What are the 'legal' rule sources? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the 'legal' rule sources?

I have always been a bit hazy on what the 'legal' rule set is for any of the Games Workshop games.

5ed. Rulebook
    Well that one is pretty obvious.

Codex
    How recent does a codex need to be to count as 'legal'?

Clearly, the most recent edition takes precedence, but what about armies that haven't been updated since 3rd ed? Do these armies technically exist anymore? What about any codex that is in White Dwarf?

White Dwarf
    Are these rules 'legal', or are they just for the fun of it?

Units or even whole armies with their codex in White Dwarf seem to have a lot of questions/discussion about them around the forums, but I have never really considered White Dwarf to be an official source of rules information or content.

Online Sources
    On the GW website there are the FAQs/Erratas which I consider to be legal (as they are official clarifications on the official printed materials).

What about special characters (such as the named MC's for the 'Nids) that are on the website? Are these legal to play in games?

------------------------

I understand that pretty much everything could fall under the 'it is legal if you ask your opponent and they allow it' category. I was more concerned for what the 'official' standing would be without needing to ask special permissions. While I don't play tournaments yet, I suppose any tournament definition of army-list legality would be what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance!

T'oog Spiderbutt, The Useless:

Who nearly survived a tussle for some cave.
    Who almost killed something in that creepy forest.
    Who briefly considered holding his ground during that battle on those plains...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by T'oog Spiderbutt View Post

5ed. Rulebook
    Well that one is pretty obvious.

Codex
    How recent does a codex need to be to count as 'legal'?

Clearly, the most recent edition takes precedence, but what about armies that haven't been updated since 3rd ed? Do these armies technically exist anymore? What about any codex that is in White Dwarf?
    Their codices are still legal--and seperate from each other. Sometimes their age is a benefit (such as DE and their multiple special/heavy weapons per squad), but mostly it is not (such as IG and kill points).

White Dwarf
    Are these rules 'legal', or are they just for the fun of it?

Units or even whole armies with their codex in White Dwarf seem to have a lot of questions/discussion about them around the forums, but I have never really considered White Dwarf to be an official source of rules information or content.
    Generally, no, the rules in White Dwarf are usually not 'legal'. If they are, in the case of the BA codex, it will most likely appear on another medium, such as the GW website. If they were legal, people would play movie marines and nothing else. As such, they only play regular smurfs and nothing else.

Online Sources
    On the GW website there are the FAQs/Erratas which I consider to be legal (as they are official clarifications on the official printed materials).

What about special characters (such as the named MC's for the 'Nids) that are on the website? Are these legal to play in games?
    The FAQs and various errata are legal. Sometimes it's generally a stupid rule, but most of the time it's a clear statement to some of the codex's ambiguity.

Using the named MC's for the Tyranids for an example, I would not say they're legal. They're from the 3rd edition codex, and using them would give too much of an advantage (Old One Eye is cheaper and much better than a regenerating carnifex equivalent). On the other hand, it would be rather simple to hammer out the rules for the new critters, and most people won't throw a fit if you play them in a for fun environment.

I understand that pretty much everything could fall under the 'it is legal if you ask your opponent and they allow it' category. I was more concerned for what the 'official' standing would be without needing to ask special permissions. While I don't play tournaments yet, I suppose any tournament definition of army-list legality would be what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance!
    Tournaments usually have their own legaliese that you need to follow, and you clearly need to follow those guidelines if you wish to play.

In general, all you need are the rulebook, the codex, and any errata on the subject. The newer publication takes precedant over the older one (such as the GK codex force weapons now inflicting instant death). Anything else anyone tries to pull up, like Forgeworld rules, requires your approval.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

The 'official' rules as played by Warhammer World, GTs, etc, are only those rules that can be bought in a printed book off the shelf in a GW store and the accompanying Errata & FAQ from the web site. (Plus Codex Blood Angles of course.)

Some times strange stuff is added. For some reason GW US specifically allowed Witch Hunter Zealots from WD292 in, but nothing else. Why that particular set of WD rules and nothing else? Who knows. But again, simple answer, if you can't buy it off the shelf in a printed and bound book, assume you should ask permission before bringing it to any organised event.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Heh heh! I would looove to see someone trying to get permission to play Movie Marines! http://www.richyp.com/Documents/MovieMarines.pdf for anyone who doesn't know who these guys are.

As InquisitorAffe et al has already said though: it has to be in print on an official GW product, whether on the website's Errata page or else in Codices/BRB (Codex BA excepted, of course).

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

Is it wrong to like the Movie Marines a lot more than the official ones?

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x1)

Hey,

any codex that is in White Dwarf?
    Anything not printed in an official RB or dex is a House Rule -

Dak Errata/ Yak FAQ? HR. BA PDF? HR. CA from WD#1? HR. Why?
    Anyone with Photoshop could counterfeit all these in their basement.
    RBs and dexes, being on the shelves where you play, are tough to fake.

what the 'official' standing would be without needing to ask special permissions
    The events with the strictest rules are tournaments, and they, ironically, can break any rule at whim.
    Elsewhere, it's pretty simple - both players use the same RB, any ed, and each has a bound dex.
    As most games are played in places of business, these are commonly the newest versions.

Playa

+ Reply to Thread