Assault on Black Reach Rulebook - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assault on Black Reach Rulebook

I played 3rd Edition back in the olden days(none of these newfangled Dark Eldar, Tau, or Necrons). I have bought a Space Marines codex and am a bit lost with the rules changes. Since my only potential opponents are whatever middle schoolers want to teach me a terrible lesson at the local Games Workshop store, I don't think I need the full 5th Edition box of templates and dice and such. Is the rulebook in the Assault on Black Reach set sufficient to teach me the basics of 5th Edition? The Black Reach set costs only $10 more than the Rulebook according to the GW website, but I get a Dreadnought and some tactical space marines that don't all look exactly the same. That'd be nice I think. Do I really need to read the full rulebook to know what's going on or what?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

The AoBR mini-book contains ALL of the rules. You don't get much in the way of the campaign, painting, and modelling sections, but all of the core rules are there and intact.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great. Now I just need to find somebody who wants to pay me 20 bucks for all the orks in that set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, pretty much.
    I gave mine to a neighbor for a christmas present along with some brushes and hot pink paint...

You can figure out the rest from there xD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy0341 View Post
    Great. Now I just need to find somebody who wants to pay me 20 bucks for all the orks in that set.
    Or better yet, find an Ork player and swap your unwanted Orks for their unwanted Marines! All the rules, double the models!
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more question/clarification. How does wargear work now? I'm talking about the little cards with special items(like a vortex grenade or whatever...not a plain plasma pistol). Is it still in the game? If it is, will I get a list of them or the little cards with the Black Reach set?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy0341 View Post
    One more question/clarification. How does wargear work now? I'm talking about the little cards with special items(like a vortex grenade or whatever...not a plain plasma pistol). Is it still in the game? If it is, will I get a list of them or the little cards with the Black Reach set?
    Beyond the AoBR book and models, you should still pick up the codex for the army you are going to play. Sounds like Space Marines in your case. All wargear, model stats, and rules are contained in the codex. When I first started playing I copied down some of the more confusing rules on to my army list so I wouldn't have to flip through the codex.

Although, I do believe that the stats for the models contained in the Black Reach set are included in a supplement in the box set.

EDIT: The card thing is no longer there. You purchase wargear and your model gets it for good. Occasionally you get a single use item (like the plasma portion of a combi-plasma gun). But for the most part every thing is persistent through out the game. Vortex grenades have been relegated to the Apocalypse expansion.
    Last edited by magnet_man; January 4th, 2009 at 15:16.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so it's WYSIWYG. Before you never knew if that Ork Warboss was just some guy with decent stats, a chainsword, and flak armor or if he had a force shield(extra 4+ unmodifiable save), a vortex grenade(like a frag grenade except it killed everyone automatically), and the Holy Grail(restores the dead and cures wounds but you cannot cross the seal). It was a decent way to help add value so a smaller collection of models could fight a larger one, but I think it tended to make individual characters too strong.