Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Has anyone put any thought to this subject? I have in some games felt the need to submit some of my own units to the risk of friendly fire, because I would inflict greater damage on the enemy.
For example, let's say a high value close combat unit has assaulted a low value unit of mine. And let's also say there's a high value ranged unit of mine near by. Now, what I'd like to do is to open up on the melee, risk hitting my own units but also have a chance to blow away a dangerous close combat unit while it's locked in place.
I generally don't use flamers, but they are another possible use for this. A situation where one of your models is in the way of a flamer model being able to hit 3 enemies...I'd like to take that chance of wounding my own.
I've was thinking maybe a 25%, 50% and 75% chance of hitting either friend or foe when firing into an assault, depending on the angle. For example if the enemy is closest the firing unit, there should only be a 25% chance of me hitting my own guys. From the side 50% and with my own guys closest to the firing unit a 75% chance of them getting hit.
Of course actually rolling the shooting phase would be a pain, first rolling who gets hit and then the regular formula for both friendlies and enemies...but still, I'd like the option. Any thoughts?
The rules do not allow you to fire on an enemy unit locked in combat with one of your own units. This is an ironclad rule and I do not see how it is open for discussion.
Of course, if you are saying that you would like to play it that way as a house rule, go right ahead, but the rules forum is not the proper place to discuss it.
-Thread Killer Bryan
Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept
I have thought about this and a 50% chance of hitting the enemy and 50% of hitting your own guys woyld be the most balanced way IMO.
With some armies it makes sense that they would do this but with others it doesn't really. I couldn't see marines shooting at their bretheren to help wipe out that guard squad just because it's turn 7 and the combat's contesting an objective.
IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11
In Necromunda you are given the choice to shoot into close-combat if you so wish, however you must make a 50-50 roll on a D6, i.e. 1-3 you hit your own unit, 4-6 you hit their unit.
I feel as a house rule, this would be the only way to make it work correctly. Although personally, I would stick to the rules as they are in the book...
And for Tau, as long as it is for the Greater Good...
But I agree with the 50/50...as long as the numbers are equal. If there was, say 15 orks vs 5 marines, then it'll probably be 75%/25% of hitting orks/marines (15/20 vs 5/2O). It gets kinda complicated.
I'd also say the unit firing upon friendlies would have to pass a Leadership test in order to fire upon its own (representing its doubts, guilt and unease at massacring its own).
Trust a Tau player to try and maximize his shooting phase. Shame on you. XD
"Show 'em the gunline, Boss"
So although as a base I agree with you there are exceptions and do you see how I am opening a discussion on it?
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.