Haemonculus with a Stinger, Exploding the Nightbringer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Haemonculus with a Stinger, Exploding the Nightbringer

Greetings fellow 40K minds (like the title)
    This is on the Dark Eldar and Necron forums, and everyone says "one for the rules forum". So, I figured I'd put it here too, as it does need a rule reference or other.

Anyway, I was in a bit of a situation here with a Necron player. Let me lay it out for you.

• C'Tan Nightbringer was 12 inches away from a lone Haemonculus with a Stinger after a terrible round of gauss weaponry straight to my warriors left him stranded
    • Thank the heavens it was my turn. And thank the heavens after an absolutely delightful shooting phase from the previous turn by 4 Dark Lances (courtesy of your friendly, neighbourhood Ravager and Raider), it was down to its last wound. The look on my opponent's face was telling a story. "He is a god!"
    • I decided I may as well take the risk and shoot the NB with the Stinger. I managed to hit on a 5, and being able to wound on a 2+, it was inevitable that I would wound too.
    • And wouldn't you believe it, THE NIGHTBRINGER FAILED ITS SAVE! HAH! No wounds left, and I say to my opponent, "Well, he was a god!"
    • But then something hit me, a model that dies by the effect of a stinger explodes, using a blast marker and a C'Tan that dies by the effect of its last wound explodes too, using another blast marker, or in this case a Large BM.
    Now there was time for speculation. I said to my opponent that the Stinger template should be used with the normal rules for it (ie. AP = Sv, S = T), but he insisted that the original "C'Tan Bomb" be used.
    And my question: who is right? Me? Him? Or are both templates used? Or worst case scenario, none?
    Any ideas would be good!
    Also, if there is something I am overlooking here, then I would like to know, such as a rule or special rule.

Fly High!

Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I would say both explosions happen as neither rule says that it overrides any other explody effects.
    My blog - http://wingsofsanguinius.blogspot.com
    Been here nearly 10 years and still haven't managed 500 posts.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

the simplest by the book explanation is both explosions happen, but there are more inventive ways for a fun result You can add inches to the result of the explosion due to the explosive nature of both the C'tan and the stinger, i.e. it explodes D6"+3, or you could use the larger of the templates, the higher of the strengths and the lower of the AP's as whatever explosion it would be would become nastier with the stinger missile

As my friend Holland says when playing, "It's all good as long as something explodes"
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkuli View Post
    [*]But then something hit me, a model that dies by the effect of a stinger explodes, using a blast marker and a C'Tan that dies by the effect of its last wound explodes too, using another blast marker, or in this case a Large BM.[/LIST]Now there was time for speculation. I said to my opponent that the Stinger template should be used with the normal rules for it (ie. AP = Sv, S = T), but he insisted that the original "C'Tan Bomb" be used.
    And my question: who is right? Me? Him? Or are both templates used? Or worst case scenario, none?
    Any ideas would be good!
    Also, if there is something I am overlooking here, then I would like to know, such as a rule or special rule.

Fly High!
    The C'tan does not employ a large blast marker when its necrodermis is breached. I think your friend may be confusing this event with the Gaze of Death which does indeed use this marker.

The breaching of the necrodermis causes the C'tan to explode; this affects models in a D6" radius with the strength of an assault cannon and the effect of a power weapon.

To answer your question: both effects should be employed (separately of course) - small blast marker for the Stinger and the D6" effect for the C'tan. Which is actioned first of course is another thing. As I don't have access to the Dark Eldar codex, I can't answer that.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Perhaps this thread should have been moved from the Dark Eldar board rather than cross-posted so that all the previous opinions could be considered, but anyhow……….

I was not aware that it was a D6 radius rather than the large blast template but I agree that both effects must be applied anyway.

But as to the timing thing, the stinger explosion is applied after the model is killed and as I don’t have a Necron Dex on me at the moment I can’t speak for them but it would seem that the stinger gets applied first.

But that’s just me.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Just for everyone's benefit: The D6" radius is shown on P.27 Codex Necrons:
    If it loses all its wounds, the necrodermis is breached [...] inflicts a StrX hit on every model within D6" of the C'tan with no armour save possible"

....unless the Second Printing version of the Codex states something different, of course. Mine is the first printing version.

As to which effect is applied first: I too would go with the Stinger's blast marker, then roll the dice to see if the killzone is a little greater due to the breached necrodermis. I would also hazard the suggestion that since this is the effect of two separate events, any models left alive following the Stinger attack should have to roll again against the effects of the breaching of the necrodermis. After all, this would be the procedure if firing two frag missiles on a unit.

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; November 13th, 2008 at 11:37.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Interesting. So would you work out hits from both at once and then allocate like shooting?
    This might be because both blasts are simulataneous. However it isn't a volley of shooting per say.
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

+ Reply to Thread