Librarium Online Forums banner

Close Combat stuff

462 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  eiglepulper 
#1 ·
Just a quick question:

Close combat, does it block line of sight?

Supposedly in 4th ed it doesnt but thats being somehow changed for 5th ed. All I need to know is currently, if I have a heavy weapon team and there is close combat taking place in front of me, would I be able to shoot units on the other side of that combat?

#3 ·
Correct - with one extra addition: if you're target is bigger than everyone else involved in the combat, too.

Now I have no rulebook onhand here at work, but perhaps someone can verify whether I'm correct or not... but I'm pretty sure close combat blocks sight by size category (similar to area terrain) and not actual line of sight. This would mean that even if you want to shoot at a monolith, a combat with a tomb spider will block LoS. Confirmation needed on that, though.

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure close combat blocks sight by size category (similar to area terrain) and not actual line of sight.
Yep: P.20 BGB, second bullet point.

This would mean that even if you want to shoot at a monolith, a combat with a tomb spider will block LoS. Confirmation needed on that, though.
According to RAW, I reckon it does mean that. Having said that, the models' size difference might just cause some raised eyebrows if someone were to claim that a TS made the CC into the same size as a Monolith! Nevertheless, in the same bullet point it does make the statement

"Models engaged or locked in CC block LOS through them up to the height of the participating models".

Therefore according to RAW, the lone TS is able to cause an entire CC which otherwise involves Size 2 or 1 (Scarabs, anyone?) models to block LOS to a huge vehicle like a Monolith. Strange, but them's the roolz (it appears).

E.

#5 ·
Yea I was kind of wondering about the whole size thing. I mean specifically take a Walker for instance (dreadnought, wraithlord, sentinel), I don't think there is any given size but they have a weapon skill so they would block los once engaged. Or the size of a Hellhound compared to a Land Raider, are they both size 3 even though one dwarfs the other in model size?

Its easy if its a vehicle or monstrous creature because they have a given size but there are many units that dont actually have a listed stat. I'm guessing there is a all-encompensing "all units are size 2 unless stated otherwise" somewhere that I haven't seen.

#7 ·
In a kind of way, yes there is. It's on P.7 BGB. Size 1 models will have the USR "Small Target" in their special rules, Size 3 is basically anything gi-normous like vehicles (regardless of their individual dimensions) or MCs, so there is that remaining Size 2 section which effectively says "Everyone else fits in here", without actually saying it word for word!

E.

#6 ·
A walker is still a vehicle, so it's size 3 like any other vehicle. In principal, if you had a line of 50 conscripts spread out at full coherency down the table and charged them on one end with a Dread, the entire line of guardsmen now block all LOS all the way across the table. Nifty rule, huh?

Note a hellhound will rarely block LOS to a land raider. Vehicles without a WS cannot be locked in combat, so that rule will not kick in. Line of Sight past a vehicle (that isn't locked in combat) is always true model's eye view line of sight.

(wraithlord is a monstrous creature, not a walker, btw =) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.