Multiple Units and No Retreat - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Multiple Units and No Retreat

Let's say I have two units of six gaunts in CC with 5 space marines. At the end of the CC one unit of gaunts (unit A) looses two modes, the other unit (unit B ) had lost 3 models, and the SMurfs lost none. On top of that, the gaunts are in synapse range and are considered fearless.

The gaunts lost by 5 models and therefore have to take 5 wounds. Where do these wounds go?

a) Each unit takes 5 saves
    b) Unit A takes 2 saves and Unit B takes 3 saves
    c) Nid player chooses where the 5 saves go

Last edited by magnet_man; August 14th, 2008 at 19:14.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is clearly explained in the multiple units in combat part of the rulebook.

Don't have a page atm though. It's a)

A big nerf for gaunt tar pits.

Hive Fleet Lucanus : 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

155 (x2)

It is NOT actually addressed in the Multiple Combat (P.41) section or in the No Retreat section (P.44). The only thing that even hits at an answer is on P.44 under the No Retreat rule where it states that these units (referring to the fearless loosing units of combat) suffer a number of wounds equal to the number their side lost by.

By that wording it could be argued that either each unit take the total hits or that the total hits are freely allocated out by the defending player; however, I don’t think that there is any language to support the wounds being forced to be allocated proportionally to the units that took the original wounds, even though that is the way that would make the most sense.

Personally I think that the way it is worded leans toward you solution C, though as I said I think that it should be B.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Wundagore View Post
    This is clearly explained in the multiple units in combat part of the rulebook.

Don't have a page atm though. It's a)

A big nerf for gaunt tar pits.
    It's page 41 of the rule book for multiple combats, but it does not address what happens when the units are fearless. Just says they have to test for morale.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

1) The multiple combat section states each individual unit suffers the full value of their side's combat resolution score.

2)The No Retreat rule says a fearless unit must take a number of saves equal to the combat resolution rather than take a morale test.

3)Therefore, answer a, each fearless unit must take 5 saves, in the example above, would be correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitorAffe View Post
    1) The multiple combat section states each individual unit suffers the full value of their side's combat resolution score.

2)The No Retreat rule says a fearless unit must take a number of saves equal to the combat resolution rather than take a morale test.

3)Therefore, answer a, each fearless unit must take 5 saves, in the example above, would be correct.
    This is how I interpreted it as well, much to my dislike when I play my swarming Tyranid army.

*finds a the corner his gaunts ran off to and consoles them*
    Tyranid and Eldar player....don't ask me how I ended up playing these two armies, just smile, nod, slowly move away and don't make eye contact!

+ Reply to Thread