Wrecks and their models. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Wrecks and their models.

Hi,
    Just trying to gather player’s thoughts on the rules for ‘Wrecks’ found on page 62 BGB.

I am modelling some old smashed up vehicles as wrecks to replace the original model when it is deemed to be ‘Wrecked.’

Now, would it be acceptable to use said ‘Wreck’ to represent an ‘Explodes’ result? I intend to include a small base under the wreck to show ‘scattered wreckage’ that is only of use with this result and ignored otherwise.
    [Line of sight could be an issue.]

Tournament experiences would be most useful here!

Thanks in advance.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

Hey bud. The "Destroyed - Wrecked" result should ideally be a wrecked version of the exact model that was destroyed. It should still have the same effect on Line of Sight, for instance. I would suggest you make representations for your own vehicles (and maybe your friends' too if you're generous ), and then have others use their own vehicle models as wrecks.

"Destroyed - Explodes" removes the vehicle, so you've got more freedom with your models in that case. It might actually be useful to have large pieces of debris (even smoke) that could offer cover for models. That's certainly a lot better than just putting a small crater down where a vehicle used to be.

I like the idea!

--•-My 40K projects-•--

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

It would be frustrating for a shooty army to "explode" an enemy vehicle and have the crater still block LoS to a large degree. Especially if something was hiding behind the vehicle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x6)

It sure would, but I've got two points you ought to consider...

1. Nothing in the book says that exploding a vehicle should clear up any lines of sight.
    2. Realistically, if a vehicle did explode, it would not simply disappear. There would be lots of debris & smoke still obscuring the view (this goes both ways).

From a gameplay perspective, I know that some people are used to getting away with that strategy, moob. So to be thoughtful, I would probably ask about it beforehand. As long as the debris itself is not larger than the vehicle, it shouldn't be an issue though.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Hm, IIRC, the explodes result says to replace the vehicle with a "crater", no? That implies that the LoS will be significantly less impeded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x6)

It says scattered wreckage or a crater, which implies it could be either way. Craters offer obscurement in 5th edition regardless (just depends on how deep or tall it is), so I'm not sure if that matters.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

The only problem I see is the "modelling for advantage" implications.

Since there isn't a standard crater or debris model, people can get quite silly with what they put down.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For wrecks, I made models that were the same footprint and height. Bam. No complaints ever, also makes it easier on your opponent to tell what he has killed.

Explodes is a crater the size of the vehicle footprint. The rules spell it out clearly. A crater doesn't block LOS (hence why you remove the model). However, infantry get a 4+ from being in it.

Mostly when took my wreck models to tourneys (4th ed, where stuff got blown up a lot less) people liked it. So, most likely they still would. My wreck models won me best army a few times.
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    The only problem I see is the "modelling for advantage" implications.

Since there isn't a standard crater or debris model, people can get quite silly with what they put down.
    There is a standard crater available from GW, they come in packs of 5, don't block LOS (page 233 top pic) and this is what I was using previously.
    Its just that it seemed so nondescript.

But yes the LOS was always going to be an issue whan using an actual vehicle.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Wicky; March 3rd, 2009 at 04:11.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread