Walkers and forest cover - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walkers and forest cover

I've had a running debate about forest cover with the guy I play with. We've settled on a house rule, but I want to know what you think.

The core rule book uses strict line of sight when targeting vehicles. If half the vehicle is obscured, it gets a cover save. My problem comes when vehicles, specifically my dreadnoughts, are in a forest. They're allowed to move through difficult terrain like infantry, so I thought to plant one on a forested hill for the cover save. Since we only modeled three trees on the hill, the dread was completely visible. Hence, no save.

Here's my beef with that rule. More than any other type of scenery, forests are impossible to model accurately. You simply can't drop a piece of terrain on the table with so many trees on it that models don't fit. Moving trees around or taking them out is a recipe for a nonstop argument over where the trees originally were when they need to be replaced. I think that we have to assume some level of cover when a vehicle is shooting through or into a forest, even if one of the four trees on the actual piece of scenery is not in the way. I think I'm stuck with the rules as written, however.

Incidentally, our likely house rule will be to give vehicles a 5+ cover based on forested terrain. They certainly can't hide like infantry could, but would be a bit obscured. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

If you have an area considered "forested terrain" then the model is completely in what the game describes as Area Terrain, and would be granted the cover save for that type of area terrain (pg 13)

now pg 62, states, "Vehicles are not obscured simply for being in area terrain..." and the 50% rule applies.

My friends and I have decent scenery, but with forrests we just circle an area with trees, so models are more easily movable in and through.

Large tanks would typically not get a cover save, regular tanks and transports maybe a 6. But a walker, we give a 5+ (for a light forest). As from the size of our trees would easily mask 50% of the side the firing unit was firing at. But we have also two types of forests, light and dense, providing different cover save values.

+ Reply to Thread