Sweeping Advances - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Sweeping Advances

Hello -

My friend and I were playing against each other and came into bit of a debate concerning sweeping advances.

Here is the situation, I charged his TAU firewarriors with my Bezerkers and as expected won the assult but we still had models in base to base contact. He failed his leadership test and said that he was going to fall back 2D6 then we check for sweeping advances. I on the other hand said that before he is able to fall back we must compare the Intitiative + D6 roll to see if he successfully falls back 2D6 and if he fails the unit is destroyed.

So is the order

1. TAU looses assult
    2. TAU fails leadership test
    3. TAU rolls 2D6 for fall back move and moves models away from bezerkers
    4. Bezerkers consolidate 3'
    4. Check if still in base to base contact
    5. If still in base to base contact, then check sweeping advances

OR

1. TAU looses assult
    2. TAU fails leadership test
    3. Check if still in base to base contact
    4. If still in base to base contact then check sweeping advances
    5. Compare Init +D6 rolls if TAU total higher they roll 2D6 and fall back accordingly
    If Bezerker total higher then TAU unit destroyed.

Thanks for helping clarify the sweeping advance rules.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its the second one, except I don't believe you have to still be in base contact to perform a sweeping advance. Also if you tie or beat the init. + d6 of the firewarriors you sweep them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

The relevant text is on page 40 of your rulebook.

The "base contact" requirement has been dropped in this current edition.

Note that the Sweeping Advance attempt happens before the Fall Back move is rolled, and may not be performed if engaged with another unit.

Note also on the same page that the Consolidation is not 3", but D6". This may not bring the unit in contact with anyone, even the retreating unit.
    Last edited by psichotykwyrm; November 24th, 2008 at 19:46. Reason: spelling
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Note also on the same page that the Consolidation is not 3", but D6".
    Just to also add that the D6" move is an "up to" distance, therefore what is rolled is the maximum distance you may move, but within that distance you may move whatever length of move you wish.

Also, something I happened to notice while reading through the Fall Back rules in 5th Ed: GW has finally managed to give us a definite answer concerning the difference between stating that a move is D6 inches or "up to" D6 inches. This is shown on P.45 BRB in the Fall Back! rules.

Paragraph 3 starts with the words
    Units usually fall back 2D6".
    The picture at the bottom of P.45 then demonstrates this rule by showing a Fall Back move of a 6 rolled on two dice, with the words
    ...so each model is moved 6"...
    . There is no option given for moving less.

So if the words "this is the maximum distance", or "up to X distance" (or something similar) are not included when referring to a move controlled by the roll of a dice, then the move is the full distance shown by the result of the roll. Examples would be "Fall back!" (P.45 BR, "Run" (P.16 BR, "Blast weapons scattering" (P.30 BR, and "Barrage Weapons" (P.32 BR.

Maybe everyone else already knew this, but I was pleased to find it out!

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread