Eldar Holofields - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Eldar Holofields

Oh mighty rules forum! i prostrate myself in front of you again with a vexing question!
    My opponent and i disagreed on an interpratation of a ruling - we diced off and got on with it,l however:
    A sniper rifle (or in this case the turbo penetrator round) is shooting at a wave serpant. It has a armour penetration of 3D6. I roll 6,5 and 4 (And did a little dance)
    My opponent says his equipped holofield stops the penetration being more than 1D6, as I may not add more than 1d6 for penetration, for example with Meltas and Ordenance weapons.
    I argued that i'm not adding 3D6 to the str of the rifle, it doesn't have a strength, my penetration IS 3D6, not +3D6.

What happens?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Well I may be of help to you here, holo-fields are actually I different upgrade that you cannot get on Wave serpants. He's thinking of energy fields, that basically allow no addition d6's to be added to your strength. But these rules are very similar to the Necron monoliths "living metal" rule, and it is stated on the Necron FAQ that the turbo penetrator round is allowed is 3d6 because it works differently than normal weapons.

I believe it is also allowed on the wave serpant, because of the wording in the DH codex is that you roll 2d6 for it's strength PLUS the normal d6 for penetration. So out of the 3d6 your actually just rolling 2 of them to see what your strength is then you roll for penetration.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

That's not the holofield, it's a different special rule for a different vehicle. If he was telling you a holofield equipped falcon or prism has that rule he's a cheater of a different kind =)

The turbo penetrator does not count as 'bonus' dice. 3D6 is its base penetration value. It could be thought of as S=2D6 + 1D6 penetration. See the FAQ on the necron codex for reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Holo fields affect the roll on the damage tables not ap of weapons. Its the energy field special rule thats used here. Serpents can not have holo fields btw. (thats 2 counts of cheating!)
    Im not sure about the necron special rule but the energy feild does not allow any ADDITIONAL penertation u might get (like meltas at half range) as has already be stated above. I say additional penetration because it does say no more than +1d6. The wording for turbo penetrator however stats that the shot has a penetration value of 3d6 against vehicals so 3d6 is what u get. (also to note the energy field is only on the front arc, get round the side and he cant moan either way)
    PL
    Last edited by Pheonix Lord; June 13th, 2008 at 12:16. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Isn't it amazing

Isn't it amazing how many players are able to remember the good things about their armies while conveniently forgetting the bad...

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix Lord View Post
    (also to note the energy field is only on the front arc, get round the side and he cant moan either way)
    It's front & side, not just front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

D'oh! Hmm interesting. I used to use war walkers which had the energy feild rule which was only front arc, never had a serpent till they went plastic so just cut and paste the rule on top of it. New eldar dex the war walker loses the energy feild but the serpent keeps it. Lol in the old eldar dex they had a rule that was called exactly the same but worked in 2 different ways! Only in GW folks!

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix Lord View Post
    D'oh! Hmm interesting. I used to use war walkers which had the energy feild rule which was only front arc, never had a serpent till they went plastic so just cut and paste the rule on top of it. New eldar dex the war walker loses the energy feild but the serpent keeps it. Lol in the old eldar dex they had a rule that was called exactly the same but worked in 2 different ways! Only in GW folks!
    How many different bionics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

lol well my bionics are mark II! Well mine are 3rd ed DH bioncs. Thats nothing mine are snazy mk XXVI SM bioncs!
    Point was that in the same codex there was a rule that was called the same and had 2 different effects.
    All very off topic. Mind you questions answered so lets party!!
    PL

+ Reply to Thread