Rapid fire question? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Rapid fire question?

I'm sure there is a thread LIKE this on the forum somewhere but when I was at the GW today a squad of marines moved towards a target of plague marines, and the kid goes "6 marines, 12 shots" and I'm like "how come its 12? don't they only shoot once if they move, even to only 12 inches", I questioned it over and over and read the book but it didn't really give (from what I could interpret) a definitive answer.

So we asked the guy at the store and he said "yep, they are rapid fire so they can still fire 2 shots to 12 inches even if they move."

I was amazed, I've ALWAYS thought it was either one shot 24", 2 shots 12" standing still, or one shot 12" if you move.

Have I really been wrong this whole time or were they misreading the rules?

On games of vassal I've played it that way and no-one has said anything, I've always believed it to be true.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

It is because you are an edition out - the way you describe rapid fire is how it worked in 3rd edition.

In 4th it is either 1 shot at max range (typically 24" but the pulse rifle is an exception) Or 2 shots at 12".

If you move you can only fire 2 shots at 12" or don't fire at all.

P.S in 3rd ed rapid fire was the action of firing 2 shots but in 4th it is a weapon classification.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

ha weird, but I've been doing it like that on vassal without anyone saying anything? I dunno I was so sure it was one shot if you move regardless of rapid fire. But now that I know that, my marines are going to be a lot more useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

What?!

thats all I have to say. I just never knew *goes out and uses more rapid firing weapons*

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Yep, it's there on P.29 BGB, 2nd paragraph of Rapid Fire Weapons. The thing is, it also applies to plasma guns....and if you RF one of those it (in 4th Ed) overheats on a 1 or a 2.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Notes for 5e:

-Rapid Fire is still the same, but they have nice little diagrams so that hopefully nobody makes a mistake.

-"Gets Hot!" will only ever happen on a roll of 1 anymore, regardless of the number of shots fired.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by gauss_storm View Post
    What?!

thats all I have to say. I just never knew *goes out and uses more rapid firing weapons*
    Dude, you use Cron Warriors!

And you thought they were good before, now you can really dish out the pain!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

Yeah back when I started this hobby I found an old 3rd edition second hand at an independant store and bought it for like $5 and learned some rules from that before finally buying the 4th edition, and I guess I never read that part of the rule book because I didn't think it would change.

But I'm all for rapid firing now! I honestly never knew that and now I can get twice as many shots of lameness into any orks stupid/angry/tactical enough to get close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but don't forget that "models that fired a rapid fire weapon in the shooting phase can not assault into close combat in the ensuing assault phase."

+ Reply to Thread