Thunderfire - Subterranean Blast - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Thunderfire - Subterranean Blast

A pair of small confusing scenarios regarding the Tremor special rule.

1) If a TFC fires (Subterranean) at a unit X, scores several hits, however causes no wounds. OR if all the wounds are successfully saved, Is the Tremor rule still applied to unit X on its next turn?

2) If a TFC fires (Subterranean) at a unit Y, and scores kills, When unit Y begins its movement they are treated as moving through difficult terrain. If their standard 6" movement would bring them into another piece of difficult terrain would they then suffer the loss of 1 die, per the Tremor rule ?

Example below:

YYYYYY

o O o O
    o O o

Unit Y is moving south. The difficult rocky terrain ( o's ) is 3" from Y. To move south would Y be forced to roll only 1 die for their difficult terrain movement.

Or does that additional rule only apply if the target unit is already currently in difficult terrain?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Xpyre35 View Post
    A pair of small confusing scenarios regarding the Tremor special rule.

1) If a TFC fires (Subterranean) at a unit X, scores several hits, however causes no wounds. OR if all the wounds are successfully saved, Is the Tremor rule still applied to unit X on its next turn?

2) If a TFC fires (Subterranean) at a unit Y, and scores kills, When unit Y begins its movement they are treated as moving through difficult terrain. If their standard 6" movement would bring them into another piece of difficult terrain would they then suffer the loss of 1 die, per the Tremor rule ?

Example below:

YYYYYY

o O o O
    o O o

Unit Y is moving south. The difficult rocky terrain ( o's ) is 3" from Y. To move south would Y be forced to roll only 1 die for their difficult terrain movement.

Or does that additional rule only apply if the target unit is already currently in difficult terrain?
    1) I need to double check the codex, but I'm almost certain that the Tremor ability only requires you to hit the model, not wound it.

2) In practice, a player only makes a difficult terrain roll once per turn and uses that result. As that unit did not start in difficult terrain, it would simply roll 2D6 and pick the highest as normal - if it managed its way into difficult terrain, it would simply keep using that result.

It's kind of in the same vein as the question of one player starting on difficult ground, leaving it, and then entering another in the same movement phase. You still only roll the check once in that situation.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SMann233 View Post
    1) I need to double check the codex, but I'm almost certain that the Tremor ability only requires you to hit the model, not wound it.
    That's correct, yes.

2) In practice, a player only makes a difficult terrain roll once per turn and uses that result. As that unit did not start in difficult terrain, it would simply roll 2D6 and pick the highest as normal - if it managed its way into difficult terrain, it would simply keep using that result.
    I'd say you're wrong on this one - the codex states "if the unit moves through difficult terrain", which implies at any point of the movement phase as otherwise it would say "if the unit is already in difficult terrain".
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by SMann233 View Post

It's kind of in the same vein as the question of one player starting on difficult ground, leaving it, and then entering another in the same movement phase. You still only roll the check once in that situation.
    Take the TFC out of the equation for a second. If a unit is outside of difficult terrain attempting to move in, they have to roll 2d6 for a difficult terrain check. The Tremor rule requires that "if the unit is actually moving through difficult terrain, it rolls one less dice than normal." As units attempting to move into difficult terrain are already rolling a difficult terrain test, per the tremor rule they roll one dice less to determine their maximum distance. I'm not sure I understand the comparison to moving out of and then into terrain; you only ever roll one difficult terrain check per turn, the question is how many dice do you get in a given situation.

+ Reply to Thread