Vague close-combat situation. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vague close-combat situation.

Hi guys,
    Me and a friend had a try-out game today with our new armies (Ravenwing and Orks).
    The following close-combat situation occurred, as can be seen in the picture I added:

The green circles are Ork Stormboys, the darker one being the Nob (haven't got the exact numbers right, but w/e). There are two Landspeeders, a squad of two bikes and a squad of three bikes.
    The Orks have charged the two landspeeders and the squad of two bikes (others were out of range). In the following combat the speeders weren't destroyed, but the bikers were.
    The following question comes up:
    Can the orks consolidate (so they can lock the other bike squad)?

The rule that is vague about this is at page 71 of the rulebook, under the heading 'results' for vehicles in combat. The rule says that when a unit has been in a close-combat round against a vehicle with no WS characteristic, there can be no sweeping advances or Consolidation moves.

Can you help us to determine the outcome of this combat?

Thanks
    Tunus.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

can't see the pic (at work) but you don't get consolidations from combat vs vehicles (ever). However, that said, if you killed the bikes, you would get a d6 massacre move, which could be used to get into btb with the other bikers.

just remember, vehicles with no WS are never locked, nor can they engage your models. So no winning combat with them, you just get attacks and that's that.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot something:

The bike squad that was charged was 3-man strong originally. One died as a result of combat. Bikers lost and since Ravenwing is fearless they got wounds for being outnumbered. That's when those last 2 died. So would this give the orcs a massacre move, or just a consolidation (which they might not get because they are also in combat with a vehicle that has no WS)?

And thanks for the reply
    Last edited by Tunus; February 10th, 2008 at 23:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

If they died from wounds from "no retreat", then it is a simple consolidation. 3".
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Tunus View Post
    (which they might not get because they are also in combat with a vehicle that has no WS)?
    Being in combat with a Vehicle that has no WS can be simplified as saying that you're just beating on the side of the tank as it drives past. That's it. You're never locked in combat with it, you're not too busy dueling with it to do other stuff, you've just ran up to it and taken a swing at it.

The only way that a non-WS vehicle ever complicates a unit's movement is if the vehicle blocks their path and they've got to run around.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

The speeders you can ignore, if you were only in combat with the speeders then fine, follow the vehicle rules, but the fac you are in combat with the bikes is where your move comes from, simply use the rules for wiping out a squad (though outnumbering)
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for solving the problem guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I've played this is. The massacre and consolidation rules apply if the enemy is destroyed in CC or FB and/or destroyed from a sweeping advance. Because neither over those came up, you don;t make a consolidation move or massacre move because those results are directly linked to CC and not the wounds created because of being outnumbered.
    Help the kin TAKE your soul, I mean, take your soul...
    I play Vassal. I'm in V40K Open Ladder.

+ Reply to Thread