Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Ive been out of the loop for a while but with 5th ed looming i couldnt resist. Im a GK player which started off as pure GK (got my ass handed to mE) then went to SM with allied GK (works surprisingly well if i ignore vehicals). Now with 5ed coming im changing it again (Inqus plus lots of assassins and IST) with also a view to make it apoc worthy (3000+pts).
To the rules!! Yes i know im not allowed to ask specifics but here goes:
1) I want to use valkaries and vultures in standard (1500pt - 2500pts) games, am i allowed?
2) Is there some special rule that DOESNT allow IST to take valks?
3) I have to buy Imperial armour vol 1 dont I coz the appoc one is too powerful?
Im prity sure 3) is right but as ive not bought IA vol 1 im not sure of the specifics, dont want to buy a useless book if it says valks come with 10 Hardend vets or some such rule.
Dont flame me too bad and thanks for any help.
Last edited by Pheonix Lord; June 12th, 2008 at 11:07. Reason: Spelling
Well, considering that valk's & vultures are not part of any standard codex, you cannot legally field them in a normal game. That said, if your regular gaming group doesn't mind playing against them, feel free to use whatever you want.
And I can't answer what rulebook they are in, sorry.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Ive gone and done abit of snooping with the answeres you gave and heres what i found:
1) Valks are in IA 1 and IA 2, Vults in IA 1. Not sure bout new valk rules in the 'elysian' book (its IA 3 btw).
2) The valks and Vults in IA 1 are IG varients. The Valk in IA 2 is an INQUISITORIAL Valk so presumiable id need the rules for this one for my ISTs. (Remember mines a GK list)
3) Does this mean that only IG can use vults or because its IA its not codex specific (not that i can see SMs being allowed to use it! Lol dont think they would fit!)
4) I do want to have this army go Apoc size but id love to try valks and vults in normal games. I take it all id need is the oponats permission?
5) Yes ive heard rumers of the vults inclusion into the normal game (like the drop pod) but surly these rules wont be out untill the new IG dex is out which is way out in the grim darkness of the future. (Not that i WANT to buy 2 IA books but they do look cool.)
Phew i get answeres and just ask more questions!
Last edited by Pheonix Lord; June 12th, 2008 at 15:19. Reason: addition
2) Grey knights are inquisitorial (more than guard anyway)
3) At present it's something you need permission from your opponent for anyway, I'd say no - It's not for marines. And i'm lenient (In my opinion anyway) Your opponent may be different.
4) And a model, yes.
5) I'm already looking forwards to it, and have decided on the paint jobs for my pair, how i'll do it and the painting schedule, technique, contingencies for hiccups and basing options. Oohh... the anticipation...
Oh, really worth pointing out :They're a B%$^H to make, transport and keep together. Seriously, they're 9.5/10 difficulty, and no plastic kit would get over 2/10. You need to GOOD to do it justice. (I wanted one for my 27th b/day, and think i could have done it eventually, but am now waiting for plastics as it'll be worth it. P.S. wife didn't, but got me a marine compant at c/mas instead.)
Last edited by stayscrunchyinmilk; June 13th, 2008 at 00:04.
Lol thanks for that last bit. Never thought about putting it together. The only thing ive got from Forge world was the avatar (which had like only 8 conponants, cant mix an arm and leg up lol).
So to sum up all thats been said (which has been very helpful, thanks all):
1) Valks and Vults CAN currently be used in standared games but u need model (duh), IA vol x (rules) and oponants permision to use.
2) The ISTs (inquisitorial storm troopers) CAN use Valks but would need the rules for the INQUISITORIAL Valk. (IA vol 2)
3) Still unsure about the Vults. What u said above sounds like ud only let IG lists use Vults, not GK lists. Of course i could just wait to see what the new rules say (5th ed and new IG dex) but thats a while off.
4) As a compromise how about i get some inducted IG ALLIED into my GK list. Vults could (in theory) be a part of the inducted units.
Well this is to wrap up whats been said so any final thougts befor i go off to buy a 35 quid book and 2x 85 quid valks? (200 pounds, sob)
Check out Ebay for the birds in particular. The IA books are less common but still worth a look-see.
"Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"