IG Apocalypse Organization - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG Apocalypse Organization

Hi there, just picked up my apocalypse book the other day and I was wondering if there is some way that your army (in this case IG) has to be arranged? In the basic rules it says there is no force organization chart at all. But in the IG section of the rulebook there are examples of how to organize your army. Would this be just something fluff related, or is it someone that you must do to play?

Sorry for the silly question.
    -X

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Certain "formations" from Apoc give you benefits, i.e. Leman Russ Squadrons, but there really isn't anything you have to use or can't use. Part of the reason why Apoc is generally a poor format for competitive games as this lack of limitations can result in some hideous armies.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hideous in what respect? Overpowered I assume? Or just poorly designed and thought through?

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Apocalypse is all about giving you an excuse to bring every painted model you own to one huge game. It is GLORIOUS!

There are guidelines for making battles into story-driven epics and suggestions about who should ally with who, but that is about it.

Apoc has no FOC. That being said, you should try to keep things fair. I had some friends plan to play against my guard by taking Nurgle with Epidemus and Plague Marines (Yes, they benefit). They were saddened to realize I brought ten Leman Russes and my Baneblade instead of my usual all-infantry list.

Mean of me... yes, but we had a good laugh as their metagaming fell a tad flat.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I see. Thank you.
    One final question: Are you able to use Apoc models (such as the Baneblade) In non Apoc games, with the consent of your oponent? Or would they simply be too game swaying?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried this one, using the apoc rules for the baneblade and counting it as three heavy support slots on the FOC, it still killed the entire marine army at 1500 pts.

However, there is the option of using the forgeworld Imperial Armour books. These rules are not as powerful, and can be used in a standard game (with opponents permission).

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Xaos778 View Post
    Hideous in what respect? Overpowered I assume? Or just poorly designed and thought through?
    Ever seen 10,000 points worth of Leman Russ battle tanks? In one place? At one time? With ALL WEAPONS AIMED SQUARELY AT YOU?!? Oh yeah, add in a few Baneblades for good measure!

...Yeah, it's that sort of hideous. Option 2 features as well, but that's really the most terrifying aspect. It's actually happened to my opponents before - I had one of the baneblades and several thousand points of Marines to go with it. The slaughter was EPIC.

And as for the Baneblade in normal games with a consenting opponent? Sure! Heck, you could use a bowling ball if your opponent lets you - stats and usage entirely up to you on that one, though.

The Baneblade's not really that game-breaking, but it helps to assign it a higher points value. I recently tried out a 5th edition re-write of a local Tournament scenario called "Sink the Baneblade", featuring a rogue Baneblade with its full Apocalypse stats running amok in between two 1500 point armies in a Kill points mission, and it dominated the battle without overpowering it - just as planned. The Baneblade eventually died after racking up 4 KP's itself, and the opposing armies were still quite capable of duking it out at the same time. It's a good thing, too - we were worried that the BB was going to beat our KP scores and we'd both lose the game!
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Ever seen 10,000 points worth of Leman Russ battle tanks? In one place? At one time? With ALL WEAPONS AIMED SQUARELY AT YOU?!? Oh yeah, add in a few Baneblades for good measure!

...Yeah, it's that sort of hideous. Option 2 features as well, but that's really the most terrifying aspect. It's actually happened to my opponents before - I had one of the baneblades and several thousand points of Marines to go with it. The slaughter was EPIC.

And as for the Baneblade in normal games with a consenting opponent? Sure! Heck, you could use a bowling ball if your opponent lets you - stats and usage entirely up to you on that one, though.

The Baneblade's not really that game-breaking, but it helps to assign it a higher points value. I recently tried out a 5th edition re-write of a local Tournament scenario called "Sink the Baneblade", featuring a rogue Baneblade with its full Apocalypse stats running amok in between two 1500 point armies in a Kill points mission, and it dominated the battle without overpowering it - just as planned. The Baneblade eventually died after racking up 4 KP's itself, and the opposing armies were still quite capable of duking it out at the same time. It's a good thing, too - we were worried that the BB was going to beat our KP scores and we'd both lose the game!
    Haha, I see your point. I see people get scared when I point 3 Russ' at them, let alone 10,000 points of them >.>

Also, I'm a fan of this bowling ball idea. Where can I get a data sheet for one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bowling ball
    750 points
    BS FA SA RA Sp
    1 14 14 14 10

Super-heavy fast vehicle
    Barreling: all tank shocks made by this vehicle automaticly cause 2d6 wounds
    in addition all ramming attacks made by this vehicle count as Strength D
    The Fire Warrior wanted to know what colours our Imperial Toaster Oven would come in?

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xaos778 View Post
    Ah, I see. Thank you.
    One final question: Are you able to use Apoc models (such as the Baneblade) In non Apoc games, with the consent of your oponent? Or would they simply be too game swaying?
    Using the Apocalypse rules for a Baneblade in regular 40K would be unworkable. Forgeworld publishes a series of books called Imperial Armor that have rules meant for using super heavy vehicles inside the regular 40K ruleset.

+ Reply to Thread