Do skimmers block movement? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do skimmers block movement?

Had a game tonight at my local GW store and was not happy about an incident and wanted other peoples interpretation.

I know how the "fish of fury" works to block assaults, but what about the other way round? I had a marine squad with an stunned eldar skimmer next to it. on the far side of the skimmer was an eldar squad who then moved and charged "under" their skimmer. I tried to use the fof example to argue against this but even the staff said it was ok because it was the eldars own skimmer.

What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Unless the rule has changed in the new edition, you must run around the vehicle, it does not matter what side you are on.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Hi,
    The area on the table was already occupied by the Eldar skimmer and so nothing can else may use this space in duplication, this commonly called ‘stacking bases’ in the game and is not allowed.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

The 4th edition rulebook clearly states "a model may not move into/through the space occupied by a friendly model" while there are rules which may suggest skimmers can get high enough to let infantry under them, since no exception is given saying "infantry may move through a skimmer due to it's elevation" no this tactic would not be allowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Well, 5e still does not allow a model to move through another model's space, but it uses the caveat "represented by its base or hull". What may have happened here is that the GW employees allowed a friendly model to move under the skimmer, around the base. This seems in line with the 5e rules, as vertical positioning does matter; you don't just measure range on the horizontal anymore, but at the actual sight angle.

NOTE:
    I'm yet to see anything in the new skimmer rules about not blocking LoS, and the new rules do mandate that a flying base be used. (I'm guessing that you just use true LOS to shoot under them.)
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Skimmers land in the new edition after they move, which I believe means they block line of sight like normal vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So does that mean that they will need to take dangerous terrain tests like jump troopers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by frozencore View Post
    Skimmers land in the new edition after they move,
    I'm gonna disagree here. Nowhere does the word "land" appear. What it does say is that at the end of a move, the skimmer must be "set down on the table". this is then further illustrated to mean that they no longer "hover over terrain"; they must also take dangerous terrain tests for starting or ending in terrain. They remain on their flying base this entire time; in fact, only immobilized or wrecked results allow you to remove the base.

There is no way that any of this means they block LOS. The only reason they do not block LoS anymore is the fact that the rule is now NONEXISTENT.

Last edited by psichotykwyrm; June 28th, 2008 at 15:20. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

255 (x6)

Fine fine, the word "land" might not appear (though I thought I remembered that being in there), but the rules seem to imply that the skimmer is in fact landing after their move. If a skimmer isn't hovering what is it doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by frozencore View Post
    Fine fine, the word "land" might not appear (though I thought I remembered that being in there), but the rules seem to imply that the skimmer is in fact landing after their move. If a skimmer isn't hovering what is it doing?
    Well, considering that there is the actual ability to land for Tau tanks, there is a very big difference; I'm not just arguing semantics here.

A skimmer is obviously still "skimming", you're just no longer allowed to make it "hover over terrain". The base must actually be physically sitting on something, and this is the skimmer's actual position.

No more vertical abstracts; True Line of Sight, FTW.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast