Newbie Firing Into Assault Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Firing Into Assault Question

In an assault with 1 large squad (30 ork boys) against 1 smaller squad (10 tac marines) if only the first 10 boys were actually in base contact with my tac squad can I fire at the back half of the ork squad? Like 20 boys that are quite a bit farther away? I had a dreadnought with a flamer and he let me use the flamer template on the guys in the back as long as I didn't touch any models in base contact, but I just wanted to see if this was actually legal or not.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by killerbunny View Post
    In an assault with 1 large squad (30 ork boys) against 1 smaller squad (10 tac marines) if only the first 10 boys were actually in base contact with my tac squad can I fire at the back half of the ork squad? Like 20 boys that are quite a bit farther away? I had a dreadnought with a flamer and he let me use the flamer template on the guys in the back as long as I didn't touch any models in base contact, but I just wanted to see if this was actually legal or not.

Thanks!

No, not legal. You cannot fire weapons at any unit that is locked in close combat.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks dude, I figured that was the case, but the rule book says unit and model talking about the same thing like 2 sentences away from each other so I was confused.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

To clarify that, all models who are members of a unit that is in close combat are 'locked in close combat.' They may not be 'engaged in close combat' by being in btb or within 2" of a model in btb, but they are still locked. Locked and Engaged are two separate statuses.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

I think that the OP wanted to know if the rules referred to ‘models’ but it doesn’t.

It refers to ‘units’ and there in lies the answer.

Units lose their individuality for a lot of the rules in 40K and tend to act as cohesive groups to streamline the game.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

The only model which may fire into a combat is the Vindicare Assassin. (Daemonhunter FAQ)

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    The only model which may fire into a combat is the Vindicare Assassin. (Daemonhunter FAQ)

E.
    He's also in the Witch Hunters Codex.

+ Reply to Thread