Poisoned Weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poisoned Weapons

Page 42 of the rule book states that poisoned weapons ALWAYS wound on a set number. be that 2+ 3+ 4+ or 5+ (depending on the weapon)..

Also it states that if the strength of the wielder is the same or higher than the targets thoughness then failed to wound rolls may be re-rolled.

However, if you have a model with a poisoned weapon that wounds on 4+... and has a strength of say.... 6. Would you if striking a model with a low thoughness say 3, wound on a lower number? Or will you still wound on a 4+ for better (and in many cases worse) ?

It seems odd to me that a sword/claw coated in poison wielded by a strong person/alien/daemon will have a lower chance to wound low thoughness models than a normal CC weapon WITHOUT the poison.

Yes I know that logic does not usually aply to 40k rules , also my answer may be in my rules quote ".....always wounds on X+"..

Anyone else have any thoughts about this??

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

True, however even a rerollable 4+ is only a few percent behind a 2+ (75% vs. 82%), fairly neglegible, and in most cases posion weapons are wounding far better than they would normally get. In practice however, most models with poison are S4 and most of their targets are T4, so the odd case where you are actually doing worse (beating up grots I guess) makes up for it.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

grots, guard, eldar and more

the reason I ask is because my friend plays daemons, and she proxied plague bearers against my guard army. And we house ruled it so that they wounded low thoughness models on a lower roll than the poisoned weapon they have appears to allow.

Also seeing her army, I started a little nurgle army of my own. And then It became even more interesting for me to find this out.

cheers
    Last edited by Valthonis; December 30th, 2008 at 05:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Actually, S4 on T3 is normally a 67% chance, and a re-rollable 4+ is 75%, so in fact you're kinda handicapping yourself by allowing them to wound on lower numbers instead of the re-roll.

EDIT: On a side note, the Great Unclean One has a 2+ poison and S6, so he pretty much always wounds
    Last edited by Mastershake; December 30th, 2008 at 05:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I dont see why you would loose the poison re-roll when striking lower thoughness models, thus wounding on a 3+ with re-roll has to beat a 4+ with re-roll.... But this part may just be my wishfull thinking.

But what you are saying is that the cold hard fact = poisoned weapons can never wound on a lower number than stated in the weapon profile?

Just good to know, so im playing it right

With epidemus im hoping to wound on 2+ at turn 2 anyways

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

479 (x8)

Yeah, the poison weapon rules are only a set number, it never changes, you just get a re-roll.

+ Reply to Thread