Apoc question: Shooting at Fliers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Apoc question: Shooting at Fliers

Page refs:
    Apocalypse Rulebook: P.94, specifically paragraph 4
    BRB: P.71 "Shooting at Skimmers" paragraph 1

According to the Apoc rulebook, all fliers follow the rules for Skimmer moving >12", so all Penetrating hits downgrade to Glancing. This was known as the "Skimmer Moving Fast" rule, which no longer exists in the same form.

According to 5th Ed rulebook, all Skimmers that move >12" gain a Cover Save which can ignore the shot completely, but does nothing to downgrade penetrating hits if the cover save is failed.

Question:
    Since the Apoc rulebook was written in 4th Ed days, what way should this ruling re shooting at fliers be interpreted now? Should it be:

a) stay "as written", which will make shooting down a flier very difficult due to the modifier for glancing hits since we no longer have a separate Glancing Hits table, or

b) go with the new rules (as everything else does in Apoc games, yes?) and make fliers comparatively easy to shoot down due to their low armour value added to no modifier with a penetrating hit?

Your input would be greatly appreciated, as there is a 30k-a-side battle happening this weekend which will involve around 20 fliers.

Thanks in advance,

E.

"Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Option C -
    Use 4th Ed rules for the entire game.

It just may be easier all round.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x0)

The way I play it, and I've never had a problem getting acceptance from the other players is to use option A. The rule specifically spells out that fliers can only be glanced, to me and the people I play it's easier and more sensible to play it as written. It only becomes a problem if someone tries to claim the benefit of SMF and the 4+ cover, but the solution to that is Dreadsock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x1)

I'm afraid I don't have a copy of the Apoc book, so I'd have to see what it says - but if it spells out the SMF rule, I'd follow that one.

That said, both 4th and 5th kills skimmers if you're immobilized at a speed where either of these rules matters. (4th being all the time, and 5th being at a Flat Out speed.) So, the glancing table is less of a detriment - rolling a 6 on a glance should still kill the flier outright.

My memory is fuzzy, don't guns with the AA rule ignore this? Also, doesn't Apoc have it's own damage charts for Apoc-level vehicles?
    Last edited by SMann233; February 24th, 2009 at 03:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x0)

The AA guns allow you to hit on your normal BS as opposed to needing 6's, it still only glances though. As for the alternate damage tables, those are for super-heavy vehicles only, so unless you're talking Manta or Thunderhawk you just use the regular vehicle damage chart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

I would treat the Apocalypse book just like a Codex (or another supplement). Even though it's older, it overrides the usual rules for the game. So skimmers would only receive glancing hits while moving fast.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

To use that SMF rule for the Skimmers would be phenomenal! We are fielding 57 of them in various guises in the 30k Tau army for next week-end's big battle against the Imperium.

It seems that the consensus is to use "Glancing Hits only" on fliers. That makes sense when applied to RL, so we shall go with that.

Thank you all for your help.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread