Firing heavy weapons from transports? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firing heavy weapons from transports?

Can infantry equipped with heavy weapons shoot from the fire points on a transport?
    For example, if I have a Devastator Squad with two lascannons could they both shoot from within a stationary rhino? I seem to recall someone saying how ridiculous it would be to fire missile launchers from fire points, but I can't find anything is 5e rules prohibiting it.

(sorry if this has been covered before... I couldn't find it in search)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I'm 99% sure they can as long as the vehicle is stationary. I haven't seen anything that says they can't.
    My blog - http://wingsofsanguinius.blogspot.com
    Been here nearly 10 years and still haven't managed 500 posts.

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Yes from a stationary Rhino, you would fire 2 heavy weapons from the Dev unit inside, both Devastator Marines would have to fire at the same target. The Rhino could fire at a separate target, if equipped with a weapon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by hakoMike View Post
    Can infantry equipped with heavy weapons shoot from the fire points on a transport?
    For example, if I have a Devastator Squad with two lascannons could they both shoot from within a stationary rhino? I seem to recall someone saying how ridiculous it would be to fire missile launchers from fire points, but I can't find anything is 5e rules prohibiting it.

(sorry if this has been covered before... I couldn't find it in search)
    The only restriction on these man portable weapons is that if you move you may not fire (page 29 BGB.)

And under ‘Fire Points’ (page 66) it tells me that “Models firing from a vehicle count as moving if the vehicle moves…...”

These are the only restrictions stated to the otherwise general allowance to fire, if the vehicle remained stationary during the turn then they may fire any 2 weapons of choice.

Exactly how is it ridiculous to fire a missile launcher from a Fire Point when this is what they are for? It is a point to fire from isn't it?
    Last edited by Wicky; March 5th, 2009 at 22:21.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I dunno, have you ever seen a recoilless rifle fired? The mental image of a marine shooting his rocket launcher out the door of a Rhino and turning around to see all his Battle Brothers in their freshly painted and polished armor now pitted and scorched black, thumping the butts of their bolters methodically on upraised palms as the Sergeant reaches for the Blessed Adamantium Paddle of His Holy and Righteous Barracks Shenanigans with Emergency Ork Removal Option. Pretty ridiculous What if they'd been Inquisitorial Storm Troopers!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Well assuming that the weapon was fired from an open hatch, both the front and the rear of the barrel would be entirely outside of the vehicle and no blowback would be present inside the vehicle at all.

That’s how I would model it and see it envisaged in the game.

But for the sake of hilarity I did Utube this and saw some horrific results that happen when recoil does indeed happen due to poor maintenance or incompetent handling of the weapon.

The results are ………. spectacular to say the least!
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Question is, why would the rest of the squad be 'above the top'? Wouldn't they have stayed sensibly in the troop compartment out of the backwash and also out of LOS to all enemy fire which is bound to be directed at the guy who's poked his upper body out of the top of the tank in order to fire the launcher?

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Question.

If the vehicle was stationary and then smokes, would the marines still be able to fire their heavies? What about if the vehicle was stationary and then shaken or stunned?

In 4th edition they couldn't, but in 5th it doesn't say. Therefore, can we assume 'yes' in both instances?
    Last edited by jy2; March 6th, 2009 at 03:16.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Question.

If the vehicle was stationary and then smokes, would the marines still be able to fire their heavies? What about if the vehicle was stationary and then shaken or stunned?

In 4th edition they couldn't, but in 5th it doesn't say. Therefore, can we assume 'yes' in both instances?
    Smoke is a vehicle upgrade here and does not effect the passengers in any way and I don’t see that 4th Ed had anything about denying the passengers anything either.

Cheers.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Ok...now that I looked over my 4th rulebook again, it doesn't mention about passengers not being able to fire through smoke, but it is pretty clear that they can't fire if the vehicle is shaken/stunned (p.67).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast