Base size for terminators - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Base size for terminators

I've did a search on LO and turned every rulebook upside down, but can't find the answer
    to the following problem.

I've got 12 Chaos Terminators, all the old metal versions. These came with the standard,
    small 1" round base.
    During a tourney, an opponent claimed that was not the right base size for Terminators.

I know that the new Terminators now all come with the larger, 1,5" bases, and thus these are
    modelled as such.

I couldn't find anything about this anywhere.

So my question is: Does this mean my old Terminators need to get the larger bases also?

------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Kantoken View Post
    I've did a search on LO and turned every rulebook upside down, but can't find the answer
    to the following problem.

I've got 12 Chaos Terminators, all the old metal versions. These came with the standard,
    small 1" round base.
    During a tourney, an opponent claimed that was not the right base size for Terminators.

I know that the new Terminators now all come with the larger, 1,5" bases, and thus these are
    modelled as such.

I couldn't find anything about this anywhere.

So my question is: Does this mean my old Terminators need to get the larger bases also?
    I would think so. The base a model is shipped with is the minimum size (p.6 of the rulebook). While your particular models were technically shipped with the smaller base, the fact that the new ones are bigger means that the model 'Chaos Terminator' now has a minimum base size of 1.5".
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

except that the rules don't read that way.

you are able to use your oldies just fine.

if you are going to play in a local tourney, you may wish to check with the organizers just to be safe, but you shouldn't have any issues what so ever about it.

gotta say I laughed pretty hard when i was told I had an unfair advantage because my landspeeders are the old small metal ones=)
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by tarzen View Post
    except that the rules don't read that way.

you are able to use your oldies just fine.

if you are going to play in a local tourney, you may wish to check with the organizers just to be safe, but you shouldn't have any issues what so ever about it.

gotta say I laughed pretty hard when i was told I had an unfair advantage because my landspeeders are the old small metal ones=)
    So do you mean to say that if I were to find some Termies (or whatever large, based model you want) which had mistakenly been packaged with the wrong size of base, I could/must use that minimum base size for my models, regardless of what is supposed to be correct?

As of now, Chaos Terminators are usually supplied with a 1.5 inch" base. Thus, 1.5" is the minimum base size for Chaos Terminators. I don't see how else you can read those rules.
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Back in the day, dreads and bikes didn't come with bases. Those particular models don't need to be based, per the bgb. If your wraithlord came with a 1.5" base, use it. If it came with the 2.5" base, swapping it out for a 1.5" is illegal. Forcing people to swap to bigger bases is not how the rule is written. It is saying that if you don't use what CAME with the model, you MUST use something BIGGER.

oh, and to the OP, next time someone calls you on it, ask them to prove that each and everyone of their models is a citadel or GW casting, not a self made casting of GW's stuff=)
    Last edited by tarzen; April 16th, 2008 at 19:57. Reason: poor poor poor spelling
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Hi,
    The rule on bases is obviously designed to provide consistency in base sizes as its starting point and goes onto limiting modification of base size in the upward direction only.
    Probably due to the perceived problems of grouping models too closely together so that they can better hide behind terrain and avoid templates.

But as to the question “Does this mean my old Terminators need a larger base?”

By strict RAW, no but I would realign myself with current modeling practices ASAP to avoid the problem that you mentioned as there is no way you can prove that your old models actually came with those bases.
    (You could possibly back order old models like this but they wouldn’t be shipped with the older bases.)

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

I'm pretty sure if you ordered a metal terminator you'd be supplied one with the older slot-a-base too.
    All my terminators are on the smaller bases and nobody has ever even mentioned it.
    It is perfectly legal to leave them on the base they were designed for.

The rules are pretty clearly in your favour.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by omegoku View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you ordered a metal terminator you'd be supplied one with the older slot-a-base too.
    as happened last week to me.
    It's 100% a tournament-by tournament issue - if nothing said use the bases officially supplied with the mini, for the mini (oh those of you who point out leman russe's have a 20mm round base in the box)

Some people like to put one larger bases on their smaller modelled unit for the charge range - especially coming out of assault vehicles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK friendlies it doesnt matter.

Tourneys - as per tarzen, it is the base the model came with, not what that model has now, case in point Eldar bikers, I have some that came with the small (25mm) flying bases, I have some that came with the hexagonal flyinf bases and nowerdays they all come with larger flying bases, I dont need to back convert old bike bases. I can, in line with the rule book, use the base they came with
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    155 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by stayscrunchyinmilk View Post
    Some people like to put one larger bases on their smaller modelled unit for the charge range - especially coming out of assault vehicles
    Well it is perfectly legal to use a larger base then what was supplied...just not a smaller one. The base that is supplied with the model is considered to be the minimum base size for that model.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast