Shooting a monstrous creature - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooting a monstrous creature

I know that in the 4th edition you could shoot at MC when they were in CC and I was wondering if it still applied in 5th since I haven't found any entries on it after a thorough search of the rulebook.

Also I was wondering if the answer to Q1 would be yes then would the MC gain cover save only if the normal units would be in between the shooter and the MC and would need to cover him up to 50%, or it would always gain cover save since it'd be in CC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

MCs don't seem to have any rule that states they are a legal target while locked in combat, so the rules on BRB pg. 16 still apply.

ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

It boggles my mind as to why you can't fire into close combat. All you would have to do is to reroll all shots that hit and on a 4+ they hit their target. On a 3- they hit your own unit. I think they stated that no commander would willingly shoot at their own troops, but you the person playing is the "Commander". I say use that as a house rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ZMB View Post
    It boggles my mind as to why you can't fire into close combat. All you would have to do is to reroll all shots that hit and on a 4+ they hit their target. On a 3- they hit your own unit. I think they stated that no commander would willingly shoot at their own troops, but you the person playing is the "Commander". I say use that as a house rule.
    Well, fluff wise, only a few armies wouldn't be willing to shoot at their own guys - I think it'd come down to Marines, Eldar, and Tau. Everyone else just flat out wouldn't care, because they don't acknowledge death, self-repair, jump into the warp, flat out not care about Conscript Jimmy, etc...heck, Chaos ENCOURAGES beating up and killing your own guys.

That said, the 50/50 split makes no sense as a rule. Example, shooting into a combat between one terminator and 10 hormagaunts - well, you SHOULD be far more likely to hit the gaunts, but the Termie's gonna get mowed down by his own guys under a 50/50 split rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok ... thats what i thought about the shooting in close combat... but can one of u guys tell me where i can get the target priority rules, like can i shoot the monstrous creature behind another troop and stuff like that.. looked in rule book a while but cant seem to find it... just restarted playing 40k.. so maybe thats why im having hard time with new rule book.. so u guys let me know...

ty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

I'm kind of wondering where you got the idea that you could shoot at MCs in CC in 4th. A combat's a combat, no matter the unit's special rules (only thing you can shoot at in a "close combat" is a vehicle without a weapon skill because it cannot be locked in close combat). There are simply so many game mechanics that would make shooting into a close combat a headache (who gets to allocate hits, which guys get hit first, etc) that this idea isn't viable, not to mention the immorality of the act. IG commanders may not care about mr John Doe Guardsmen, but you tell a Guardsman to shoot at another Guardsman who is fighting for his life, and you'll get insurrection. Soon your own units will be infighting whilst the enemy plows through your disorganized force. To use an outside example, if you've seen the Dark Knight, you'll remember the bomb dilemma on the ferries. Even though one man was willing (theoretically) to blow up a boat full of people, he couldn't bring himself to do it for any number of morality issues. You may be perfectly willing to sacrifice your own troops, but your own troops are not. Throw in that they'll be shooting their friends literally in the back, the enemy troops would probably have time to duck out of the way as you mowed down your unsuspecting compatriots.

Just because a general can lead an army to destruction does not mean that he should.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by pilsboy View Post
    ok ... thats what i thought about the shooting in close combat... but can one of u guys tell me where i can get the target priority rules, like can i shoot the monstrous creature behind another troop and stuff like that.. looked in rule book a while but cant seem to find it... just restarted playing 40k.. so maybe thats why im having hard time with new rule book.. so u guys let me know...

ty
    Well that's an easy one, there's no such thing as target priority anymore unless you're Black Templar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh really? so if a daemon(MC) is 3 inch away from me and another troop 7 inch away.. if i want to shoot the troop that's 7 inch away i don't have to take any test ???same if i wanted to shoot a daemon (MC) that behind a troop??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x0)

That's correct. There are no more leadership tests for target priority, if something is in range and line of sight you can shoot it regardless of if anything is closer.

+ Reply to Thread