Shooting & Mutliple assault question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Shooting & Mutliple assault question

Hi, I've never had an issue with this but was brought up last night in a game relating to shooting then assaulting.

What happened was I was playing SM vs IG, and I fired the flamer and pistols of my assault squad into a unit of guard and his command behind the unit was also hit by the flamer. A heavy weapons team was also directly next to the unit of guardsmen which was not fired upon.

After shooting I declared assault on the guard unit and HW team which was within 1" of the guardsmen and within 1" of my assault squad when I was shooting, however he said I could only assault the guardsmen since I fired at them and that I can only assault the unit which was fired upon. Therefore, since I assaulted the crippled guardsmen only and lost because the heavy weapons team was able to fire at my assault squad and wiped them out for the winning KP.

I was not able to assault both the guardsmen and command since they were behind the guardsmen unit and not in reach. However, if they were side by side would I be able to assault them as well then too since technically I did fire at them too with the flamer hitting both units. Would this be the loophole to be able to fire and assault multiple units by having the flamer cross other units?

Was he correct in this situation? If I fired at the guardsmen (beleiving it would do the most damage since HW teams are 2 wounds a base now) can I:
    a. Only assault the guardsmen
    b. Assault both the guardsmen and HW team
    c. Assault the guardsmen and command - if they were in range

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Your primary charge must be at the unit you fired at. Once the first model is moved though, you can move models into contact with whatever else you like so long as 1. You have the movement to get there and 2. You retain unit coherency.

Pg. 34 under ASSAULTING MULTIPLE ENEMY UNITS

If the assault unit shot in the shooting phase then it must declare its assault against the unit is shot at, but it can engage other enemies as described here
    As an aside, only one unit can be the "target" of your shooting, other units hit by the shooting are not considered "targets" and so need not be engaged. They are just the poor bastards that wnadered into the way.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Ya we looked that up too, but he said and was adamant that I could only declare and assault the unit which I fired at.

Thanks though! I'll be sure to know next time

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

You can indeed only declare your initial assault against the unit that you shot (so if they all die, or break & run out of range, you're SOL). However, if you make that assault, there's nothing stopping you from multi-charging anyone/everyone else as long as you follow the rules for moving charging units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastershake View Post
    Your primary charge must be at the unit you fired at. Once the first model is moved though, you can move models into contact with whatever else you like so long as 1. You have the movement to get there and 2. You retain unit coherency.

Pg. 34 under ASSAULTING MULTIPLE ENEMY UNITS

As an aside, only one unit can be the "target" of your shooting, other units hit by the shooting are not considered "targets" and so need not be engaged. They are just the poor bastards that wnadered into the way.
    What he said, especially the bit about incidental hits with shooting attacks. It's funny, because you can fire your Terminator's Cyclone Launcher at Squad A, have the templates scatter into Squad B and wipe them out, and you'd still be able to assault Squad A since they were the target of your shooting

But yeah, anyway. You were royally screwed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    155 (x2)

In addition to what has already been said it is actually possible depending on how things were set up that you were required to assault the heavy weapon team. In the rules for moving assaulting models it states that
    If possible, the model must move into base contact with an enemy model within reach that is not already in bases contact with an assaulting model.
    So if you are already have a model in base contact with every model of the infantry squad and have an assault marine who can reach the heavy weapon team then you are actually required to move into base to base with the model from the heavy weapon team.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    In addition to what has already been said it is actually possible depending on how things were set up that you were required to assault the heavy weapon team. In the rules for moving assaulting models it states that

So if you are already have a model in base contact with every model of the infantry squad and have an assault marine who can reach the heavy weapon team then you are actually required to move into base to base with the model from the heavy weapon team.
    That applies to the unit(s) you're choosing to assualt. It doesn't actually force you to charge someone you don't want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

155 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    That applies to the unit(s) you're choosing to assualt. It doesn't actually force you to charge someone you don't want to.
    As far as I have seen it never specifies that it applies only to the unit you are charging.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    As far as I have seen it never specifies that it applies only to the unit you are charging.
    pg 34, BRB - Moving Assaulting Models 2nd paragraph

The model selected must be the one closest to the enemy (going around impassable terrain, friendly models and enemy models in units not being assaulted).
    All of the rules for moving assaulting units still fall under the main heading paragraph of pg 34. "...with the unit they have declared an assault against." This is the context for which all the rules that follow are speaking of.

+ Reply to Thread