Ruins, cover and LOS - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ruins, cover and LOS

With the new rules of if you can see one model in a squad you can kill tho whole squad rule mixed with only models that have line of sight can shoot and then mix in a ruin(building) do things seem very strange.

I know this a very poorely writtten sentence but just hear me out.

I have 10 guys in a ruin only one can see out a window to shooot so only he can shoot. The enemy can see that one guy so he can shoot and kill all 10 of mine. What if any advantage or reason is there to ever go into a ruin. Is there something i missread here? Can all my dudes shoot out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Even if only a single leg is visible, though they will get a cover save. (BRB p22)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbastion
    ...Is there something i missread here? Can all my dudes shoot out?...
    Each model which has LOS can fire (BRB p16 "Which models can fire?")
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i guess we are playing the rules right, however it makes it seem as though there are more down sides than up to going in a building. This didnt come up much untill my friend bought the big city fight building set. I guess we might have to set up the baord to almost force people to go inside building, because as of right now i just walk around them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ruins are tuff to navigate threw as they are area terrain.
    Just imagine they're like a forest that you can climb .
    Real buildings are pretty much simplified only one unit per building.
    Then shooting from there just depends on the firing ports.
    "When Blood Speaks, Shadows Answer."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

You just have to make sure your models can shoot out of their cover if you want to use it. However, everyone I've played with has been agreeable to +1 to the cover save when only a tiny part of the unit is visible as long as they can get the same benefit in return. It sort of goes hand in hand with the -1 to cover if 50% obscured is questionable.

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbastion View Post
    Well i guess we are playing the rules right, however it makes it seem as though there are more down sides than up to going in a building. This didnt come up much untill my friend bought the big city fight building set. I guess we might have to set up the baord to almost force people to go inside building, because as of right now i just walk around them.

Pros and Cons for using a ruin/building for cover highly depends on which units are entering cover, and what's firing at them.

Example 1: A unit of guardsmen enter a ruined building to gain a cover save that is better than their regular armor save. taking fire from high AP weaponry.(pro)

Example 2: A unit of Space Marines enter a forest with a unit of guardsmen about to fire on them is indeed gaining a cover save, however this would be worse than their regular armor save and possible limiting the ability of the marines firing back (neutral - con)

Example 3: A unit of Space Marines moves, runs into a piece of Area Terrain (ruins), as a Leman Russ turns a corner and is now able fire at them with the Battle Cannon. A hit on this unit in the open would instantly kill any marine the blast template was covering, while inside the ruins the unit of Space Marines are granted a decent cover save. (~50% would survive. (very large PRO)

In short, cover is indeed much better than being in the open if you have high armor saves, or if Low AP weaponry is aimed at you. Even with balancing the fact that some of your models would not be able to fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbastion View Post
    I'm going to guess you play space marines. I play nids, I love ruins. 4+ cover save all around when the majority of my models don't get a save from the oh so common bolter.

For MEQ's, ruins can be difficult to play with. They often seem to get in the way, epically for mobile army types. But you can use them to your advantage. Expecting a charge? jump into a building and hope the other unit doesn't have frags or rolls poorly for difficult terrain.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Ah, the strategy of firing-ports/windows/holes in walls etc..

Either get down low and out of sight, Or..

Fill 'em with your guns, ready to scythe down any who crosses in front of them.

However, the power armor lessens the strategic value of fighting from within ruins somewhat.

Guard, or tau, however, will gleefully hunker down and dig in like ticks.

can't say much about cities of death and such, except: Pack flamers!

+ Reply to Thread