counter charge question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

counter charge question

I have a quick question about the counter charge abillity. What is its benifit? from my understanding, all you get from it is you move 6 inches forward when charged

Am i misreading this? Im almost sure that there is somthing im not seeing/misreading

Thanks for the help in advance!

"Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

That's right. It's harder for an attacker to engage a small number of the defenders with a large number of his troops.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

O i see so your opponet cannot consolidate into another unit after killing the first squad

that would be an amazing doctrine for the imperail guard
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

It also means that your unit has more of a chance to fight back - so rather than the whole of the enemy unit fighting against small portion of yours, then against any survivors next turn, everyone gets a chance to fight in the first round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by sendaf View Post
    O i see so your opponet cannot consolidate into another unit after killing the first squad
    It doesn't prevent that at all. It could possibly have that effect though since his pile in move could be much less.

As noted by the other two it simply allows you an immediate pile in move so that he can't engage just a corner portion of your squad, he must fight all (or at least most) of it.
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

FYI in 5th edition the "rumor" (since it isn't official yet, but since it is SO close, less than 2 months or so) is that all units will get the CURRENT rule "counter attack" in that they'll get a 6" charge reaction pile in type move.

All units currently w/ counter attack will act as though they themselves ALSO charged, or will at least get +1 attack each.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I really hope not, the last thing I want is more Firewarriors in B2B contacts.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with medic_4077. Although id like to add that this rule was particularly effective in the previous version whereby models within 2 inches of a combat can only participate by throwing a rock ( 1 attack) at base strength.

I play space wolves who all have the Counter Attack special rule (except Long Fangs) in Codex: Space Wolves it states, (and i quote):

oh no you don't, please dont post copyright material

So for example, a squad of (5) possessed space marines charges my squad of (10) Blood Claws and all 5 possessed make contact with 2 of my blood claws. Meaning i get total of 4 attacks (+rocks) in comparison to the possessed 20 or so attacks.
    This is where i use my Counter-Attack rule. I can move my 8 unengaged models up to 6 inches into combat. Thus if all 8 are in range, i get an additional 16attacks.

The joys of the old rules.....*reminiscing*......

Though the current rules now saw that models within 2 inches still count towards the combat as can still use the full compliment of their attacks anyway.
    Though bunching up units as you may know makes perfect targets for ordnance weaponry.

Hope this helps your predicament.

P.S. even though its using space wolf terminology, the rules are still the same for any army who has this rule, unless stated otherwise.
    Last edited by Karmoon; May 16th, 2008 at 14:05.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

Azza, I would edit that post out pretty quickly, as posting rules from GW's (Copyrighted) books is prettymuch the original sin as far as Librarium is concerned (as we don't want to get shut down).

On the matter of all units getting it, I don't think this is happening, and I certainly hope not, as my guard "road blocks" would be much less effective if this was the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Even though Uncle Cheredanine has already been here and done his thing, just a gentle reminder that we can't post copy righted material Azza

but, thank you for helping - as that was your intention.

You might like to take a quick looky through the rules for LO which are (hopefully) linked in my signature.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread