firing weapons mounted on the bike than I'd say that they must fire twice if within 12". If the wording says something else then there's room to argue for being able to choose, but I'd talk about it with your opponent beforehand to avoid trouble during the game.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs_n_Orks View Post
    So stationary infantry don't really have a choice. If the plasma gun is within 12" it must fire twice.

As for bikes, I'm unfamiliar with the wording for them. If they count as stationary when firing weapons mounted on the bike than I'd say that they must fire twice if within 12". If the wording says something else then there's room to argue for being able to choose, but I'd talk about it with your opponent beforehand to avoid trouble during the game.
    actually, if you look at the exact wording of RF weapons, you MAY fire twice up to 12", or once up to 24". Since the listing of RF weapons is not RF2, as per the weapon type rules, you don't need to fire all shots (unlike an assault 3 weapon). Again, it's a matter that as it sits, GW still allows it, but "suggests" that you fire twice.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

188 (x4)

I see what you're saying.

Not quite RAW related, but I absolutely hate the following situation.

me (playing tyranids or orks)
    opponent (space marines or chaos)

opponent:"my squad will stay stationary and fire at your unit. The plasma guns will each fire only 1 shot, and all the bolters will fire as many shots as they can."

To me this is not in keeping with GW's general "everyone in a unit does the same thing" stance. I feel that if you're going to pick you should have to pick for everyone (and anyone who tries to fire twice while more than 12" away wastes their shots), or if you're going to fire at max capacity everyone should fire at max capacity (and those plasma gunners can fry their little fingers off).

Though I concede that this is more a "Spirit of the Rules" than a "Letter of the Rules" arguement.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast