Multi-Shot Blasts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x3)

Multi-Shot Blasts

What's the deal with multi-shot blast weapons?

For example the Eldar Revenant Titan's pulsars (This was where I first encountered the issue) have "Heavy 2, 5" blast, Primary Weapon" - Do they both have to be aimed at the same model, then roll to scatter seperately, can you aim them at different models, or do they both hit and scatter together.

I can just see it being a problem with any blast weapon above 3-4 shots (mainly in apocalypse), you're pretty much wasting your shots because everything under the markers will be dead by the second or third shot.

Also, wih things like squads of Chaos Marine Havocs all equipped with Missile launchers - Say they were firing 4 Frag missiles at a unit of guard, do they all have to target the same model within the unit for the centre of the blast, or can they target different models? (Within the same unit obviously)

Thanks,

~ Lowell

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

The way you would figure it out would be to place the 1st shot and roll hit/scatter. Find out how many models were hit, and then repeat that until all the templates have been figured out. Then roll to wound in one big batch.
    It works the same for flame template weapons; you determine the number of models hit before rolling any to wound rolls.
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like isitused said, You roll the scatter for each blast one at a time keeping track of how many models are hit total. Then you roll to wound as a whole. This makes multiple blasts much more effective than in 4th edition where you rolled scatter, wound, and saves with each blast in turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Thief View Post
    Do they both have to be aimed at the same model, then roll to scatter seperately, can you aim them at different models, or do they both hit and scatter together.
    As the other guys answered, you must roll scatter for each blast separately.

As far as targeting the same model in the target unit, I don't see anything in the rulebook that would require you to do so.

I can't see too much advantage to not placing both/all blasts on the optimum spot, unless you were confident in the first blast doing the job, and you wanted the second to clip another unit. It is legal though...
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 (x3)

Thanks all, still not clear about one thing though

For a multi-shot single blast weapon, can you target different models within a unit? (we've established they scatter seperately).

I'll assume you can't until further notice, it seems highly unlikely, I'd just like to be sure.

~ L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can if you want to, but since you roll all the wounds at the same time it would be beneficial to place all the blasts in the same spot(the most models)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

I don't have my apoc rulebook here, but I was pretty sure that the titan can only change targets with each weapon, not each shot of the weapon.

Couldn't imagine shooting at 15 different things with the turbolaser on my warhound, that would take forever to figureout, lol
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to target the same model with all of your multi-blast weapons then scatter each one separately and total up the number of hits and then roll the wounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Hialmar View Post
    You have to target the same model with all of your multi-blast weapons then scatter each one separately and total up the number of hits and then roll the wounds.
    Source?

Anyway, as long as you're still targeting the same unit there's nothing I'm aware of in the main rulebook that requires you to center your shot in the same location/over the same model.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

P.30 BRB under "Multiple Blasts" tells us *how* to perform this. As for the positioning of the blast marker: it's not specified for blast markers to be placed so that they cover the largest number of models as is the case with "Template" weapons. However, why would you *not* try to take out as many of your opponent's troops as possible?

One of the things I've noticed recently in some games though is folk trying to lessen the effect of scatter by positioning the blast marker in the most advantageous place in an enemy squad. If the enemy unit is well spread out, the marker tends to be placed in the centre of the squad, regardless whether that gives the best result numerically of affected models. Since there is a 2:1 possibility of scattering, this seems to be the growing trend for selecting where to put the marker.

If the enemy unit is closely grouped together, then the model at the centre is usually chosen in order to gain the most from the 1:2 possibility of having a "Hit" result.

As for centering the multiple markers over the same model, Deris87 is right: there isn't anything specifically said in the rules which requires you to do this. However, it would be a logical thing to do if the rules for firing multiple markers are followed as per P.30 BRB, as it would surely net the highest number of potential casualties since you would be placing the markers over the highest number of enemy models.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread