Newb Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newb Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newb Questions

Hello everyone,

Please forgive my newbishness (newbosity?) but I have a few basic questions:

For shooting, if you can only see a part of one model of a unit can you still shoot at that unit? I'm looking for degrees here to get a feel of what is intended by the rules.

Also for shooting, can you ignore models from the same unit as the firing model when determining line of sight/cover (I think the rulebook says so) and further can you shoot through other units whether friendly or unfriendly (I'm sure this grants a cover save to the targets but I'm making sure of the rules here).

Terminators can run right? (they can't make sweeping advances so I had this idea they couldn't run but that's not the case, right?)

Are elevations supposed to count as difficult terrain for going up/down them? Say you have a sloping hill, should it be difficult terrain? I'm guessing this will be one of those situations you just decide with the people you're playing with...

I'm sure I'm forgetting others. Thanks for your time in responding.

Eric.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

1. Yes, you can shoot at any target unit as long as you can see a single body part or any part of the hull. What is not allowed is if you can only see decorative parts or weapons on the models (guns, banners, swords, etc.) - p 16, 3rd paragraph.

2. Yes, models in the same unit are thought to make way for their buddies' shots. - p 16, Own Unit.

3. Right, they can run. It's a little strange because slow & purposeful units can end up going a lot faster than normal units based on the roll, but that's just the way it is!

4. Right again! Most players I know count waist-high or lower as easily passable, while anything up to about 3" is difficult. Anything higher than 3" is impassable in that case. These are just house rules, so go ahead and decide how you want to do it differently.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by guindone View Post
    Please forgive my newbishness (newbosity?)
    I believe the proper term is "nubbery", but that's beside the point... :p

For shooting, if you can only see a part of one model of a unit can you still shoot at that unit? I'm looking for degrees here to get a feel of what is intended by the rules.
    Yes, but remember that you determine who can shoot on a per-model basis. So any individual model that can see and has range to at least one individual enemy model in the target unit can shoot.

Also for shooting, can you ignore models from the same unit as the firing model when determining line of sight/cover (I think the rulebook says so) and further can you shoot through other units whether friendly or unfriendly (I'm sure this grants a cover save to the targets but I'm making sure of the rules here).
    Correct. You ignore your own unit for LoS purposes, but nobody else. You can fire through other units - as long as you can physically see your target still, whether between the individual models of a unit or between legs and such... and yes, you'll be granting a cover save at that point (well, most likely - vehicles and monstrous creatures have their own rules for cover saves that should be read over a few times).

Terminators can run right? (they can't make sweeping advances so I had this idea they couldn't run but that's not the case, right?)
    They can, correct. There are a few specific things that cannot run as a general rule (jetbikes, non-walker vehicles), but terminators aren't one of them.

Are elevations supposed to count as difficult terrain for going up/down them? Say you have a sloping hill, should it be difficult terrain? I'm guessing this will be one of those situations you just decide with the people you're playing with...
    This one varies, and is open to how you and your opponent want to play it. There's no definitive rule as to what exactly classifies difficult terrain.. basically look at things and if it looks difficult, it probably should be. Sloping hills are often not considered difficult, but it can vary based on how steep the slope is.

So yea, not very nubbish - you were pretty spot on in your thinking.

*edit* Doh, beaten to it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the answers guys. I just wanted to make sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

Too quick for ya' moob!

As a personal note, I've always found making any kind of smooth slope (like the sides of a hill) difficult terrain only slows the game down and makes it slightly less fun. It is also really annoying when something like that causes jump infantry, bikes, skimmers, and deep striking models to take dangerous terrain tests. In the case of bikes, it could even prevent them from turbo boosting across the hill!

--•-My 40K projects-•--

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

It certainly helps to use a bit of common sense when deciding what is difficult terrain and what isn't, and pre-game discussions are always a good idea.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread