Fast Transports & Passengers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

Fast Transports & Passengers

If a transport moved Flat Out in it's previous movement phase and is destroyed by enemy fire, are the passengers allowed to disembark? I had always thought this was not the case, assuming the wording "in that Movement phase" on page 70 referred to the vehicles latest move, but someone recently told me his Orks could disembark anyway. His argument was that the rule only counts during the Movement phase itself.

I can see how that might be true, but I'm still not entirely sure either way. What do you all think?

--•-My 40K projects-•--

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I would have to agree with the Ork player on that one. Because it specifically mentions "in that Movement phase." Once you shoot his trukk, his movement phase is already done with. With the absence of any mention of 'flat out in the previous turn' (as it specifically says under Assaulting Fast Vehicles, same page), then disembarking due to being shot down shouldn't matter if he moved or not his previous turn.

I think the not-being-able-to-disembark rule only applies if the vehicle unsuccessfully tank shocks a model at flat-out speed and is wrecked due to a failed death and glory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

I'm with you on that jy2. A couple things still bug me on this one. One is that is a very limited scope for something that's supposed to balance a really powerful ability. The second is that this is another one of those mechanics that doesn't make any logical sense. It's not like the vehicle is sitting around waiting to get shot during the opponent's turn, after all.

Anyway, I just want to make sure, since this could be one of those RAW vs RAI situations.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Yeah, I agree that it's not very consistent. It's one of those simplified 5th rules that could be subject to debate. Seems like the trend in the rulebook is:

1) assaulting a vehicle depends on its movement in its previous turn

2) a skimmer may get a cover save depending on its movement in its previous turn

It only seems natural to apply the same logic to other vehicular movement rules like embarkation/disembarkation. The difference is that the 2 rules above explicitly states that it depends on its previous turns whereas the latter doesn't. And actual rules make for poor logic in many cases. To me, it doesn't make sense that a tank can turn 180, move 12" and then pivot another 180 afterwards....all in 1 turn!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

p,67 BRB

The effects of damage to a vehicle tell you what you need to know.

Basically when a vehicle suffers a wreaked damage result the passengers are forced to disembark. This happens regardless of what phase the damage was dealt.

The p.70 rule only has an effect in the players movement phase not the enemies shooting phase. If a transport were to move flat out and ram an enemy vehicle and destroy itself the passengers would be destroyed because the p.70 rule disallows any embarking or disembarking during the movement phase.
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

I agree with everything said by jy2 and isitused... just as a side note, it may also be important to remember that Orks have their own vehicle destruction chart, which may or may not alter the rules as they apply here. (I don't play Orks or own the codex, so I'm not certain if it applies or not.)

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SMann233 View Post
    I agree with everything said by jy2 and isitused... just as a side note, it may also be important to remember that Orks have their own vehicle destruction chart, which may or may not alter the rules as they apply here. (I don't play Orks or own the codex, so I'm not certain if it applies or not.)
    It's called the Ramshackle special rule. Every time a Trukk gets a Vehicle Wrecked or Explodes, it rolls on a chart to see what happens.

+ Reply to Thread