Powerfists and 'turning off' - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Powerfists and 'turning off'

So today a berzerker champion with a powerfist decided to strike at his normal initiative (probably because he already failed a save--simultaneous combat). I'm fairly sure no one can 'turn off' a powerfist or equivalent weapon anymore.

Does anyone have a page number or something for this rule for the big rule book?

"Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Page 42, bottom right:

All of their attacks, including the bonus attack, benefit from the special weapon's bonuses.
    So the only way for a Power Fisted model to strike at regular Initiative would be if they also had a second special weapon such as a Power Weapon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, if the berzerker had say a Powerfist and Boltpistol would they be able to turn off the powerfist because under "Normal Close Combat Weapons" it says pistols count as normal close combat weapons?

Or would they have to do something...that I expect no one will do..or really can do and thats take an additional special CC weapon (ie powerweapon).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

No.

The second weapon has to be a "special" type. For example;

A character with powerweapon and powerfist can chose to use either in combat. But a character with CCW and powerfist, must use the fist.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After looking back over 4e and 5e I understand now .

I've always been a little bit behind on the special close combat weapons rules because I mostly played Tyranids in 4e and only really worried about rending.

I'm happy this rule came up and understand the reasoning for why you can't turn off powerfists.

It was explicitly stated in 4e that you could and in the 5e rulebook doesn't say anything until the "two different special weapons" section about using a different weapon and it specifies you can only use different Special Close Combat Weapons.

Pretty happy that I'll be able to challenge this if it comes up usually I just blush and accept whatever rules my opponent sees fitting..

Thanks for the Clarification!

(and on a side note I didn't mean anything smart/arrogant by saying that it would be unexpected to see an opposing model with both a powerfist and second special CC weapon, sorry if I came off like a bit of a jerk).
    Last edited by Enjoi_Tyranids; February 19th, 2009 at 04:14.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

5E is actually so good as to explicitly say you *can't*, it's just on a different page. p35, 3rd paragraph. All models always use all attacks and always use any special weapons they have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitorAffe View Post
    5E is actually so good as to explicitly say you *can't*, it's just on a different page. p35, 3rd paragraph. All models always use all attacks and always use any special weapons they have.
    Very True!

I skipped right over that to the close combat weapons section.

I wish they would have put something like have to... rather than will...but I'm just being picky now..

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Atma View Post
    So today a berzerker champion with a powerfist decided to strike at his normal initiative (probably because he already failed a save--simultaneous combat). I'm fairly sure no one can 'turn off' a powerfist or equivalent weapon anymore.

Does anyone have a page number or something for this rule for the big rule book?
    Aside from the fact that he must swing with the power fist for the reasons mentioned above, it's also a bit ... lame I guess is the right word? to wait and see what your opponent does with his attacks before deciding what you're going to do when your decision is to attack simultaneously or not.

"So, we can either swing at the same time or I can swing after you with a super smash... so go ahead and attack me so that I can see how things are gonna go. Oh, you didn't kill me, here's my super smash... or wait, no, you did kill me, fooled you, I actually decided to swing simul."

Yea, BS on both counts.

+ Reply to Thread