Aww, a direct hit... But I get re-rolls. Yay! A miss! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, a direct hit... But I get re-rolls. Yay! A miss!

For twin linked, can you re-roll even if it hits? I ask this for assault cannons, with rending, and also for Crazed dreadnaughts. If my dreadnaught has a twin linked lascannon, and it gets fire frenzy on my own models, can I choose to reroll the hits?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

Nope. Check page 30 under twin-linked weapons, second sentence... "if it misses".

EDIT: I enjoyed the title, by the way.
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Yeah, the idea is that if shot 1 misses, shot 2 might hit... If shot 1 takes someone's head off, it doesn't really matter what shot 2 does!

Of course, here I am, making the mistake of looking at 40K in a logical manner - all that really matters is the rules themselves, and Moglun's already provided the definitive answer.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

235 (x4)

Speaking of 40K and logic, I've always thought that twin-linked weapons should reroll to wound/AP, not to hit. Seems like if one misses the other likely would as well, since both barrels are firing into nearly the same spot, but if they DO hit they'll do a fair bit more damage.
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Moglun View Post
    Speaking of 40K and logic, I've always thought that twin-linked weapons should reroll to wound/AP, not to hit. Seems like if one misses the other likely would as well, since both barrels are firing into nearly the same spot, but if they DO hit they'll do a fair bit more damage.
    Interesting take on the subject... here's my thoughts:

In terms of rapid firing weapons (Heavy Bolters and such), shots fired on auto don't hit the same spot, they spread over an area (recoil, wind, and other ballistic vagaries altering the path of each round). So twin linked weapons ensure more hits by putting more shots into the same area, basically saturating the target area.

Heavier, single shot stuff (Lascannons, Missile launchers, Autocannons, Plasma rifles) probably aren't firing at the same time - likely a half second delay (boom.....boom, not boomboom). So since this is all in terms of shooting a moving target, the two shots are fired on different trajectories, bracketing the target so that if one falls short, the other is far enough ahead to score a hit (or vice versa).

So if both barrels are indeed firing at once, re-rolling wounding or AP makes much more sense because you're hitting the target twice as hard. The current twin-link rule behaves much more like my staggered fire model above, re-rolling hits because the shots are taking two different paths.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Moglun View Post
    I like that idea way more, the idea of missing and getting another shot makes no sense, it should be a single bullet BUT 2 chances to pierce armour and wound.

+ Reply to Thread