Non-Gamesworkshop Models in Tournements - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non-Gamesworkshop Models in Tournements

HI there. I am starting a WW2 based german steel legion/ Death Korps army and i dont have alot of money. While at a local model store i found some tanks that look remarkebly like the vostryian tank conversions on GW.com. And they are the same size for about 20 bucks cheaper. I have heard if i put enough GW bits on it that it would be tournamnet legal, i just wanted to know if it was true. The pic below is of what the tank looks like.

I know its a Russian Tank i just think it would look kick ass with a death Korps or Steel Legion Army. All i would have to do is put on the leman russ barrel and then some GW bits and accesories.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

That's really entirely up to the person organizing the individual tournament. There isn't some universal official standard you can point to in order to argue your way in. Normally what GW publishes for the GTs is that a model has to be at least 50% GW parts and 'based on' a GW model. As in, glueing GW bits onto a WarJack until it's 50% GW by volume won't cut it, but putting Warjack arms on a space marine dreadnaught would be ok.

In my limited experience, it comes down to, did you put a lot of time and effort into converting, modelling and building up a unique army that's cohesive in its theme, or did you slop three colors onto a Tamiya tank and slap it down next to some bog standard Cadians in order to save a couple bucks? The former plays, the latter doesn't. (Although I've never heard of anyone actually being kicked out and not allowed to play, they just generally don't get an official score recorded at the end.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Hi there,
    I agree with what InquisitorAffe just said and the statement that I find the most pertinent in the GT rules pack is “Conversions must begin as Citadel miniatures and contain a majority of Citadel components.”

So while I feel your pain in regards to the cost of 40K there are other options other than buying models brand new out of the box.
    Dare I say that EBay offers much to the fan of recycling?

But back to tournament legality, as said before, you have to apply for permission on usage on any non-standard model due to the confusion that it MAY cause in game.

The “MAY” is emphasized with a tongue in cheek mode as really, what else would that WW2 tank represent, a flyer? Its primarily more about keeping profits in-house and secondly about theme.

(By the way, nice Tank!)

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

You know, now that I've seen it mentioned, that KV-2 looks like it would make a pretty cool Guard tank! It certainly avoids the problems that other WWII tanks have in terms of 40K conversion worthiness - all the rest either look suitable but are too small to get the right effect, or are a nice size but look too lean, mean and efficient to pass as 40K tech! The KV-2 is one of those rare oddball designs that is both large and klunky enough to fit the bill - you're still going to need a fair bit of work to get the look right, but it's a great base model.

Good choice!

As for tournaments, it really depends on the venue, as the others have said. GW tourneys are probably right out, as they're not making nearly enough profit on the tank to allow it. Independent tournaments don't really have a viable reason to turn it away (unless they're really sucking up to GW), but I'd send some pictures to the organizers ahead of time so they can look it over before the fact. So long as it's a passible facsimile of a Russ, they shouldn't have much difficulty accepting it.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Actually many smaller tournaments will turn away non-GW models that don't follow the 50%+ rule of GT's, especially if the person has alot of them or clearly was trying to avoid buying GW products to save cash.

The reason being is many players do endevor to spend the extra money to stay fully legit, and it annoys some people when they go to the trouble of being as GW/GT legal as possible... and someone else comes in using plastic army men, two model tank conversions, and a Battlestar Gallactica toy as their army (and spending less then 1/3 to 1/4 what the players who bought the real GW stuff spent).

After all, some of the folks who sunk hundreds of dollars into the game store that's hosting the tourney... how do you think they feel if come tournament time after all the money the sunk into the store, they have to watch someone who spent a token of that at a nearby toy store getting the same recognition and acceptance.

Not exactly a good business model.

However few smaller tournaments that I've ever been to will turn you away for just 1 or 2 models, as long as it's

+WYSIWYG,
    +of an appropriate size,
    and
    +looks like you put work into it.

So it sounds to me like what you're wanting to do GMAleron would be just fine. You're not wanting to replace all your GW stuff, you just want to custom up some of your armored vehicles. I think most the smaller tournaments and stores I know would be A-Okay with what you're talking about.

GW though, well, GT means 50%+, no exceptions (though I'd heard they take it by mass/volume, OR by visible surface area).
    Last edited by BFGMidwesternPrisoner; March 11th, 2008 at 05:29.
    -
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

+ Reply to Thread