Assaulting Tau skimmers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assaulting Tau skimmers

Rules question concerning the Tua vechicle upgrade that wounds an assaulting enemy on a 4+.

Here is the situation: A 20 strong stormboyz mob assaults a unit of three Tau Parana. Each of the Parana have the "shard glass" upgrade (sorry, don't remember the exact name) that wounds the assaulting model on a 4+. Since the upgrade is purchased for each individual Parana, does the Tau player roll 20 die against the assaulting mob or does he rool 60 die, 20 for each Parana that purchased the upgrade? Equally, since this is esentially a shooting attack, if the stormboyz are within range of a KFF, do they get a cover save?

Thanks for your help on this one...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I think each enemy model attacking would recieve 1 wound on a 4+ (don't have the codex in front of me though) so unless an ork is stupid enough to split attacks you would roll a single die for each ork attacking.

And no, I don't believe you would get a cover save since this is in the assault phase
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is the way I figured it, since the attacks from the stormboyz are allocated across the entire squad, the entire squad would be attacked by a single attack each from the three pirianhas for a total of 20 rather than an attack from each pirianha in the squad for a total of 60.

I didn't figure the KFF would help in an assault phase.

Thanks...

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Each Piranha which is involved in the assault would be able to attack whichever enemy were 'valid targets', ie within the prescribed 2" distance as per a normal assault. Each Piranha can attempt to wound all such models on a 4+ before any of the assaulting models get to attack.

It could turn out that some assaulting models could be within the 2" of more than one Piranha, in whcih case they would give rise to more than one Flechette attempt being made against them.

Moral in the story: assault a single Piranha at a time. The damage on one is distributed throughout the squadron, so why would you risk more damage to your own unit by assaulting more than one vehicle anyway?

E.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that the comment in paragraph two is intended to mean that more than one Piranha was being assaulted at the same time.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; October 28th, 2008 at 23:12. Reason: clarification of statement
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds more reasonable. Thanks for the interpretation.

And yea, I did assault one vehicle based upon that exact thought pattern.

Thanks again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

The flechettes wound "each attacking model"...

I think the model must actually be attacking, they wouldn't get wounded twice for being only "engaged" with multiple flechette discharging vehicles.

And besides, aren't squadrons always dealt with as a unit? Doesn't that mean that you either fight the whole unit or not at all?
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    The flechettes wound "each attacking model"...

I think the model must actually be attacking, they wouldn't get wounded twice for being only "engaged" with multiple flechette discharging vehicles.

And besides, aren't squadrons always dealt with as a unit? Doesn't that mean that you either fight the whole unit or not at all?
    Yes, I see your point about the attacking models. The thing is though: the rulebook says on P.63 under "Launching an assault" that
    "As normal, all engaged models will attack"
    So all the engaged guys will blatter the heck out of the vehicle or vehicles. Now then - how do we decide which vehicle is allowed to smack which model with Flechettes if all the models are engaged? The Flechette rules state that these come from a vehicle (singular), so each vehicle must therefore be able to fire its own Flechettes if it is being physically attacked. The Flechette rules do not say anything about a squadron of vehicles armed with FDs being able to have all the members of the squadron let rip if just one vehicle is attacked. (Obviously though the reverse is not true: the vehicles may all be affected by the assault on just one of their number, as per the Squadron rule).

If I have two Piranhas which are both engaged by a unit of 20 Orks, and go by the FD rule that only models attacking a specific Piranha can be attacked by the FDs, what way do we work out the FD attacks on those models who are "between" the Piranhas, ie the guys in the second row who are feasibly able to attack either one vehicle or the other? Is it treated as a multiple combat?

I'm just unsure what way this should be played, as is probably pretty obvious!

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would play it that each Ork gets hit by one flechette attack from each Pirahna that it is engaged with (within 2" of a model in btb)
    "i am a leaf in the wind, see how i soar"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

596 (x8)

Indeed. As the Orks would be attacking the squadron in general but only in BtB contact with the 2 Piranhas, I think you could swing that one and it's exactly the ay I would probably play it too. However, it's still a little grey when you factor in the "models attacking the vehicle" bit from the Codex. It does tend to suggest that a vehicle can only affect those models actually intent on doing *it* damage and not its wingman.

FAQ, anyone?

E.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Would you be able to only engage one model? Would the other piranhas get effected by the Defender react rule? (no rule book at work, but I dont remember seeing a "only models with a WS do this" near the defenders react)
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast