Open Topped, and Fire Point shooting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Can units firing from a transport fire at a different unit than the transport

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 81.82%
  • No

8 18.18%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Open Topped, and Fire Point shooting

I ws playing with some Dark Eldar last night and my teamate tried to shoot his vehicle at one unit, and his models inside it at another unit. We argued about it for a little while; then came to the conclusion that it is similar to an independant charactor in a unit, which needs to shoot at the same thing as his unit (because until they get out of the transport they are part of that unit.)

The rules don't seem to really say anything either way, but we talked about if you would let a psyker use a power on a unit that the tank he was in didn't shoot at, and everybody except one guy was more or less ok with that, but we ended up playing that they had to shoot the same thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by nichodemus10 View Post
    I ws playing with some Dark Eldar last night and my teamate tried to shoot his vehicle at one unit, and his models inside it at another unit. We argued about it for a little while; then came to the conclusion that it is similar to an independant charactor in a unit, which needs to shoot at the same thing as his unit (because until they get out of the transport they are part of that unit.)

The rules don't seem to really say anything either way, but we talked about if you would let a psyker use a power on a unit that the tank he was in didn't shoot at, and everybody except one guy was more or less ok with that, but we ended up playing that they had to shoot the same thing.
    I haven't researched it much as it doesn't come up very often. the argument I used is that unless the unit is on the board it is attached to the vehicle and shooting is measured fromt eh vehicle.
    Dear Game Designer,
    Rock is Cheese. Paper is fine.
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has come up before here (Shooting out of transports), generally in 4th it was accepted that you could fire at a seperate target. I see no reason why this wouldn't be the case in 5th.

Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x4)

The two are seperate units, and may therefore fire at seperate targets.

At least, that was the 4th gen ruling, I can't see where it's changed for 5th.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by nedroj View Post
    This has come up before here (Shooting out of transports), generally in 4th it was accepted that you could fire at a seperate target. I see no reason why this wouldn't be the case in 5th.
    because its 5th edition
    arguments or rulings of previous editions are not valid
    Last edited by DJinni; October 5th, 2008 at 18:20.
    Dear Game Designer,
    Rock is Cheese. Paper is fine.
    Signed,
    Scissors

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Here's the proof.

P.92 BRB "Multiple Choice Units"
    Apart from being bought as a single choice, these units operate and count as separate units in all respects
    Note the words in the bracketed section immediately preceding this quoted statement.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    Here's the proof.

P.92 BRB "Multiple Choice Units"
    But an independant charactar and his blood angel honor guard are different unit choices, but if one is standing inside (or even within 2 inches of) the other they have to shoot at the same target.

Why are transports any different?

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

The IC counts as an upgrade character for the Retinue/Honour Guard (P.48 BRB under 'Retinues'). Referring back to P.47 BRB, second bullet point which explains what 'upgrade characters' are, how they function, etc:
    they do not have an entry of their own and are effectively just another trooper in their unit
    Thus the IC+Retinue count as a single unit regarding shooting etc. P.16 BRB explains how a single unit may fire in the Shooting Phase:
    A firing unit..[...]..and may not split its fire among different targets
    Referring to Dedicated Transports: the rulebook on P.92 specifically mentions them in the ruling about the vehicle and the transported troops as being "separate" units.

Non-dedicated transports are inevitably 'separate units' as they are taken from a different section of the army list to that of the troops which may embark therein (Heavy Support, for example, like Land Raiders).

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by nichodemus10 View Post
    But an independant charactar and his blood angel honor guard are different unit choices, but if one is standing inside (or even within 2 inches of) the other they have to shoot at the same target.
    So that may have been too confusing an example. They are not independant and retinue, but independant and another squad...So to rephrase, my Librarian is with my devastator squad, and they have to shoot the same thing even though they are different choices. You don't think that an independant character joining a unit is going to be similar to a unit joining a transport?

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

always wondered that but the only thing it ever concerned was the flashlights on my chimera so I never bothered to find the answer. Thanks!
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast