25mm or 40mm - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25mm or 40mm

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

25mm or 40mm

In a recent game I had, I was using both my new termies on their standard 40mm bases and some of my older ones on 25mm bases also. My opponent proceeded to point out to me that they all (my terminators, that is) need to on the newer 40mm bases. As I recall, isn't it alright to use them if they were the original bases that came with the figures? Or is it in tournament settings where they have to be uniform and 1 size (the 40mm)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

UNFORTUNATELY it is ok for people to use both sizes as long as the model came with that size, although mixing both sizes in 1 squad would deserve a slap and I would not allow it, even in a friendly.

there is no reason why someone can't base them on 40mm bases, 5 of them only costs 80p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for asking another question, but it is kind of in line. What would people say if i modelled my chapter master on a 40?

And Stella Cadente, if you are so strict about it, shouldn't all models in terminator armor be on a large base then?

jy2: I wouldn't mind at all if you mixed the 2 sizes in one squad. Doesn't really matter in the long run.
    Last edited by ZaranVI; April 26th, 2009 at 00:04. Reason: forgot an answer
    "Only by defeat of the madness within can we hope to tame the beasts of our souls." - Chapter Master Erebes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

General practice is you can either put the mini on the base it came with, or bigger (I put my demon princes on 3inch bases instead of trying to jam them into the 2inch ones).

You can never go smaller.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Yep, the one it came in the box with and you may never go smaller. CM can go on a 40mm base no probs. I mounted my Grandmaster on a dreadnought base MasterCasper's deviantART gallery (shameless plug )
    Suppose thats where the whole necron lith argument comes in coz i dont think it actually comes with a base ..... does it? Anywho, as for mixing and matching old and new termies on the bases, it wouldnt bother me. Play on!

PL
    Last edited by Pheonix Lord; April 26th, 2009 at 05:54.
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by ZaranVI View Post
    Sorry for asking another question, but it is kind of in line. What would people say if i modeled my chapter master on a 40?
    using bigger bases is fine in my opinion, as long as you don't go stupid and put a bloke on a dreadnought base when hes only got termi/power armour on
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaranVI View Post
    And Stella Cadente, if you are so strict about it, shouldn't all models in terminator armor be on a large base then?
    thats what I said, like I said theres no reason not to, its cheap enough, its just people get lazy, if this was Fantasy you'd HAVE to put them on the correct base, but since the 40k rules were written by morons, we can't expect much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Nhyx View Post
    You can never go smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix Lord View Post
    Yep, the one it came in the box with and you may never go smaller.
    Of course, there's actually nothing in the rules re-inforcing this belief and you are no more entitled to use a larger base than came with your model than you are to use a smaller one. Either way it's done at your opponents discretion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
    if this was Fantasy you'd HAVE to put them on the correct base, but since the 40k rules were written by morons, we can't expect much
    Moot point. This is not fantasy, its 40k. If you want regimental, unit based games then yes you need conformity but since 40k is a squad based skirmish game them there will never be a perfect rule set because of the inherent flexibility in it.
    And why the hell not put your center piece model on a dread sized base?? It makes him stand out and the stuff modeled on him doesnt look cramped in. Its actually worse for me as you can get into cc easier so again, whats the problem?

PL
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix Lord View Post
    Moot point. This is not fantasy, its 40k. If you want regimental, unit based games then yes you need conformity but since 40k is a squad based skirmish game them there will never be a perfect rule set because of the inherent flexibility in it.
    And why the hell not put your center piece model on a dread sized base?? It makes him stand out and the stuff modeled on him doesnt look cramped in. Its actually worse for me as you can get into cc easier so again, whats the problem?

PL
    when you get out of a transport you gain a hell of allot of movement plonking your model on a dreadnought base, and worse if its a killing machine, I'd call it cheating personally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by drunkspleen View Post
    Of course, there's actually nothing in the rules re-inforcing this belief and you are no more entitled to use a larger base than came with your model than you are to use a smaller one. Either way it's done at your opponents discretion.
    The 'larger bases but not smaller ones' rule was in 4th Ed, and many people still have it in their brains.
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast